• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why bunt there?

Aybar hits into a double play and this thread becomes, Why Not Bunt?

THIS ^^^^^^^^

I've been here three days and the amount of bitching is ridiculous. Of course you bunt there and give your #3 and #4 hitters an opportunity to tie / win the game. I have little doubt that Trout could have stolen the base, but Chapman is left handed and it would not have been easy. The topic of this thread is embarassing IMO.

You guys are situational blind sometimes.

Chapman is a left hander that keeps baserunners close and has a 100 mph fastball to get the ball home quickly. Trout's chances of actually stealing on him, having zero previous experience with him on the mound is stretching even Trout's abilities.

Hit and run with Aybar that hits line drives is asking for a double play. Aybar does have exceptional bat control bunting so you go with his best attribute at the plate and eliminate weaknesses.

Now, last night you all clamored about why pitch to Votto and yet none of you started a thread about why pitch to Pujols with one out, first base open and a lefty/lefty matchup following Pujols. Did Baker screw up?

Scott Downs isn't Aroldis Chapman. Sorry. 

You just don't waste an out with your hot hitter at the plate and a slow starting Pujols on deck and a lefty in Hamilton to follow.

It is not a wasted out, it puts Trout on second base with one out. That gives the Angels two chances to score him while there is a lesser percentage of chance to score him from first if Aybar is unsuccessful moving him over with a hit. Zero chance if he is erased in a fielders choice or double play.

You just don't waste an out with your hot hitter at the plate and a slow starting Pujols on deck and a lefty in Hamilton to follow.

Pujols hit a bullet to right field...Again IF it was in the gap this ridiculous thread would not have been started. 

I'm just curious to see if you guys can really keep this "second guessing" thread up for every loss of the season....

Scott Downs isn't Aroldis Chapman. Sorry. 

It is the same exact situation regardless who is on the mound and is determined by what talent level is at the plate. Pujols cannot be ignored as a real threat.

In this case it was left hander vs right hander which favors the walk more. The book play is walk Pujols and set up a double play with Hamilton as a lefty vs lefty matchup.

Last night it was lefty vs lefty and somewhat more excuseable to pitch to Votto.

I would have also gave Trout a chance to steal the bag first too.

You would have seen him thrown out. Then just how happy of a thread would that create as everyone questions why Trout is running on a left hander with the best catcher against baserunners behind the plate.

It is not a wasted out, it puts Trout on second base with one out. That gives the Angels two chances to score him while there is a lesser percentage of chance to score him from first if Aybar is unsuccessful moving him over with a hit. Zero chance if he is erased in a fielders choice or double play.

Against any other lefty, maybe, but not against Chapman.

Was it a terrible call? No, not considering one of Pujols and Hamilton should be able to be counted on to hit a single. Was it the best call? No. Trout is the lead off hitter not only because he is a good hitter, but has tremendous speed, is one of the fastest players in MLB, and a very good base stealer. You send him on a straight steal or hit and run. Considering the afore mentioned MOTO has not been hot to start out the year, I am not in favor of playing just for the tie - not on the road anyway.  That said, the onus is on our MOTO, not on Mike.

Pujols hit a bullet to right field...Again IF it was in the gap this ridiculous thread would not have been started. 

I'm just curious to see if you guys can really keep this "second guessing" thread up for every loss of the season....

Guaranteed 

You would have seen him thrown out. Then just how happy of a thread would that create as everyone questions why Trout is running on a left hander with the best catcher against baserunners behind the plate.

I would have?

Yadier plays for the Reds?

More like a lazy fly to right that almost fell in.

It is the same exact situation regardless who is on the mound and is determined by what talent level is at the plate. Pujols cannot be ignored as a real threat.

In this case it was left hander vs right hander which favors the walk more. The book play is walk Pujols and set up a double play with Hamilton as a lefty vs lefty matchup.

Last night it was lefty vs lefty and somewhat more excuseable to pitch to Votto.

The book play is not to walk Pujols. That is the furthest thing from the truth. That puts the go ahead run on base without us having to do anything. When you are ahead you make them earn everything no matter who is at the plate especially when you have one of the best closers in the game on the mound. Walking Pujols would of been ludicrous.  

Votto's run yesterday was meaningless. The only run that mattered was standing on second base. You walk Votto because you don't let their best hitter have a chance to hit when the only run that matters is the one on second. Let Phillips beat you because even if he hits a gapper, it doesn't matter if Votto scores. If Hamilton hits a gapper, and Pujols scores, the Reds are now losing and you made Pujols do nothing to earn it.

I hate to be blunt, but you are wrong. 

There is a huge difference. The runner at second last night was the winning run, the batter's (Votto) run does not matter. Here, Pujols is the go ahead run and his run is significant.

It wasn't terrible, but it was the wrong call based on the runner at 1st and the batter at the plate.  Yes, with Trumbo at 1st and Howie at the plate....please, BUNT.  Not with Trout and Aybar. 

Was it a terrible call? No, not considering one of Pujols and Hamilton should be able to be counted on to hit a single. Was it the best call? No. Trout is the lead off hitter not only because he is a good hitter, but has tremendous speed, is one of the fastest players in MLB, and a very good base stealer. You send him on a straight steal or hit and run. Considering the afore mentioned MOTO has not been hot to start out the year, I am not in favor of playing just for the tie - not on the road anyway.  That said, the onus is on our MOTO, not on Mike.

The book play is not to walk Pujols. That is the furthest thing from the truth. That puts the go ahead run on base without us having to do anything. When you are ahead you make them earn everything no matter who is at the plate especially when you have one of the best closers in the game on the mound. Walking Pujols would of been ludicrous.  

Votto's run yesterday was meaningless. The only run that mattered was standing on second base. You walk Votto because you don't let their best hitter have a chance to hit when the only run that matters is the one on second. Let Phillips beat you because even if he hits a gapper, it doesn't matter if Votto scores. If Hamilton hits a gapper, and Pujols scores, the Reds are now losing and you made Pujols do nothing to earn it.

I hate to be blunt, but you are wrong. 

I don't really mind the bunt call by Scioscia but Eric's position here is 100% incorrect.

I don't really mind the bunt call by Scioscia but Eric's position here is 100% incorrect.

Yeah, I don't 100% hate the bunt call, but with a guy like Trout, I think you roll the dice and see what happens. Aybar was hitting well today and anything in the gap scores Trout easily.