• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rule changes

Brandon

Brought it up on the ESPN telecast. We've talked about it before, but looks like rules are finally going to be discussed and presented.

Mentioned people are leaving during the 6th and 7th innings because people don't want to sit through 3 1/2 hours of a game.

They talked about a shot clock for pitchers, limiting batters leaving the box, mound visits. In favor?

I've only been to three games this year and part of the reason is this issue. Two games we had to leave in the 8th because it was around 11pm.

Brought it up on the ESPN telecast. We've talked about it before, but looks like rules are finally going to be discussed and presented.

Mentioned people are leaving during the 6th and 7th innings because people don't want to sit through 3 1/2 hours of a game.

They talked about a shot clock for pitchers, limiting batters leaving the box, mound visits. In favor?

I've only been to three games this year and part of the reason is this issue. Two games we had to leave in the 8th because it was around 11pm.

They already have the shot clock for pitchers. Umps just don't enforce the rule. As for the batters box, there is no reason why a player needs to leave the box a 2nd time to fix their gloves. But the whole coach's challenge had added time to the game. Last year during a bad call, the manager would run out and contest it. Now they SLOWLY walk toward the ump while someone upstairs waits for a replay. If the play looks correct, they wait and do it again on the next close play. That's got to be addressed.

I've been saying for years that they should just get rid of time out. Sure it's a pretty drastic change, but why not, couldn't the game be better for it?

No more mound visits

No more stepping out of the box

No more excessive body armor

No more throwing every other ball out

The result is consistent baseball, greater emphasis on base running, and shorter games.

They already have the shot clock for pitchers. Umps just don't enforce the rule. As for the batters box, there is no reason why a player needs to leave the box a 2nd time to fix their gloves. But the whole coach's challenge had added time to the game. Last year during a bad call, the manager would run out and contest it. Now they SLOWLY walk toward the ump while someone upstairs waits for a replay. If the play looks correct, they wait and do it again on the next close play. That's got to be addressed.

The problem with the current "shot clock" is that no one knows when the clock started. They need to make it visible like the NBA and NFL.

I'd be fine with a visible shot clock for pitchers, as long as it's not the first pitch of an AB. Just start the clock whenever the pitcher gets the ball back from his catcher. I'd also like to see non-change mound visits treated like time outs. You get three per game.

I'd be fine with a visible shot clock for pitchers, as long as it's not the first pitch of an AB. Just start the clock whenever the pitcher gets the ball back from his catcher. I'd also like to see non-change mound visits treated like time outs. You get three per game.

They should just eliminate them all together. You should only be able to stop the game to substitute a player. If the baserunner calls time out, then he has to be pinch ran for, if the batter does, then you gotta pinch hit for him etc. 

Kole Calhoun is about the worst offender of leaving the batters box after a strike call, backing up almost to the on deck circle, play with his gloves then walk back and expect the umpire to respect his hand up wait signal as he settles back in. I am all in favor of if you weren't knocked down you don't leave the box. You leave you get a strike called.

Same goes with pitchers f'ing around shaking off 8 signs when they only can throw three pitches. You get on that rubber, get the sign and pitch. Quit slowing the game down by going through some ritual.

There's actually a lot of little quirks they could change.

- Toss the 7th inning stretch

- Get rid of dudes throwing it around the horn

- Shorten or get rid of "warming up" every half inning

- Limit amount of throws to first with a runner on

- If a reliever walks in from the pen he gets kicked in the balls

- Speaking of which, get rid of them warming up when they enter. They just did that for 10-15 minutes before entering

- Have Esteban Yan sing the national anthem

Nothing about the between innings is going to change, that's advertising time and it generates revenue. I would simply change it to where the batter can't step out of the box in between pitches. Also change it to where the pitcher has 10 seconds to deliver a pitch. The one thing that would speed up the game most would be to call the actual strike zone. Lastly I would consider any trip to the mound whether it was the pitching coach or the catcher as a trip to the mound. This last one is more radical but how bout only one pitching change an inning unless of course there's an injury. If you come out because of an "injury" you must sit out X number of games, to prevent phantom injuries.

Isn't there a 'rule' that once the pitcher receives the baseball they have to pitch in 12 seconds or less?

If that's real...than how bout just enforcing it and instantly shaving 20-30 minutes off each game that guys like Buerhle don't start.

Edited by DW711

Isn't there a 'rule' that once the pitcher receives the baseball they have to pitch in 12 seconds or less?

If that's real...than how bout just enforcing it and instantly shaving 20-30 minutes off each game that guys like Buerhle don't start.

what would be the penalty? pitcher getting automatically charged with a ball in the count or something?

Screw it, this is what I'd do.

Batters: Can only 'step out' once per at bat. Do it again, it's a strike.

If you break your bat...you better damn well have another one ready to go.

Another thing...no more conferring with the 3rd base coac. You don't know the signs or afraid the other team is stealing them? Try harder during practice.

Pitchers: Once you receive the ball from the catcher, you have 15 seconds. Don't throw it under 15 seconds? It's a ball.

Coaches: One meeting at the mound per inning that can not exceed 30 seconds. Go longer? You're ejected! Ok, I don't know what I'd do if they went over.

Position players (apart from catchers): You're no longer allowed to talk to the pitcher during the inning. The catcher gets one chance per inning. I don't care if you're Derek Jeter or Joe Panik

Replay: Get some people with actual eyes to watch these calls and make sure they get angles that actually matter and not a birds eye view from the Goodyear blimp. Why do they give the best angle fourth, btw?

Every single call should be made in no more than one minute.

Unfortunately, all the stalling crap with commercials involved will never be changed.

When there's a lefty in the pen who has obviously been warmed up for 5 minutes gets called in...they take a commercial and he still gets eight more warm up tosses.... Those are always great.

Edited by DW711