• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

NCAA Loses O'Bannon Trial

I don't understand people who say that the NCAA makes billions off these kids. If there were billions to be made off these kids why aren't there people starting minor league football and basketball leagues? I just don't see the demand without the built in fanbases that the universities provide.

There is nothing stopping Trump from starting a minor football league and paying players. He tried starting an NFL competitor with the USFL why aren't guys trying that with minor league football competing with the NCAA? You would figure paying anything would out do the NCAA and attract all the talent. The USFL had to compete with the NFL when paying talent.

Edited by eaterfan

don't understanId people who say that the NCAA makes billions off these kids. If there were billions to be made off these kids why aren't there people starting minor league football and basketball leagues? I just don't see the demand without the built in fanbases that the universities provide.

There is nothing stopping Trump from starting a minor football league and paying players. He tried starting an NFL competitor with the USFL why aren't guys trying that with minor league football competing with the NCAA? You would figure paying anything would out do the NCAA and attract all the talent. The USFL had to compete with the NFL when paying talent.

because they do?

My point is that most people are fans of the universities and not the players. It doesn't matter who the players are. I could play QB for Michigan next year and they would make the exact same amount of money as if they had Denard Robinson playing.

The demand to see 95% of these players is based soley on the the university. Nate, how many UCLA games do you watch a year? How many have you attended? How many NBA D league games do you watch? The level of play in the D league is higher. Why do you watch UCLA play and not the D-league? How many women's UCLA women's basketball games do you watch a year? How many WNBA games do you watch?

huh? I didn't say anything about any other leagues

No you never say anything about anything. 

I don't think you understand whatthe lawsuit was over. And I know Michigan wouldn't make as much money on your jersey than they did off of Robinson's

I wasn't just commenting on this lawsuit. I'm just commenting on the revenue generated purely by the players and how it can be separated from the revenue generated by the Universities themselves. I'm just saying if there were an alternative to the NCAA that wasn't based on academic affiliation where players were paid based on what they were worth, they wouldn't generate anything close to what the NCAA makes. 

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/NCAA_FS_2012-13_V1%20DOC1006715.pdf

Absolutely false that the NCAA makes billions off of these kids.  According to the publicly audited financials of the NCAA, they made about $60 million for the year ended 2013.  

While they did make $722 million in revenues from Television and marketing fees, with an additional $108 million in tournament income.  They also distributed $526 million to D1 schools, and surprisingly, the tournaments cost the NCAA $92 million.  

Overall, they have assets of $627 million, but that has built up over years.  

While O'Bannon has won, I would not be surprised if his judgement is similar to the USFL.  

The Pac 11's tv deal is worth $3 billion.

The SEC's id reported to be worth about $5.25 billion

Yes, but that's not the NCAA.  That is two conferences whose members are part of the NCAA.  Just because the Pac 11's TV deal is $3 billion, it doesn't mean the NCAA gets $3 billion.  

It's similar to the Angels TV deal.  They get whatever billions.  The MLB will get 25%, but that's only to distribute to all the other teams.  So the MLB really doesn't make much from the local TV revenues.