• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Judgement Day for Wilson

Serious question, whats everyones take on CJ? Is he hurt? Is it mental? Is his stuff falling apart?

I think he is slow to understand his pitching problems, and doesn't know what or how to correct himself.  He might be overthinking his problems trying to figure out why?

That would be a trap I would fall into, so I can't fault him for that.   I think it's a natural human process. 

I don't think it's a lack of confidence. It's just that he's thinking a mile a minute and analyzing everything to the nth degree. He really sounded manic in the postgame interview, taking about three minutes to answer a simple question about pitch location. I understood hardly any of it, he kept darting from subject to subject.

I was thinking to myself, this is the way he talks, and this is the way he pitches. Complicated and incoherent.

Throw strikes, keep the ball down, and work fast. That's the recipe for pitching success in the majors.

CJ needs to calm down, go out there, and pound the strike zone. Whatever happens, happens. Just let go for a change.

now you've hit it on the head. that's legitimate criticism and a solution. that's exactly what he needs to do.

Why is it so hilarious?

1. When somebody like CJ pitches lights out for months, he can still suck for months and have respectable ERA and win/loss numbers.

2. CJ still strikes out lots of batters when he sucks.

3. CJ doesn't snap out of funks very fast; it takes a long time to regain his form.

4. CJ doesn't pitch efficiently when he sucks, but last night was an improvement in the right direction.  The start before that was an embarrassment though...he lasted 1.1+ innings and needed 50 pitches.

That's why he isn't an ace.  Besides not being dependable, he drags the team down with him whenever he sucks. 

what's hilarious was that you said, "don't be fooled by his numbers in years past.", which is a joke. he has a long history of success, but he can't be credited with those seasons only his failures? as i said before and it's still true, during his tenure with us wilson has been the angels most reliable starter. he's having a pretty bad stretch, no one denies that, it's happened before and it'll happen again, just as his great and good seasons will also.

what's hilarious was that you said, "don't be fooled by his numbers in years past.", which is a joke. he has a long history of success, but he can't be credited with those seasons only his failures? as i said before and it's still true, during his tenure with us wilson has been the angels most reliable starter. he's having a pretty bad stretch, no one denies that, it's happened before and it'll happen again, just as his great and good seasons will also.

Go back and read my follow up post.  I was trying to point out that his problems are hidden in what otherwise seem like good numbers. To be fair, he pitched really well (and consistently) in 2013.  Go back further and you'll see the inconsistency. 

2012 season, he finished 13-10 with a 3.83 ERA.  173 strikeouts in 202.1 innings.   Not the greatest ERA, but certainly not bad.  If I didn't know any differently, I'd think CJ might be an ace with an off year, or a solid No. 2 starter.  His 2012 splits (below) explain why he is neither IMHO.  Go back further and there are more examples of this. 

I'm not saying he's a bad pitcher, I'm saying he's overrated and not always dependable enough to be considered a top of the rotation starter. 

CJ_2012.gif

Throw strikes, keep the ball down, and work fast. That's the recipe for pitching success in the majors.

CJ needs to calm down, go out there, and pound the strike zone. Whatever happens, happens. Just let go for a change.

now you've hit it on the head. that's legitimate criticism and a solution. that's exactly what he needs to do.

I think he would do better not being so dependent on himself to get outs.  In other words, stop trying so hard for strikeouts.  Embrace the ground ball out some more. 

Serious question, whats everyones take on CJ? Is he hurt? Is it mental? Is his stuff falling apart?

His stuff has definitely fallen off, so I think there's at least a physical part of it.

At this point I think the big questions are:

1) Is whatever's led to that something he can rebound from or is his arm wearing down and this just what it's going to be from now on?

and 2) Can he still be successful if the latter is the case?

No idea what the answer to 1 is, but I'm not overly optimistic about #2. Weaver has managed it, although he's clearly not the same guy he used to be, but he also has the command to get away with it. Not so sure about CJ.

Fwiw, on the pregame show langston was saying its mechanical with his lower half. Said his velocity was there the other night and his slider was on. But because of his lower half hes not able to repeat his delivery right now. Said he thinks its totally fixable and should be close to fixing it

Maybe too optimistic, but Ill take it. We need this guy to at least be a solid mod roatstuon guy if not a front end one