• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

List of Woes

The team still has the 2nd best record in baseball, unfortunately just plays in the same division as the team thats number 1.  Baseball is an extremely long season, why do people have a hard time understanding this?  We started out slow, had a long hot stretch, and have cooled off again.  Its all about adjustments, and right now its time to make some.  Right now there are 28 other teams that are having worse seasons.  We could easily get hot down the stretch, win the wild card and go all the way.  We have the personnel to compete with teams in the postseason.

I completely agree with you. But why is it that some have a hard time understanding that one can agree with this but ALSO complain about slumps?

It isn't either/or, yet many seem to want it to be - sort of like George Bush's ridiculous "You're either with us or the terrorists!"

I completely agree with you. But why is it that some have a hard time understanding that one can agree with this but ALSO complain about slumps?

It isn't either/or, yet many seem to want it to be - sort of like George Bush's ridiculous "You're either with us or the terrorists!"

I'll tell you my issue with it AJ and you're not really guilty of it. It's the way they post about the team. They use absolute terms, like this team ****ing sucks, as opposed to saying, this team is shitty right now. They also assume that since they are playing that way now that is how it will be forever. However when they are playing lights out they don't post like the team will be amazing forever. Not to mention with every slump comes the very original, Scioscia is just cashing checks at this point, or great 3/7 more years of this guy.

Hamilton shows no enthusiasm for the game. I personally think he is done. Just another Vernon Wells. His 30 mil for next season is a huge load to bare for the front office. Even though Albert has dramatically declined he is still way above the average First basemen. The rest of he lineup is questionable but probably locked in for next season.

and then hamilton says 'now watch me hit this drive' and totally whiffs on the driving range

I'll tell you my issue with it AJ and you're not really guilty of it. It's the way they post about the team. They use absolute terms, like this team ****ing sucks, as opposed to saying, this team is shitty right now. They also assume that since they are playing that way now that is how it will be forever. However when they are playing lights out they don't post like the team will be amazing forever. Not to mention with every slump comes the very original, Scioscia is just cashing checks at this point, or great 3/7 more years of this guy.

I hear you, Stradling. I think there are extremes on both ends. On a similar note, I don't get when people say a player isn't trying. Of course they're trying - no one is just out there, cashing a pay-check. I mean if it were that simple then slumps would be easily rectified - just try. But it ain't.

But yeah, this team is shitty right now ;)

Duplicitous. You want your right to complain but complain about those that offer even a shred of an opposing viewpoint. Then cry it must be either/or because someone has a different take and is forcing it upon you. I think it is the other way around. You are enforcing your opinion by refusing others an opposing view without attacking them. Thanks, Bush.

The only thing worse than the Angels crappy play is the "broken record" that keeps playing in the background. 

Let me say the same thing for the 20th time because this time it will sound new.

Edited by True Grich

Hamilton shows no enthusiasm for the game. I personally think he is done. Just another Vernon Wells. His 30 mil for next season is a huge load to bare for the front office. Even though Albert has dramatically declined he is still way above the average First basemen. The rest of he lineup is questionable but probably locked in for next season.

A couple things that separate Hamilton from Wells. First of all, as bad as Hamilton has been as an Angel, his overall numbers are about average for a corner outfielder. Compare Hamilton to the AL averages:

2014:

AL left fielders: .260/.327/.404

Hamilton: .265/.334/.417

2013:

AL right fielders: .263/.323/.418

Hamilton: .250/.307/.432

So Hamilton has been just about average for his position. But the problem there is two-fold:

1) Those AL averages include ALL players playing those positions, including bench players and scrubs. The averages for a starter are a bit higher, making Hamilton pretty much the definition of a "mediocre starting corner outfielder." He's actually been worse than the average AL starting corner outfielder.

2) Hamilton, at $25 million a year, is not being paid to be mediocre. He's not even being paid to be average or above average - he's being paid to be a star.

Anyhow, unless Hamilton completely collapses I don't see him losing his starting job, at least not this or next year. Chances are he'll have some hot spells which will gives the Angels and us hope that he's re-found his swing. But this will only extend the pain. I expect Hamilton to be our starting left fielder at least into 2016, if not 2017. But if he's still mediocre then--and I see no reason to think otherwise, especially as he'll be 35-36--then he'll be riding the bench his last year, year and a half. But don't expect that for another couple years at least.

Hamilton has been horrible, but he's not to blame... the contributions the team was getting from the bottom of the lineup has evaporated lately. The whoel offense is in a collective slump.  It happens.  They'll bounce back.

Remember 2006? The Cards has TWO 8 game losing streaks and a 7 game losing streak... squeaked into the post-season and won it all. 

I'll be more concerned if this team slumps in the post season.

Duplicitous. You want your right to complain but complain about those that offer even a shred of an opposing viewpoint. Then cry it must be either/or because someone has a different take and is forcing it upon you. I think it is the other way around. You are enforcing your opinion by refusing others an opposing view without attacking them. Thanks, Bush.

Huh? Don't be silly. People can have any view they want - and I'm not attack anyone for it. I'm merely pointing out that complaining about the team doesn't inherently equate with not realizing how long the season is or that the Angels are still having an overall good year. QuinlansMinion's post implied otherwise, that people complain because they don't understand how long the season is and that complaining equals not appreciating the overall excellent season.

Also, I said it doesn't have to be either/or, NOT that "it must be either/or." In other words, it doesn't have to be either you complain and think life sucks or you're a homer and everything is peachy. Some nuance is possible.

But that is not how you come off. In fact it was one step away from: if you follow me on Twitter... You are interpreting anyone that isn't complaining with you is against you. That they are all or nothing, rah rah go team! You've set the bar instead of accepting there are no true nutswingers on the board but some pretty stiff lipped members that don't engage in the fire_______ threads because they are accepting of the long seasons slumps.

Meanwhile QuinlansMinion posts completely a reversal of what most of his thread topics are which makes you wonder if he is trolling this thread with positives or he was trolling all of the other threads?

Oh and Scioscia is a complete idiot for batting Aybar 4th yesterday and any game going forward. He finally sat Hamilton and replaced that bat with a player struggling just as badly at the plate. Irritating.

But that is not how you come off. In fact it was one step away from: if you follow me on Twitter... You are interpreting anyone that isn't complaining with you is against you. That they are all or nothing, rah rah go team! You've set the bar instead of accepting there are no true nutswingers on the board but some pretty stiff lipped members that don't engage in the fire_______ threads because they are accepting of the long seasons slumps.

Meanwhile QuinlansMinion posts completely a reversal of what most of his thread topics are which makes you wonder if he is trolling this thread with positives or he was trolling all of the other threads?

Oh and Scioscia is a complete idiot for batting Aybar 4th yesterday and any game going forward. He finally sat Hamilton and replaced that bat with a player struggling just as badly at the plate. Irritating.

I am most definitely NOT interpreting anyone that isn't complaining with me as against me. I don't go after people, trying to recruit them to complain. Who I do go after--and the only time I post about this sort of thing--is when people go after people complaining, with the rather silly (imo) view that complaining = not appreciating or liking the team. I've also been none to disagree with excessive negativity as well.

As for nutswingers and such, I see it as a spectrum from "absolute nutswinger" to "complete failo" or something like that. No one, or very few people, are all the way on one extreme or the other. But everyone is somewhere along the spectrum, and everyone thinks that where they are is the most balanced view. This is where the disagreements ensue.

But I don't agree that what I perceive as excessive nutswinging is simply "stiff upper lipped" folks who have the broad view in mind. I've seen plenty of folks defend everything Dipoto does, as if he's King Midas, and then be proven wrong time and time again.

Again, I'm looking for balance in my perspective, which may be different than what balance is to you. I certainly hope so, because it makes it more interesting!

We are snake bit........that's all there is to it........this Skaggs news hits hard.........we were treading water before that with outside chances of a deep playoff run.......

now it's looking like a one and done deal if we get one of the two Wild Card spots.

sort of good news this week, hopefully we can get well vs. Phillies (two at home) and then Texas (three there) before facing Boston (I don't care what their record is, or what their rotation looks like post-trades, Fenway just beats us all to heck, usually) and then Oakland.

Meanwhile Oakland and KC beat each other up starting today (four game series at KC). 

We need to go 4-1 (at least) over next five games and I think we're rooting for KC to win the series (3 of 4) vs. Oakland.

With the Skaggs news, Halos need to really bust their tails to win the AL West -- a tall order to be sure -- but a one game W/C game (and subsequent series) with our rotation right now spells one and done.

Absolutely no reason to go undefeated this week

A perfect 5-0 to redeem ourselves

Philadelphia and at Texas

What better teams to face right now to try and find our swings.

Undefeated won't happen, but certainly 4-1 is possible and would also be a great step into getting back on track.

disarcina, I think you are making too much of the Skaggs injury. I know it sucks, especially long-term because of possible stalled development, but he wasn't exactly mowing down opponents. Like Shoemaker, Santiago and Weaver, he's been about a league average starter this year.

I think the larger problem for the Angels, this year and next, is that they don't really have a strong second and third starter. Weaver is the closest thing and he is a far-cry form the Weaver of 3-4 years ago, really nothing more than a solid #3 at best. The hope was--and still is--that Skaggs can be that #2 starter, but it was always being to be a couple years before he put everything together. Now that gets pushed back a year or more.

The Angels really need Wilson to figure his shyt out, and/or Dipoto to find some way to bring someone in through waivers. I don't feel too confident about a postseason rotation of Richards, Weaver, a crappy Wilson and Shoemaker/Santiago. It isn't the worst but the possibility of implosion is high. I'd feel a bit better with the "Jekyll" version of Wilson.

Boy is it a good thing that Dipoto re-vamped the bullpen. We'd be in deep shyt if we had the same old crappy bullpen with this wobbly rotation.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Are you looking forward to Pujols for 7 and Hamilton for 3 more years?

I'm not...especially the remainder of Hamilton's contract and most likely the last 5 of Pujols'.