• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do you wonder...

YESWECAN

If the bullpen (mostly Frieri) didn't blow games early on the Angels would be in 1st place today.

The Angels and the A's have the same amount of blown saves which is 13, the league average is 14. The issue is probably less about blown saves and more about keeping us in games to give the offense a chance to come back, not that during the early part of the season any part of our team was playing well.

And yet Oakland finds ways to win some of those games... with superior SP

Except when they lose to KC 0-1 or 2-4, or 3-7 to the Rays, or 1-6 to Minnesota, or 2-3 and 0-3 to KC again. Then their superior pitching is really covering for their lack of offense in all of three games since August 1st.

Edited by Eric Notti

So are you backing off your rants that he would have a 3.00 era ?

It is a surprise, a pleasant one, that he's thrown 10 scoreless innings with a 0.80 WHIP since coming here.

I know that his 2014 road ERA was ridiculously good before coming here, but still worried about him coming over to a better hitting league.   

At this point, the 3.00 ERA concern is gone (knock on wood).

Except when they lose to KC 0-1 or 2-4, or 3-7 to the Rays, or 1-6 to Minnesota, or 2-3 and 0-3 to KC again. Then their superior pitching is really covering for their lack of offense in all of three games since August 1st.

Exactly. Those were the 3 games I emphasized.

They're rather important in the standings

If the bullpen (mostly Frieri) didn't blow games early on the Angels would be in 1st place today.

How long did it take Scioscia to realize that Friieri as a closer was not a good idea?  That is how many games we have to make up.

How long did it take Scioscia to realize that Friieri as a closer was not a good idea? That is how many games we have to make up.

He blew three games, which is awful, but we also can't expect him to be 100%. So we would likely be tied, but that is ignoring that the A's left Johnson at closer to long.

He blew three games, which is awful, but we also can't expect him to be 100%. So we would likely be tied, but that is ignoring that the A's left Johnson at closer to long.

Wow, seems like the're more than that.

I retrack my ill-informed accusatory remark. Thanks for the information.

Wow, seems like the're more than that.

I retrack my ill-informed accusatory remark. Thanks for the information.

Like I said earlier in this thread I think it's more to the affect that the bullpen as a group didn't keep us in games and allow us to come from behind.

Frieri highlights for us this year:

April 14th vs. Oakland - Had a 2-1 lead in the 9th, he picks up the blown save and loss with a 2 run walkoff homer to Jaso.

April 23rd @ Washington - Had a 4-1 lead in the 9th inning. Comes in, walks one, and gives up three hits including one home run. Blows the save and loses the game allowing four runs while only retiring one batter.

May 6th vs. New York Yankees - Comes in the 9th inning with the game tied 3-3. Gives up a home run to Brian Roberts (5 HRs this year) and the offense fails to score in the bottom half of the inning. Frieri de-proves to 0-3.

May 9th - June 1st - Removed from closer's role during and reinstated at this time. Actually did a good job, giving up only one run in 9 2/3 innings. Lowers ERA to 4.13.

June 14 @ Atlanta - Comes into the 9th with a 5-1 lead. Gives up three straight singles followed by a triple and a ground rule double resulting in four runs allowed and the game tied without recording a single out and a runner on second. Morin saves the inning and the Angels win the game in 13 innings.

June 17th @ Cleveland - After the Angels take a 3-1 lead in the top of the 10th inning, Bedrosian comes in and loads the bases while recording one out. Frieri gets Murphy to fly out before giving up a walk-off grand slam to Swisher.

June 26th vs. Minnesota - Angels are leading 6-1 in the 9th. Frieri loads the bases forcing Scioscia to bring in Smith. Smith allows a bases-clearing double but the Angels win 6-4.

June 27th - The next day Angels fan rejoice as Dipoto is able to trade him for a competent relief pitcher.

So he pretty much was the biggest reason we lost April 14th vs. Oakland, April 23rd @ Washington, May 6th vs. NYY, and June 17th @ Cleveland. The Yankees game was tied so say we lose that game, that's still 3 games he pretty much single-handedly lost for us. I am so glad he is gone and can't believe we actually got a useful player for him.

Frieri highlights for us this year:

April 14th vs. Oakland - Had a 2-1 lead in the 9th, he picks up the blown save and loss with a 2 run walkoff homer to Jaso.

April 23rd @ Washington - Had a 4-1 lead in the 9th inning. Comes in, walks one, and gives up three hits including one home run. Blows the save and loses the game allowing four runs while only retiring one batter.

May 6th vs. New York Yankees - Comes in the 9th inning with the game tied 3-3. Gives up a home run to Brian Roberts (5 HRs this year) and the offense fails to score in the bottom half of the inning. Frieri de-proves to 0-3.

May 9th - June 1st - Removed from closer's role during and reinstated at this time. Actually did a good job, giving up only one run in 9 2/3 innings. Lowers ERA to 4.13.

June 14 @ Atlanta - Comes into the 9th with a 5-1 lead. Gives up three straight singles followed by a triple and a ground rule double resulting in four runs allowed and the game tied without recording a single out and a runner on second. Morin saves the inning and the Angels win the game in 13 innings.

June 17th @ Cleveland - After the Angels take a 3-1 lead in the top of the 10th inning, Bedrosian comes in and loads the bases while recording one out. Frieri gets Murphy to fly out before giving up a walk-off grand slam to Swisher.

June 26th vs. Minnesota - Angels are leading 6-1 in the 9th. Frieri loads the bases forcing Scioscia to bring in Smith. Smith allows a bases-clearing double but the Angels win 6-4.

June 27th - The next day Angels fan rejoice as Dipoto is able to trade him for a competent relief pitcher.

So he pretty much was the biggest reason we lost April 14th vs. Oakland, April 23rd @ Washington, May 6th vs. NYY, and June 17th @ Cleveland. The Yankees game was tied so say we lose that game, that's still 3 games he pretty much single-handedly lost for us. I am so glad he is gone and can't believe we actually got a useful player for him.

I was at the June 26th game. The ballpark sounded just like the forums. People were demanding Mike Scioscia be fired, Butcher be fired, telling Kendrick he needed to pay attention to Don Baylor, booing Albert Pujols for attempting to tag and advance to second on a popup to the second baseman, and most of all, booing Frieri a lot.

Edited by ScottLux

It is pretty crazy given the last 4 years that we're complaining about not having the best record in baseball. I wonder if Bud Selig wasn't around more than anything about the Angels.

thanks to Bud Selig the second best record in basball will be forced to play a one game play-in against a team that could very well be 8 games worse in the win column. Selig II doesn't look like he's going to change that, either.

Edited by ScottLux

thanks to Bud Selig the second best record in basball will be forced to play a one game play-in against a team that could very well be 8 games worse in the win column. Selig II doesn't look like he's going to change that, either.

Yes, because prior to Selig there was no wild card at all and the team with the second best record in MLB would have just been SOL.