• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Strategy/Baserunning

This is a minor point- why in the hell did Pujols attempt to steal early in yesterdays game? Did the batter miss a sign? Or was this a sick attempt at humor by our coaching staff?

With Pujols known plantar facieitis problem, why would they ever give him the steal sign. That play marks the earliest expended curse words by me in an angel season all time.

lots of questions but you guys have all the answers.

IMO, not a bad move to have him try to steal.  There were 2 strikes on Hamilton, who is a historically better first pitch hitter.  So you have Pujols steal, and not saying you do it all the time, to take a chance that the pitcher throws an offspeed or in the dirt pitch.  And if he gets thrown out, like he did, then you have Hamilton leading off.  And if he makes it, you have a RISP.  

Also, it might be a message to the pitcher that if we get on, we will run.  Just to put something in the back of his mind.  

During game 1 Gubi or Rojas implied that we wouldn't see Pujols stealing anytime soon citing his planter faciitus.  I guess it's tempting when you're not being held on and nobody is paying you any mind.  Still, the ball beat him easily.  Hopefully a moratorium is placed on Pujols stealing.

i aint going for it. watchin Pujols try to run last year made me cringe. he is a station to station baserunner at this stage of his career and  if he is not smart enough to protect his wheels  we will soon be enjoying him in a new position- dl.

his arch problem is a potential career ender.

they said on the broadcast that no one was holding him on or paying attention to him so he took a shot

i dont mind as long as he doesnt do stuff like that all the time

They weren't holding him on because they knew he didn't have a shot at stealing second and proved it.

Time to employ a "ghost-runner" for him?... I didn't see it, but agree that he probly shouldn't be trying to steal bases.  If he's not being held-on, get that huge lead and maybe go first-to-third.  I imagine we won't see him straight-stealing the rest of the season.

IMO, not a bad move to have him try to steal.  There were 2 strikes on Hamilton, who is a historically better first pitch hitter.  So you have Pujols steal, and not saying you do it all the time, to take a chance that the pitcher throws an offspeed or in the dirt pitch.  And if he gets thrown out, like he did, then you have Hamilton leading off.  And if he makes it, you have a RISP.  

Also, it might be a message to the pitcher that if we get on, we will run.  Just to put something in the back of his mind.  

Would you have employed this same straight steal mentality for Benjie Molina because that is about where Pujols is for speed on the basepaths.

Also, since when is giving up on an at bat with your number 4 hitter a brilliant philosophy? Just because Josh had 2 strikes on him doesn't mean he can't recover and either draw a walk or a hit. But sending a guy that isn't a 70% basestealer on a non hit and run play is simply saying we want the inning to end.

I don't want Hamilton leading off innings, I want him at the plate with a runner on base. Pujols negated that by being a dumbass thinking his gimpy feet could steal a base and for what purpose? He is likely not even going to score on a solid base hit and be thrown out at the plate like he was at second.

Leave the baserunning moves to players that can run. Pujols needs to go station to station and pay attention to his base coaches, otherwise he is a liability on the basepaths.

The only message the Reds got was the Angels are just plain stupid on the basepaths.

The old saying goes, run until you're tagged out until also something good happens for you. Words to live by IMO.

I was talking to my girlfriend (more like acting like I was paying attention while she's babbling on) when I read this, and had to make up an excuse as to why I suddenly laughed.  Good times.

Excellent post.

Would you have employed this same straight steal mentality for Benjie Molina because that is about where Pujols is for speed on the basepaths.

Also, since when is giving up on an at bat with your number 4 hitter a brilliant philosophy? Just because Josh had 2 strikes on him doesn't mean he can't recover and either draw a walk or a hit. But sending a guy that isn't a 70% basestealer on a non hit and run play is simply saying we want the inning to end.

I don't want Hamilton leading off innings, I want him at the plate with a runner on base. Pujols negated that by being a dumbass thinking his gimpy feet could steal a base and for what purpose? He is likely not even going to score on a solid base hit and be thrown out at the plate like he was at second.

Leave the baserunning moves to players that can run. Pujols needs to go station to station and pay attention to his base coaches, otherwise he is a liability on the basepaths.

The only message the Reds got was the Angels are just plain stupid on the basepaths.

thanks for amplifying my thoughts. well said.