• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Makes You Realize

mulwin444

it's a bit mind boggling to see this teams deficiencies at a time when they've taken off and have the game's best record. it doesn't really compute.

I think it relates to the payroll and expectations. We have extremely high expectations for Hamilton and Pujols, and overall both have been contributors to the team, just not anywhere near what we'd want. The team has been really deep this year as well, and hasn't really encountered any insurmountable injuries. I think we've only used six starters this year also (was there a 7th for like one game?). We also made a bunch of trades for solid relievers.

Very good post. It makes me think of the "grass is always greener" effect, in addition to forgetting what things actually used to be like. It's easy to look back at our best teams from this era (2002, 2008 and 2009) as amazing and forget all their flaws, but of course that wasn't the case. All were great teams, but they all had their flaws. In 2002 we had major pitching issues, in 2008 the offense was very bleak until Teixeira came over and in 2009 the back end of the rotation stunk. It's also easy to look at Oakland and wonder why we can't have pitching as good as that, or look at some of the best offensive teams and think the same things. But they all had their flaws too. Despite some significant concerns about this team, we're still very good. And as frustrating as they can still be, it's awfully fun to watch.

Some of these "good" Angels teams have not been all that great. The 2005 Angels that went to the ALCS couldn't hit worth a lick, they still won 95 games. There is a fine line between good and bad teams in MLB, just look at the difference between 2013 an 2014.

There was an article about the difference between the 2013/14 Angels today. And to your point, it basically pointed out how several "small" improvements can make a huge difference.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/los-angeles-angels-al-west-comeback-mike-trout-garrett-richards/

Very good post. It makes me think of the "grass is always greener" effect, in addition to forgetting what things actually used to be like. It's easy to look back at our best teams from this era (2002, 2008 and 2009) as amazing and forget all their flaws, but of course that wasn't the case. All were great teams, but they all had their flaws. In 2002 we had major pitching issues, in 2008 the offense was very bleak until Teixeira came over and in 2009 the back end of the rotation stunk. It's also easy to look at Oakland and wonder why we can't have pitching as good as that, or look at some of the best offensive teams and think the same things. But they all had their flaws too. Despite some significant concerns about this team, we're still very good. And as frustrating as they can still be, it's awfully fun to watch.

While the 2009 team had flaws, I really thought that they would win the world series. That ALCS against the Yankees still upsets me, especially game 2 when Fuentes blew it in extra innings.

He only posts when the Angels are doing well. He's the opposite of everyone else here.

So true. I never read other teams' mb (except that hilarious yankee thread about the Halos lol) but lately I've been checking out our opponents' boards to see if they are as bad as AW. Nope

Much, much worse!

After reading AW every day I was starting to think we are the worst franchise ever, well, other than the Rangers. It's amazing how other fans think we're one of the best franchises in mlb.

Who woulda thunk it?

nice post.

baseball is a game of imperfection. getting a hit 30% of the time is excellent. winning a game 60% of the time is better than everyone else. There is always room for improvement which also requires some level of acceptance for error.

For Angel fans right now it's a very fine line. Because of recent past, we are always concerned about that one moment when we go back to being an underachieving team.

We used to be more inclined to sit back and enjoy the ride. Staying the course through rough patches knowing things will get better. Now we are just looking past the good waiting for the bad shit to happen.

The last 28 games have been a testament to how this year is different. Win or lose, this is a very good team. They win even when things aren't going right. So here is to perspective and changing our mentality from waiting for them to lose to just riding out the rough patches like we used to.

Edited by Dochalo

NYYFan'sThe Official I Hate the Angels Thread  finally died 10-28-09 at 12:34 AM. Five years that thread played out the Yankee fans hate for everything Angels and when they won that playoff in 2009 they let it go.

Well, **** them they are still assholes.

One of the greatest threads ever. I wish there were some way to resurrect it

I'll add on a bit to the OP. This offense has been terrible since the all star break. We are last in the AL is batting average, OPS, SLG%, OBP, and 2nd worst in strikeouts and home runs, but somehow have gained 2 games on the A's. Oddly enough, we lead the AL in doubles since the break. Here's hoping we win the series this weekend:

Friday: Hammel vs. Santiago

Saturday: Gray vs. Wilson 

Sunday: Lester vs. Weaver

Considering:

- Kendrick has lost any semblance of power and puckers at the plate at the slightest hint of a crucial situation.  I think he and Pujols takes turns branding  a big "DP" on the dugout bench whenever they kill a rally.

it makes you realize how tough this game is to play and how flawed other teams are not named the Angels.

We see their weaknesses on a daily basis so they are magnified and stand out to us but from an outsider perspective they would see Calhoun/Trout/Pujols as a pretty potent 1-3, Aybar an All Star shortstop, Kendrick as a solid vet hitting in the .280's, a solid rotation 1-5 and a kick-ass BP. 

The Angels have the best record in baseball.  Imagine how frustrating following the other 29 teams must be.

Remember '09 - '13 and try your best to enjoy now...despite the flaws, errors, and seeming ineptness.  There is a lot of failing in this game and remember that:

- Pujols and Hamilton have the realistic ability to improve and get hot

- Despite his recent struggles, Trout is still the best in practically every important offensive category

- With each start, history tells us Wilson gets closer to getting his shizz together

- Kendrick and Aybar are better than 95%+ of the alternatives out there...no, really

- Conger is still young and makes a very good catching duo with Ianetta, complementing the latters defensive shortcomings

- Weaver is playoff tested and will dominate at home during SEPT/OCT

Its easy to see the negatives because, with the having the best record in baseball, its all there is left to talk about after they've added another "W".

Agree with your stoicism and frustration, and appreciate the level-headedness.  Will say one thing:  we've all known for years that Howie can't hit in the clutch.

NYYFan's The Official I Hate the Angels Thread  finally died 10-28-09 at 12:34 AM. Five years that thread played out the Yankee fans hate for everything Angels and when they won that playoff in 2009 they let it go.

Well, **** them they are still assholes.

I thought that forum was going to completely melt down when Ryan Budde hit a walkoff against them.