• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

List of Woes

• 11 months later...

Bump. It worked last year to get on a run and make playoffs. Maybe just maybe.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

New list

Salas is not good for the Pen

Our line up is weak (did not ever think I would be happy to see Freese and Joyce back soon)

Anyone care to add?

I mostly agree with yours...

Calhoun looks more like the player who slumped late last year than the hitter who looked like a borderline star earlier in 2014

Richards hasn't shown his 2014 ace form

Carlos Perez exists

So does Featherston

Morin and Pestano haven't grown into the legitimate setup options I thought they could be

Giavotella is pretty damn bad

Cron is the worst defensive 1B I've seen

Weaver's gradual decline was followed by 'falling off a cliff'

CJ is still CJ

Think I covered it.

Giavotella is poor defensively, but rates out to be an average 2nd baseman according to his WAR. CJ Cron is a DH that is not a good first baseman, but he can hit a little bit, yesterday was a good example of that, him walking twice was an outright miracle yesterday. I posted a stat I saw they showed on the jumbotron yesterday in the gameday thread, Cron has batted .329 (better after yesterday) since he was recalled on June 29th.

Giavotella is poor defensively, but rates out to be an average 2nd baseman according to his WAR.

Well, no. Baseball Reference has him at -1.0 wins above average and Fan Graphs has him at -6 on weighted runs above average, a purely offensive metric. By Fan Graphs WAR, his 0.3 line puts him 21st out of 23 qualified 2B (only the laughably bad Infante and Owings are worse).

All of that is a complicated way of saying he sucks.

Then I guess I'm ignorant as it relates to WAR. I thought a zero WAR was league average at that position. I misunderstood the stat, so can someone explain it to me please.

Nope, that's wins above average which you will occasionally see. WAR (wins above replacement) naturally refers to 'replacement' level players, loosely described as the sort of AAAA scrub you could find anywhere for minimal, if any, cost and the play in question's value over that level of production.

Edited by Oz27

Then I guess I'm ignorant as it relates to WAR. I thought a zero WAR was league average at that position. I misunderstood the stat, so can someone explain it to me please.

WAR is supposed to mean "repacement level", as in someone a team could easily promote from the minors, or in a waiver acquisition, or a trade without giving anything of significance up. 

Strad, I don't get it either. It seems to me that replacement level should be 0.0 WAR. Thus anything above that is "wins *above* replacement."

But I think replacement level is actually closer to 2.0 WAR. That is, to be deemed replacement level, you actually have to put up a 2.0 WAR.

Also, I don't understand how a guy with a below average OPS+ can still have a positive oWAR.

Edited by wopphil