• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What can the Angels do this offseason?

A bit off topic but what would our rotation look like had we not traded Trumbo?  Scary thought...

Certainly Dipoto would have gotten someone else. That trade was on December 10th with a lot of offseason left.

But the trade was, and continues to be, Dipoto's crowning moment as Angels GM. All he had to do was trade away a player (Trumbo) whom the Angels have an identical copy of in Cron, and a decent prospect to get two above average, young and cost-controlled starters.

That said, Schugel is doing fairly well in the minors this year and would have been nice depth to have, but he's already 25 in AA and has very limited upside.

its interesting how everyone is able to discuss baseball in these types of threads, except you.

shouldn't you be looking for some pictures right now?

In his defense, he does talk baseball here often. He's a condescending dick but so am I. And so is Lou. And so is 90% of the forum.

Lets all just calm down and have sex I mean

There's a couple areas I'd look at. A starter, a lefty reliever, a third baseman, and a bench player. Lester would be my number choice, depending on Shields' contract demands he'd be another guy I'd love to have, Masterson is a wildcard option. Sign Lester to a 5-year $100 million dollar contract, Andrew Miller to a 3-year deal similar to Smith's, Bonifacio could be a nice pickup too. CJ's no-trade clause shrinks to 8 teams next year, I'd look into dealing him. There's the Korean 3rd baseman I posted about a while back, could be worth a shot. Think about the pitching staff with Lester and Miller though. I guess my shopping cart would be Lester, Miller, Bonifacio, and maybe Choi (Korean third baseman.)

Rotation: Richards, Lester, Weaver, Wilson (maybe), Skaggs, and Shoemaker

Bullpen: Street, Smith, Miller, Morin, Jepsen, Bedrosian, and Santiago (Rasmus, Kohn, Diaz, Reynolds, Pestano all act as depth)

I would sign one of the two big free agent pitchers with that money that Wells isn't making next year, and if you have to go over the Luxury Tax then so be it. I would also give someone like Headley, and hope he can figure it out again. There aren't a ton of third base options available out there this off season.

Especially given Pujols' and Hamilton's wonderful sub .800 OPS since April 2013

Give me a 2002 type team with balanced salaries, decent to solid starters, great bullpen, frenetic hitting, and great chemistry.

Stop it or we're all gonna cry.

Imagine if we had Weaver and Richards that year. Good thing Aaron Sele went down that year.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while we lose the contracts of Wells, Blanton, Burnett, and possibly Salas/Freese, Trout's extension starts and counts toward the luxury tax after this year. The Angels are basically replacing a majority of the money they shed with Trout's fresh extension, don't get me wrong, I'm more than okay with but they're not going to have a whole lot of cash to use. Especially with how crazy expensive pitchers contracts are getting. 

Id love to target shields, but not sure how expensive hes gonna be. But I think lester goes back to boston, sherz stays in detroit (or maybe the dogs target him). Shields just seems like the most realistic

And almost necessary. Cj is a ? At best, weaver will continue to age, skaggs is already showing how fragile our staff is etc. So hopefully shields (or someone similar), an rp who can get outs, a bench MIF (not milf) and cross fingers cron can improve and green can work on 3B. Hoping he can at least start sharing time w freese there, maybe spell someone like howie here and there etc until he maybe takes over at 3B in 2 years.

Give me a 2002 type team with balanced salaries, decent to solid starters, great bullpen, frenetic hitting, and great chemistry.

There is a lot to be said for this. The Yankees had their best teams when they had a lot of home grown talent and brought in complimentary pieces in free agency. They lost the plot when they started trying to compile an all star team without any regard for how the pieces fit together or how the players got along.

IMO the Hamilton and Pujols contracts (particularly the latter) will hamstring the club for years to come when it comes to compiling a roster. Not to day that we won't bring anybody in through free agency, but our sights will be set much lower than would otherwise have been the case. We can forget front line starting pitching, IMO. Max Scherzer is off the table, for example.

The A's will still be the favorite next season. I'm not sure why fans think they went all in this season.

Their SP will get healthy and they'll have some money to spend.

Angels offense will relatively be the same except maybe for third base. Dipoto will sign a big name free agent pitcher.

I like what's going on in Seattle lately. They have a real good chance of making the playoffs this season.

Edited by Troll Daddy