• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Richards seriously injures knee

Brandon

Who told you that the ligaments are torn? Sure, it's a hypothetical situation, but why is everyone directly going to the Armageddon assumptions? Yes, awful, awful situation. But in no way does this mean that the Angels 100% doomed for the 2014 season.

Nobody told me anything. I said "If". And I never said the team was doomed.

Richards would be out for the season if ligaments are torn. If it's just a dislocation, then we're talking a much less serious situation.

Could very well be a dislocated kneecap. I know those tend to be very painful, though I don't know how long such an injury would keep Richards out. 

According to this, if surgery is not required, full recovery in three to six weeks. If surgery is necessary, 10 to 12 weeks.

http://nemsi.uchc.edu/clinical_services/orthopaedic/knee/patellar_dislocation.html

This is the Angels we are talking about.  When they say Patella injury, that's Angels speak of we have no clue, but it's in that area.  Just like forarm tightness, nothing major, suddenly became tommy john surgery once people in the know saw him back in the OC.  

And yes, I'm not a fan of the Angels medical staff.  

At this point, I'd take 2-3 starts of Michael Roth to have Richards back this season. And with that, that's only 2-3 games without Richards, which will not break the season. What really irks me is how everyone in this thread wrote the Angels off the second Richards hit the floor. Have some faith, fellas. 

Well, not the second.  More like after the 15 minutes he was lying on his back clutching his knee in agony.

I'm sure Dochalo will chime in but I found this website here: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00512

Some information that might be relevant. It's one of the only sites I found that had what appears to be detailed information on Patella injuries. Minimum time out is 4-6 weeks and possibly longer depending on how serious the injury is. That doesn't account for rehab assignment either so he's done for the year (as if you didn't probably already realize that).

That would imply a dislocated kneecap, actually

Interesting. Surprised that would be noticeable through loose baseball pants but I'm not a doctor. Gubi and Smith said repeatedly that something was sticking out or bulging around the knee area.

Interesting. Surprised that would be noticeable through loose baseball pants but I'm not a doctor. Gubi and Smith said repeatedly that something was sticking out or bulging around the knee area.

I'm not a doctor either(just a big Doogie Howser fan) but having seen other dislocated kneecaps before, it usually is displaced tot he side and is noticeably sticking out, though I agree, should have been hard to see that through his loose pants. Just like with what we're doing, the Halos radio guys were just speculating

Team announced it as just a left patellar injury

From what I have read not only do patellar injuries look extremely painful, but it appears that often times this type of injury requires surgery.

I would not expect Richards to return to the team anytime this season, and hopefully its something that doesn't affect his career long term.

Uggh. Nothing you can do now but hope it's nothing serious.

And for those that think we should have done more. really??? I thought dipoto did well considering his budget restraints.

we have to remember last year's 4 and 5 was Blanton and Hanson. I think you were asking for too much to get a seventh quality pitcher this year. especially when we only had three quality pitchers last year.