• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What can the Angels do this offseason?

The only pitchers worth thinking about are Scherzer, Iwakuma, Lester, Shields, and maybe Masterson based on pre-2014.

Lester is likely headed back to Red Sox land.

Scherzer, Lester, Iwakuma, and Shields are going to be very rich this off-season.

Because of his success within the division, and probably being cheaper than Scherzer, I'd focus on Iwakuma.

One significant down side though to Iwakuma is his turning 34 in 2015.   It would have to be no more than a 4 year deal, assuming he can pitch solidly into his late 30s like Kuroda did.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Sandoval would be a huge improvement at 3B. McGehee would also be an improvement, but a moderate one. I'm guessing that Headley can bounce back to at least a .750 hitter. With his strong defense, he'd be a bit improvement.

gotbeer, good point about total innings pitched for the younger guys. I really hope they don't implode. Scioscia would be wise to limit Richards' pitch counts, especially with the stronger bullpen.

The problem is that to really improve the rotation, the Angels would need to sign one of the more expensive options - if not Scherzer or Lester, than Shields or Iwakuma. Hammel or Masterson could be lower price options, but I'm not sure how much better either of them would be than existing starters.

From baseball prospectus:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/league-info/potential-free-agents-for-2015/

The following players have contracts expiring or should have the six years of service necessary to become free agents after the 2014 season.

Third Basemen

Wilson Betemit 

Alberto Callaspo 

Eric Chavez 

Jack Hannahan *  ;) 

Chase Headley 

Casey McGehee

Donnie Murphy

Nick Punto * 

Aramis Ramirez *

Pablo Sandoval

Ty Wigginton

The missing piece.

Make it happen Jerry.

IMO, the Red Sox and Cubs will each try to obtain one established front line-ish starter to team with their youth movements.  I imagine the Dodgers will try to add one more big arm.   Red Sox have soooo much payroll flexibility.

Also the Rangers need pitching, lots of it.  No sure if they will spend for it but they need arms.   Harrison is likely done.  Perez is out for most of the year.   Holland just got lit up hard in his last rehab start so, they are still waiting to see what to expect from him.   That team is basically Darvish, Beltre, a fading Choo and a bunch of guys in A and AA striking out 25-30% of the time.

Edited by Inside Pitch

This is indeed rather ridiculous.

I'm guessing that seeing when it was posted that alcohol was involved.

Reminds me of one of Hollywood's bitch threads, like pure boredom sunk in and just decided to create a post without thinking it through.

its interesting how everyone is able to discuss baseball in these types of threads, except you.

shouldn't you be looking for some pictures right now?

Sandoval would be a huge improvement at 3B. McGehee would also be an improvement, but a moderate one. I'm guessing that Headley can bounce back to at least a .750 hitter. With his strong defense, he'd be a bit improvement.

gotbeer, good point about total innings pitched for the younger guys. I really hope they don't implode. Scioscia would be wise to limit Richards' pitch counts, especially with the stronger bullpen.

The problem is that to really improve the rotation, the Angels would need to sign one of the more expensive options - if not Scherzer or Lester, than Shields or Iwakuma. Hammel or Masterson could be lower price options, but I'm not sure how much better either of them would be than existing starters.

Kuma isn't a FA.  But Maeda in Japan might be posted next.   Of the names you listed, Lester would be my first choice. 

Third base free agent pool looks very weak. The Yankees will likely retain Headley, unless he gets a multi-year (more than two) offer. Which I don't see happening. Sandoval is obviously talented, but he is probably going to price himself out of a lot of offers, and there's some definite risk there.

everyone else is journeyman on declining/declined. I'm pretty sure a-ram is retiring as well

I wonder if Texas is entering a minor rebuilding/retooling phase like the Angels in 2010-13. They seem to have some serious problems and probably won't back so easily, especially with an aging team. Choo looks old, who knows what to expect from Fielder, Beltre is still great and has turned into a legit Hall of Fame candidate by having a great second half of his career but not getting any younger. And of course the pitching...

No fat kids, scratch the bloated Panda off of the Christmas list.

Trout needs company.

There is obviously still hope this year, but one thing to consider is that the Angels will likely be the team to beat in the AL West next year. Beane is going all in on this year and may not be able to repeat the same success next year. The Mariners are on the up-swing but still not quite there. The Astros are still a long way off and the Rangers are a mess.

You guys are d$%&s. Who cares if he/she wants to talk about the offseason? Is it not possible to both enjoy this season and also think about the future? Should the OP spend his/her entire day jerking off to the standings?

Well that was disturbing.

But ya, I'd like to see some SP.

Anyone else agree? 

Since Iwakuma is likely staying due to the option, and Lester is likely re-signing with the Red Sox, that really just leaves Scherzer, Shields, and maybe Masterson if he can rediscover 2013.  

Masterson is essentially Richards lite, same great sinkers but not with quite the heat that Richards can bring.   Both can sometimes go through bad control spells.

There is obviously still hope this year, but one thing to consider is that the Angels will likely be the team to beat in the AL West next year. Beane is going all in on this year and may not be able to repeat the same success next year. The Mariners are on the up-swing but still not quite there. The Astros are still a long way off and the Rangers are a mess.

Good point from an offense standpoint, since Cespedes is no longer there.

How much longer can those other hitters maximize their abilities?

But even likely without Lester, they do get Griffin and Parker back in the rotation to go with Gray, Kazmir, and Samarzdjia.

Good point from an offense standpoint, since Cespedes is no longer there.

How much longer can those other hitters maximize their abilities?

But even likely without Lester, they do get Griffin and Parker back in the rotation to go with Gray, Kazmir, and Samarzdjia.

That's a top notch rotation.