• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ferguson Unrest

I just got back from Ferguson because I wanted to show my support but when I ran in the PGA Superstore all that was left was a Odyssey 3-ball putter and a Yonex graphite driver.  

you were lucky to get out of there as quickly as you did. those yonex drivers really blow.

This is a perfect case of why I always say, wait for the investigation to complete before rushing to judgement..

That said however, The Officer may not have known, but Big Mike knew that he was a robbing-thug when he met the Officer.  I agree; it's time that folks take back responsibility for all their actions and raising their kids right.

I brought up big mike's size, because you don't understand how fighting in Law Enforcement works..  There are two reasons why suspects fight with us-

1.  Escape.  Sometimes that's fine and dandy for a low-level offender or named suspect to get away, because they will be caught later, and don't pose much risk to the public  If it is a violent criminal trying to escape in order to continue with his/her violence, then we have a duty to stop them.  This is called a substantial risk.  For example, I might shoot an un-armed suspect covered in blood who is not following my directions and preventing me from rendering aid to injured victims (probably not if I had back-up/K9 onscene).

2.  To kill an Officer.  Most times it's easy to realize which suspect we're dealing with, but when you know someone is trying to kill you it's the fight of your life.  This suspect is an imminent threat to the Officer, and anyone who gets in his/her way (public- carjacking, home-invasion, etc.)

I talk about big mike's size, because Officers are allowed to meet the threat of force with reasonable force.  When I'm confronted by an MMA fighter who takes a fighting stance, I'm not going to try to wrestle with him/her.  If I'm alone, I won't even try to use my flashlight or baton because they are trained to take a lot of damage.  I might try to use my taser, but would probably hold him/her at gunpoint while directing him/her to prone-out on the ground.  We use loud directions, explaining that we think they are trained fighters so everyone can hear.

http://dailysignal.com/2014/08/25/area-residents-take-streets-ferguson-reason-think/

Area Residents Take to the Streets of Ferguson. But Not for the Reason You Think.

St. Louis County residents who wanted their voices to be heard decided to show up in Ferguson, Mo. Their goal: To give some much-needed business to shops damaged by vandals and looters.

There are two Supreme Court decisions, Tennessee v. Garner and Graham v. Connor, that establish a foundation for dictating when use of deadly force by police officers is reasonable. Under law, police officers are permitted to shoot under two circumstances. The first is to protect their life or the life of another innocent party—this is sometimes referred to as the “defense-of-life” standard. The second circumstance is to prevent a suspect from escaping, but only in circumstances in which the police officer has probable cause to believe the suspect has committed a serious violent felony. Basically both legal standards, defense-of-life and fleeing a violent felony, dictate that it does not matter if there is an actual threat when force is used. The officer must only have an "objectively reasonable" belief that there is a threat.

There are two Supreme Court decisions, Tennessee v. Garner and Graham v. Connor, that establish a foundation for dictating when use of deadly force by police officers is reasonable. Under law, police officers are permitted to shoot under two circumstances. The first is to protect their life or the life of another innocent party—this is sometimes referred to as the “defense-of-life” standard. The second circumstance is to prevent a suspect from escaping, but only in circumstances in which the police officer has probable cause to believe the suspect has committed a serious violent felony. Basically both legal standards, defense-of-life and fleeing a violent felony, dictate that it does not matter if there is an actual threat when force is used. The officer must only have an "objectively reasonable" belief that there is a threat.

There was a perfect example of the "objectively reasonable" standard here in Omaha last night. The police shot a person holding up a Wendy's with an Airsoft gun. Those things look pretty realistic, so it seems that the cops acted perfectly reasonably.

The police actually showed a picture of the Airsoft pistol next to a Taurus pistol. Looked nearly identical. It'd be impossible to tell the difference from more than a few feet away. And considering the guy was pointing it directly at a cashier, I'd call it a good shoot on the part of the Omaha PD. The sad part is that they were actually filming an episode of Cops and one of the audio guys was killed. Just a terrible accident.

The police actually showed a picture of the Airsoft pistol next to a Taurus pistol. Looked nearly identical. It'd be impossible to tell the difference from more than a few feet away. And considering the guy was pointing it directly at a cashier, I'd call it a good shoot on the part of the Omaha PD. The sad part is that they were actually filming an episode of Cops and one of the audio guys was killed. Just a terrible accident.

I'm guessing it wasn't the airsoft guy that killed him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...