• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why bunt there?

The book play is not to walk Pujols. That is the furthest thing from the truth. That puts the go ahead run on base without us having to do anything. When you are ahead you make them earn everything no matter who is at the plate especially when you have one of the best closers in the game on the mound. Walking Pujols would of been ludicrous.  

Votto's run yesterday was meaningless. The only run that mattered was standing on second base. You walk Votto because you don't let their best hitter have a chance to hit when the only run that matters is the one on second. Let Phillips beat you because even if he hits a gapper, it doesn't matter if Votto scores. If Hamilton hits a gapper, and Pujols scores, the Reds are now losing and you made Pujols do nothing to earn it.

I hate to be blunt, but you are wrong. 

Again Roblin, missing the situation for the trees. The Reds need was one run to win the game so Votto was a non factor as you said. So the Angels must get the outs and prevent a single run to score. They had the matchup on the mound as left vs right but that should have been pitching with no intent to give Votto something to hit. That is on Downs giving away a meatball.

But today  the Angels real need was to get Trout home in hopes of a tie. The Reds already had the home field advantage last night with the tie in place, the Angel needed that one run today more just to stay alive. So anything to secure the tie was in order and for the Reds a single run prevented does not insure the Angels a victory since they have last at bat.

The Reds had Chapman on the mound, a lefty in the wings and following Mark Trumbo that has plenty of problems with plate discipline. They do not have any real negatives walking Pujols, a poor runner, with Hamilton a free swinger up next. They do set up an inning ending double play. Pujols is not scoring on even a gapper by Hamilton, he was already thrown out once today if not for the catcher not making the tag.

And as I said before, the Reds have last at bat. So play for the double play and get the bat out of one of the best hitters in the majors.

Again Roblin, missing the situation for the trees. The Reds need was one run to win the game so Votto was a non factor as you said. So the Angels must get the outs and prevent a single run to score. They had the matchup on the mound as left vs right but that should have been pitching with no intent to give Votto something to hit. That is on Downs giving away a meatball.

But today  the Angels real need was to get Trout home in hopes of a tie. The Reds already had the home field advantage last night with the tie in place, the Angel needed that one run today more just to stay alive. So anything to secure the tie was in order and for the Reds a single run prevented does not insure the Angels a victory since they have last at bat.

The Reds had Chapman on the mound, a lefty in the wings and following Mark Trumbo that has plenty of problems with plate discipline. They do not have any real negatives walking Pujols, a poor runner, with Hamilton a free swinger up next. They do set up an inning ending double play. Pujols is not scoring on even a gapper by Hamilton, he was already thrown out once today if not for the catcher not making the tag.

And as I said before, the Reds have last at bat. So play for the double play and get the bat out of one of the best hitters in the majors.

100% disagree, but that's okay. One thing I think we all can agree on is let's get the hell out of Cincinnati and pound Texas. 

Why you ask? ... because it's a little tougher to steal when you have someone throwing cheese at 100 mph . Would you have preferred a possible double play with your two best hitters in the wings?

Solid baseball decision ... not to mention that with Aybar bunting it's not always a automatic out. A rush throw to first will sometimes end up a wild throw.

Check and Mate

;)

I can tell I'm going to get a condesending response, but I need to know why you believe that. Cause Trumbo steals a lot of bags and Howie handles the bat well...especially in clutch situations?

good lead in to rebuttal. I already stated my reasoning on this. I think this was the perfect time and situation to call for a bunt.

Ok.  Those in favor of Trout stealing second.  What happens when he's thrown out.  Now we have 1 out...and NOBODY on base.  Lock the thread.

There are always a lot of "what-if's". I'd still rather not give up an out in that situation, on the road. Play for the win and take your chances. Aybar was already 3-4. Let him hit-and-run at least.

Imo that was the right call there. You have a lefty in Chapman pitching, Trout would not have been able to get a great jump off him,so straight steal is out. Hit and run with Aybar, no. Puttng too much pressure on him to make contact is risky.

This is why your paying Pujols and Hamilton, to get the big hits when you need em.

Imo that was the right call there. You have a lefty in Chapman pitching, Trout would not have been able to get a great jump off him,so straight steal is out. Hit and run with Aybar, no. Puttng too much pressure on him to make contact is risky.

This is why your paying Pujols and Hamilton, to get the big hits when you need em.

AMEN