• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New "Catcher Blocking the Plate" rule this year - scrap it.

disarcina

The new 'catcher's can't block the plate rule' is a disaster IMO.

It is open to various interpretations, can't be enforced/ called uniformly and leads to absurd results.

we already saw one aspect of this in the Dodgers-Angels game where Freese throw as off line and Iannetta felt (rightly or wrongly) that he couldn't cross over (which would have been blocking the plate potentially) to get the ball.........it cost us the game....

Yesterday's call in the ChiSox/ SF game is an example........the guy at the plate is out by a mile and the call gets over-turned because ChiSox catcher (Flowers) may have been blocking the plate.......(when you see this call, one understands better why Iannetta felt paralyzed on the Dodger game play).

ChiSox Manager Robin Venutra rightfully argued the call and got kicked out the game......that run scoring led to a seven run inning that lost the game for the White Sox.

Let's get back to baseball - scrap this new rule.

We'll have  a new commissioner (the vote is today although there might not be a final outcome today) for next year........first thing he should do is scrap this rule.

It's unworkable.

I think the 7 runs not one runner scoring lost the game for the White Sox. Ventura may be right about how the rule is miss handled but he is a dumnbass knowing he would get kicked out of the game and still left the dugout. His argument with the umpires was simply for is own ego and not what was best for his team.

My wife calls the rule the pussification of sports. She sees all of sports going to hell simply because men are not allowed to play the game like men and not  junior high girls powderpuff football. She cracks me up how vocal she is on this.

well, the seven runs is an issue - but I think there were TWO out with NO runs across the plate in the inning when the call was reversed.

I see the same play and I see no violation and a clear out.

Quick, let's get Notti's wife's name in as a nominee for MLB Commissioner!

well, the seven runs is an issue - but I think there were TWO out with NO runs across the plate in the inning when the call was reversed.

I see the same play and I see no violation and a clear out.

Quick, let's get Notti's wife's name in as a nominee for MLB Commissioner!

exactly.

The catcher is allowed to cross any part of the field to receive the throw. He just can't camp in the way waiting. The problem with the rule is it is a No Diving rule where one foot in the water is considered jumping in head first. It is unreasonable to make the catcher play the position differently than the 1st baseman, 2nd, SS or 3rd baseman on a play to a bag.

This is definitely the Buster Pussy rule.

They at least need to simplify the rule, and allow the catcher to accidentally block the plate if he has to move to catch the ball.

The Iannetta play should have never been called interference!    It should be only be called if intentional, which admittedly still creates interpretation.

It's not going to get scrapped. It will get expanded before that happens. There's too much dough on the line to let star players get destroyed over a single run. I don't get all of the posey hate, it's not like he demanded they changed the rules. But when a star like posey gets wrecked by a guy like the almighty Scott cousins, changes are going to be made

It's not going to get scrapped. It will get expanded before that happens. There's too much dough on the line to let star players get destroyed over a single run. I don't get all of the posey hate, it's not like he demanded they changed the rules. But when a star like posey gets wrecked by a guy like the almighty Scott cousins, changes are going to be made

i don't think anyone blames posey, other than eric. everyone i've spoken to at most realizes posey was the catalyst for the rule and not responsible in any way.

The rule should've been if the runner goes out of his way to wreck a catcher then he's automatically out and subject to suspension. If a catcher chooses to block the plate, with or without the ball then he's fair game. Yes this would still be subject to some interpretation, but imo makes more sense and allows the game to played how it's suppose to be.

The current rule requires the catcher to look down in the middle of a play to make sure he's positioned properly which is ridiculous and why I doubt any of them do it which them leads to some of them unknowingly blocking the plate without the ball.

i don't think anyone blames posey, other than eric. everyone i've spoken to at most realizes posey was the catalyst for the rule and not responsible in any way.

I'm  not blaming Posey but using a play on words to describe my wife's interpretation of the rule. However there was no push for this rule when Bobby Wilson got plowed in a play at the plate and went on the DL. I guess second string catchers get second best attention for rule changes.

Cousins spearing Posey should have resulted in a suspension and not creating a poorly thought out rule that creates nothing but confusion on the field when a runner is heading to home plate. It was pandering to owners that want their star players bubble wrapped so they are not paying millions in salary to an empty bench spot. It is like Colby Lewis wanting other teams not to bunt against the infield shift when they are up 2 runs in the 5th. Stupid shit.

Edited by Eric Notti

I'm  not blaming Posey but using a play on words to describe my wife's interpretation of the rule. However there was no push for this rule when Bobby Wilson got plowed in a play at the plate and went on the DL. I guess second string catchers get second best attention for rule changes.

Cousins spearing Posey should have resulted in a suspension and not creating a poorly thought out rule that creates nothing but confusion on the field when a runner is heading to home plate. It was pandering to owners that want their star players bubble wrapped so they are not paying millions in salary to an empty bench spot. It is like Colby Lewis wanting other teams not to bunt against the infield shift when they are up 2 runs in the 5th. Stupid shit.

POTY.

The only people to blame are the owners and commissioner for this rule for sure. In the Cousins/Posey collision Cousins was correctly assuming that Posey was going to catch the ball. Baserunners are never going to assume that a fielder is going to miss a catch. So being that it would have been an extremely close play had Posey caught the ball, Cousins did what any baserunner should do, he played within the rules. He PLAYED BASEBALL. Plowing into Posey is good old fashioned hardball. If you're going to play the game at the highest level you should expect it to be played balls-out, but still fair and within the rules.

Yeah, Posey is good, but guess what? Players get injured, especially catchers. They have all that gear for a reason but injuries are unavoidable. It's not like you have 6 catchers going down every year with a broken leg anyways, that's more like the pitchers these days with TJ surgery...

The only people to blame are the owners and commissioner for this rule for sure. In the Cousins/Posey collision Cousins was correctly assuming that Posey was going to catch the ball. Baserunners are never going to assume that a fielder is going to miss a catch. So being that it would have been an extremely close play had Posey caught the ball, Cousins did what any baserunner should do, he played within the rules. He PLAYED BASEBALL. Plowing into Posey is good old fashioned hardball. If you're going to play the game at the highest level you should expect it to be played balls-out, but still fair and within the rules.

Yeah, Posey is good, but guess what? Players get injured, especially catchers. They have all that gear for a reason but injuries are unavoidable. It's not like you have 6 catchers going down every year with a broken leg anyways, that's more like the pitchers these days with TJ surgery...

Well while Posey broke his leg, I think the concern should be/is more about concussions which occur far more frequently, especially to catchers.

Edited by jshep

agreed.