• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols is...

I think Pujols is acting a little punkish lately with the whole bow and arrow thing and now mocking Puig's catch in center field.

I love it!

I think you got it all wrong. He's mocking punks. 

Puig = Manny, or even Babe Herman?

For the younger whippersnappers, Herman was a legendary hitter for Brooklyn in the mid 1920s - early 1930s and also know for malaprops on the field like sometimes passing a runner on the bases while admiring a drive and even once was one of THREE runners standing on 3rd base. 

Pujols has been the most consistent hitter since the ASB. Hopefully he can keep up the key hits down the stretch and not go back to his norm.

He's hitting .254/.321/.352 with zero HR and 4 RBI since the break.  

I laughed more than I should have at this

I don't see how he's much better, if at all. Puig may be batting 40 points higher, but Pujols has 7 more homers, 13 more RBI's, and considerably fewer mental lapses. 

Please don't stick with triple crown stats, which only tell a fraction of the picture. How about this:

Puig: .319/.404/.545, 170 wRC+, 4.7 fWAR

Pujols: .275/.324/.468, 121 wRC+, 2.0 fWAR

The difference is huge. wRC+ is probably the best single stat for offensive value and is similar to OPS+ but a bit more sophisticated. Basically 100 is average, so Puig is 70% better than the average hitter while Pujols is 21% better. fWAR is a great way to look at overall contribution and, as you can see, they are light years apart. Puig is on pace for a 6+ fWAR, which is a superstar and MVP candidate. Pujols is on pace for around 3 fWAR, which is an above average player but not a star.

Please don't stick with triple crown stats, which only tell a fraction of the picture. How about this:

Puig: .319/.404/.545, 170 wRC+, 4.7 fWAR

Pujols: .275/.324/.468, 121 wRC+, 2.0 fWAR

The difference is huge. wRC+ is probably the best single stat for offensive value and is similar to OPS+ but a bit more sophisticated. Basically 100 is average, so Puig is 70% better than the average hitter while Pujols is 21% better. fWAR is a great way to look at overall contribution and, as you can see, they are light years apart. Puig is on pace for a 6+ fWAR, which is a superstar and MVP candidate. Pujols is on pace for around 3 fWAR, which is an above average player but not a star.

You think you know what you are talking about, but you clearly don't.

AJ, i think puig is very talented, but I also think hes overrated. Hes so damn streaky thst his numbers make jeckyl and hyde look like a healthy person.

I agree not to use counting stats, but if you look at him last year, he hit like 7 home runs his first month, then like 9 or something the rest of the year. This year he was at something like .345 11 home runs around may 20, and by mid july he was close to .300 with 12 home runs....after a really poor streak

Ive heard people compare him to bo jackson, and I think its a good comp. But looking back I think bo was a little overrated too. All the tools in the world that people were waiting for to all come together, but it never really got a chance to. I think people are assuming puig will get better (which he very well could), but for right now hes being overrated, because of a combination of his natural tools and the way the dodgers have marketed him

ocho, the numbers don't lie. Puig is a very good player. Over the last two years he's 13th in the majors in fWAR and 4th in wRC+. I have no idea whether he'll get better, stay the same or decline, but right now he's one of the best players in the game - at least according to the most advanced statistical measurements available to us lay folk.

Bo Jackson was a player who was overrated because his amazing natural talents blinded people to his actual performance, which was good but not great. But Puig is doing things that Jackson has never done. Actually, in Puig's less than two years he's accrued more fWAR (8.7) than Bo Jackson's entire (short) career of 694 games (7.7). So I don't think it is a close comp.