• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Redskins owner

Tank

Has an upcoming interview with espn. One of the things they focus on is the name of the team. They played a clip of it on sportscenter tonight, and great googly moogly, Snyder comes off looking like he hasn't got the first clue about how others see the teams name.

Can't post a link from my iPad. Maybe someone can help me out?

Not TMZ-PN.

They are pushing the agenda more than anyone.

ESPN is seriously doing the thing MTV did when they started phasing out music videos for bullshit. Sports is on the backburner for gossip type shit like Lebrons feelings, Dustin Johnson doing coke, and one of their top headlines this past week was the suspension of one of their employees......they actually made a gossip news story out of someone talking about a gossip news story.

Can't wait for the day guys over 7'7 band together, get a union, and march on Washington to ban the name Giants from all sports teams because it's offensive.

I'm Irish, and I'm offended by the Notre Dame nickname portraying all people from the home country as drunken brawlers. We're good at it, but that's beside the point.

Let's just carry this to every possible extreme. It's fair to say that if the Washington Redskins were a new expansion team, that name wouldn't have been chosen. However, the team was named years ago and it is part of their corporate brand and public identity. You don't name a team after something you want to mock and ridicule.

Snyder just seems like an arrogant douche that thinks only his opinion matters and everyone else can go F off. He being a stubborn idiot just because he can, and there's really no good reason to not change the name and/or logo.

it would be like, today, someone starting a new expansion team and calling it the Sambos. I wonder how well that would go over. Especially if the new owner went on tv and basically gave the middle finger to the people who didn't like it.

would you guys feel the same way if there was a team called the new york wops or the chicago spics?

This is exactly where I see an issue. The Cleveland Indians name doesn't bother me, nor does the FSU Seminoles name. But Redskins? That's the literal equivalent of the US or Europe going into Somalia and starting a soccer team named the Mogadishu Darkies. I understand my post may get deleted because of that term, but it is the real equivalent.

• 3 weeks later...

No, it's nothing like starting a team today nor does it include wops, spics, or kikes.

i really don't see how it's not exactly those things. i can't get over when snyder calls redskins a term of respect. that's some magical double talk. i'm with don:seminoles, aztecs, indians, etc. is ok with me. there isn't anything inherently racist involved there, but redskins is pretty goddamm bad. i personally think they should rebrand to the washington warriors. in my mind they could still use an indian logo.

I'm at the point now I'd rather them change the name just so everyone shuts the **** up about it and ESPN can stop their crusade.

I don't care that after 82 years some PC people suddenly find it offensive even though people from tribes to the players to the fans don't think they should change the name.

If the name became racist 82 years later, maybe closer to 72 because I think 2004 was when the name suddenly became the next non-sports related thing in sports ESPN could make a reality show about.

If the name was racist during it's inception than everyone that approved it and didn't say, "This isn't right" back then are morons.

would you guys feel the same way if there was a team called the new york wops or the chicago spics?

Is the term "Redskin" as offensive as the term "wop?" I am guessing not, just as the term cracker isn't as offensive as the n-word.

That being said, if the "Wopping Degos" of Bensonhurst had been in existence for 80+ years, I wouldn't be offended and wouldn't be demanding a name change.

Edited by wopphil

I don't feel as strongly about it as some might but I think it's important to note that words can evolve. Wetback and fag were once perfectly acceptable terms but now seeing those words without quotes around them looks a bit off.

It's just a name. Not that big of a deal but just change it so we can all turn the page and go back to talking about how abysmal their offense always seems to be.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't quite understand the fervor of all of this.  Will the Blackhawks, Indians and Chiefs be next?

Do you really not see the difference? The Blackhawks are named after a person, the Indians after several groups of people, and the Chiefs after a title for leaders in some of those groups. Redskins is just a racial slur. The fact that we've chose to deem it acceptable for so long doesn't mean that it is. It just means we've collectively been insensitive pricks for a while.

Because the public deemed it to be acceptable for over eighty years it would appear any racial slur has lost its meaning. Language always evolves.

We accepted a lot of words for a long time that people would be reprimanded or fired for saying at work now. Language does evolve, and getting rid of this team's name would be a good example of it.

I say we go to an Indian reservation and just ask, "How you Redskins doing?"