• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Center stage: Can Puig be better defensively than Trout?

WAR dislikes Trout's defense. He's one of the worst center fielders in baseball this year, according to Fangraphs.

OK nutswingers, have at it.

the article was saying that because he's had more plays directed at it this has driven down his stats.  It (and Soscia) seems to suggest that the defensive metrics don't really provide an accurate reflection of the quality of play. Do you agree ?

I see a young man that risk his life to come play baseball in America. He comes from a totally different culture and lifestyle that most Americans here. I see a young man trying to fit in ... I also see how much love and appreciation he has for his fellow teammates.

If you're calling him a tool you may want to look at yourself in the mirror.

I see a young man that risk his life to come play baseball in America. He comes from a totally different culture and lifestyle that most Americans here. I see a young man trying to fit in ... I also see how much love and appreciation he has for his fellow teammates.

What does his struggle to get here have to do with how he plays?

WAR dislikes Trout's defense. He's one of the worst center fielders in baseball this year, according to Fangraphs.

My eyes tell me he's a good center fielder, with a slightly below average arm. Of all our quality center fielders we've had since I've been a fan I would put his defense probably last. I would rank them Pettis, Edmonds, Erstad, Devon White and then Trout. I have zero idea what fan graphs has to say about any of those guys. Trout doesn't take the most pure route to the ball like maybe Bourjos does but he gets to a lot of balls and doesn't make errors. How does that translate to being a poor centerfielder? When was the last time you said, "he should have had that" with Trout in CF?

how anyone can even suggest that Trout is 'one of the worst defensive OF'er's in baseball' is beyond me.

with OF'er's it's an old dilemma -- there are guys like Trout who get incredible reads on the ball off the bat AND have tremendous speed -- they get to a lot of balls hit to the OF that others don't. Then there's the mental side of the game -- I don't think you see Trout throwing to the wrong base in a game situation very often, if ever.

then there are OF'er's -- probably like Puig -- who are very quick and can compensate for their inability to get a great read by their sheer speed.........I don't watch the Dogs much (in fact, not many people do this year) but when I have seen them and Puig -- I think Puig has made a mental error in the OF a high percentage of the few games I've seen.

Then there's the OF who have no errors, no mis-plays, don't throw out many guys but the stats are clean -- these are guys that are slow, balls drop in for base hits and doubles and the runner is always able to take the extra base -- the OF'er's fielding percentage is 1,000 (perfect) but the pitcher's/ team's ERA just went up a run or two.......

I I'm pitching and I can pick my outfield -- I want Trout over Puig out there.

This. Jose Abreu has been having the exact same issues

I put zero weight in defensive stats at this point in time. Baseball Reference and Fangraphs often completely disagree with each other. Last year Fangraphs had him as the worst CF in baseball, Baseball Reference had him above average based on the same data. 

Trout is ahead of the next closest player in the leageu (Abreu) by about 45% of offensive WAR, which is a valuable stat.