• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It Might Get Worse Before It Gets Better

First of all, the sky isn't falling. Its three games into the season. I know that Hamilton and Pujols are 2-23, but let's give this some time.

That said, the Angels are going to Texas for a three game series. Chances are they leave Arlington 2-4, even 1-5. If either happens, don't panic!

My preseason prediction (not sure if I voiced it here) is that they'd be around .500 in April (13-14?), start warming up in May and be hot in June and hopefully strong for the rest of the year.

But remember that this is a relatively new team - lots of new faces and it might take a bit to see how it all fits together. But I think it will. The most encouraging thing so far is how good the bullpen has been - that was one of the team's Achilles' heels going forward. And even if Trout takes a step back and Pujols and Hamilton don't return to peak form, they offense is going to score some runs. The only significant question, in my mind, is the starting pitching. But even then at worse it will be pretty average (but not poor). Best-case scenario and it is actually pretty good (but not great).

To put it another way, at worst the Angels will have an average pitching staff and a very good offense, which makes for an 85-90 win team. But that's at worst. More likely the staff is above average and the offense excellent, which makes for a 90-95 win team. And if everything gels just right then this team could win 95+ games.

So hang in there, but also temper your expectations, especially in April. Let the team figure out who they are.If they're under .500 on June 1st, OK, we can panic.

Most people like to take the Chicken Little road. :)

So you are saying the resaon the chicken crossed the road is to see if the sky was falling? It's about time someone answered that.

We go into Texas with our #4 and 5 pitchers for the first two games unless Scioscia decides the extra day off after the opener was enough rest to pitch Weaver in the #5 spot. Insteresting quandry is do the Angels bump the rotation up and possibly create more starts from the strongest pitchers or just keep on the path of 1-5 and cycle back to the start.

Seriously, I don't think anyone here thinks the sky is falling. It was a close series on the road to a top team. Although it's a little disappointing that our front of the lineup couldn't perform any better ... on the other side, the team did face their best pitchers.

So.... what does that say about the Angels???

That they played a team who won 96 or 97 games last year very tough in extremely cold weather for baseball to be played in. I feel just fine coming out of this series 1-2 TBH. the Reds have one hell of a team all around and are considered a top 3 team in the NL by many. Coming out of opening series of the season on the road at 1-2 is okay with me. We lost one game on a walk off and the other game only lost by 1 as well. 

So.... what does that say about the Angels???

Means they lost two one run games in the other team's park?  

I don't think we can really gather much from these first few games.  

Weaver kept a team off balance, Wilson, battles his control, Blanton has a propensity for the long ball and some parks will hurt him.  Unless Pujols, Trout, and Hamilton all lost the ability to hit, and the team can no longer field well, they look to be pretty much what we knew them to be IMO.

Im more worried that Vargas and Hanson will also be what they are and give up even more HRs in TBIA.

First of all, the sky isn't falling. Its three games into the season. I know that Hamilton and Pujols are 2-23, but let's give this some time.

That said, the Angels are going to Texas for a three game series. Chances are they leave Arlington 2-4, even 1-5. If either happens, don't panic!

My preseason prediction (not sure if I voiced it here) is that they'd be around .500 in April (13-14?), start warming up in May and be hot in June and hopefully strong for the rest of the year.

But remember that this is a relatively new team - lots of new faces and it might take a bit to see how it all fits together. But I think it will. The most encouraging thing so far is how good the bullpen has been - that was one of the team's Achilles' heels going forward. And even if Trout takes a step back and Pujols and Hamilton don't return to peak form, they offense is going to score some runs. The only significant question, in my mind, is the starting pitching. But even then at worse it will be pretty average (but not poor). Best-case scenario and it is actually pretty good (but not great).

To put it another way, at worst the Angels will have an average pitching staff and a very good offense, which makes for an 85-90 win team. But that's at worst. More likely the staff is above average and the offense excellent, which makes for a 90-95 win team. And if everything gels just right then this team could win 95+ games.

So hang in there, but also temper your expectations, especially in April. Let the team figure out who they are.If they're under .500 on June 1st, OK, we can panic.

This post turns me on. Should be included in our silver linings thread, but I'm going to promote this to the Blog. 

This post turns me on. Should be included in our silver linings thread, but I'm going to promote this to the Blog. 

Thanks, Chuck. My post wasn't a tweet, so it takes a bit of patient (and reading comprehension) to get it. I'm feeling optimistic, just not gonzo. We need to give this team some time to come together, but they will.

AJ, nice post. I've never expected this team to jump out of the gate and run and hide. I do expect them to be competitive and so far they have.

Yep. You can't complain about taking a 13 inning game and losing two close one run games back to back against a very good team, on the road, in the cold. 

Holland > Vargas

Harrison > Hanson

Darvish ? Weaver

we better score a lot of runs  :(

So you are saying the resaon the chicken crossed the road is to see if the sky was falling? It's about time someone answered that.

We go into Texas with our #4 and 5 pitchers for the first two games unless Scioscia decides the extra day off after the opener was enough rest to pitch Weaver in the #5 spot. Insteresting quandry is do the Angels bump the rotation up and possibly create more starts from the strongest pitchers or just keep on the path of 1-5 and cycle back to the start.

Wouldn't the sky be falling on both sides of the road? I assume it's the same sky.