• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

North Carolina = Taliban West

People should be free to believe and express whatever they want wherever they want, in government or at school or in right in the face of someone who doesn't care (provided they aren't creating a disturbance that threatens people's safety). And not just religion but all things, from their opinion on cats to shitty racist nonsense. With that said, while I support the private school's right to teach kids that man and dinosaur ate garden salads together in the days after the creation 6000 years ago (as I don't believe the government should have the right to force education on anyone), it's absolutely shitty education. We talk so much about how America is getting stupid and losing pace with the rest of the world in education. I don't think this school teaching lunacy as fact is adding significantly to the problem but it certainly isn't helping. Why teach kids things that are not correct as fact? That's not helping anyone.

Can you show me any studies or statistics that show that kids who get a Christian education have done poorer that public school kids?  If not, then butt out of how we teach our kids.

The fact that Blue Ridge Christian Academy is teaching this BS as science is proof enough that these kids are receiving a poorer education than public school kids.

What scientific evidence is there for any of those answers on that exam?  Have to agree with Nato here... it's borderline child abuse to knowingly teach these kids bullshit like this and call it "science".

On the subject of dinosaurs and earth creation timeline that fourth grader has received a poorer education than his public school peers. I think people should be able to teach their kids whatever they want so I disagree with Nate and dude about the child abuse (probably inspired, oddly enough, by my atheist rejection of the idea that we have a purpose in life because if there's no absolute purpose then claiming it's child abuse to not teach a kid something specific is just a figment of society, not some concrete and universal reality) but it'd be pretty silly to claim that kid knows dinosaurs as well as his public school peers.

Religion should be kept inside the house or church or kept to ones self. It should have absolutely no bearing on anyones elses life who does not want it to. No government support or sponsorship.

What's so infallible about science? In 50 years, so much of what scientists believe today will be debunked and replaced with "better" science.

The notion that nothing is true unless verified by the scientific method is itself a faith statement that cannot be proven. Science is helpful as the study of the physical world around us, but the more it seeks to explain our existence, the more we realize it is inadequate.

What's so infallible about science? In 50 years, so much of what scientists believe today will be debunked and replaced with "better" science.

The notion that nothing is true unless verified by the scientific method is itself a faith statement that cannot be proven. Science is helpful as the study of the physical world around us, but the more it seeks to explain our existence, the more we realize it is inadequate.

Science is always trying to prove itself wrong and accepts it when it happens. Religion is about faith and believing something based on intuition.

and yet for 2000 years Christians have been at the forefront of science.  Seems like their faith didn't hinder them after all.

and you are incorrect with your description of faith and what it is based upon.

Christians being at "the forefront of science" is an odd red-herring of a statement.  What does that prove, or disprove?  

It proves that Christians can be great scientists.  That their faith does not hold them back from gaining knowledge.  

The notion that these kids are somehow being abused is not only laughable, but completely false.  

Nobody here has argued christians can't be great scientists.  Francis Collins is an evangelical christian and one of the top scientists in the country/world.

I'm curious though if there has ever been a reputable scientist who believe(d) man walked with dinosaurs, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Science is always trying to prove itself wrong and accepts it when it happens. Religion is about faith and believing something based on intuition.

Is there really a difference between the two extremes? One puts faith in science for various reasons, the other puts faith in God for various reasons. Even saying that "science is more reliable because it is always trying to prove itself wrong" is a faith statement based on one's subjective logic.

Everyone puts their faith into something, even if they don't realize it. Here is how I view science. Science offers HOW things came to be, but it cannot answer WHY things came to be. Religion can offer WHY things came to be. Whether or not you believe in a God, you have to recognize that all people have a restlessness for significance and meaning.

Is there really a difference between the two extremes? One puts faith in science for various reasons, the other puts faith in God for various reasons. Even saying that "science is more reliable because it is always trying to prove itself wrong" is a faith statement based on one's subjective logic.

Everyone puts their faith into something, even if they don't realize it. Here is how I view science. Science offers HOW things came to be, but it cannot answer WHY things came to be. Religion can offer WHY things came to be. Whether or not you believe in a God, you have to recognize that all people have a restlessness for significance and meaning.

I'll definitely agree with the second paragraph, and that's a good way to put it. 

and yet for 2000 years Christians have been at the forefront of science.  Seems like their faith didn't hinder them after all.

and you are incorrect with your description of faith and what it is based upon.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that for 2000 years they have been at the forefront of science despite the hindrance of the church. In the long run it seems they balance each other out.