• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Could CJ be working his way o/o rotation

ghoetke

that wasn't the CJ that has been very solid for the better part of his contract so far. 

that was some dude barely hitting 90 on the gun throwing a pretty weak breaking ball and locating everything down the middle.  If Tampa didn't bunt for a couple of hits, they could have gone for 9 runs instead of 6. 

Hopefully, this is a mechanical issue that he developed when his ankle was injured.  My concern is that his arm isn't right.  He's not going to drop off that quickly unless it's one of the previous.  With his history of injury, I am fairly worried.  Right now he looks like the guy we saw in the second half of 2012 right before he needs to clean the elbow out. 

We're gonna need another starter. 

The problem with CJ is he doesn't have bad starts.  He has bad months.

And he makes his struggles exponentially worse with 25 pitch innings that tax an already overworked bullpen.  Should the Angels go deep into extra innings Sunday or Monday, there's no way Roth will be available, and Rasmus might not be either.  The burden of this may trickle down for the rest of the week costing us games that CJ doesn't even pitch in.

When will he ever learn to shake off a bad inning, swallow his pride, and go back to work?  As today proved, 50 pitches in 1.1 innings of work is ridiculously bad. 

It looks like we are pretty much stuck with CJ for his next start on Thurs at home against the Dodgers.  With Monday the 11th off, Weaver could take CJ's slot on Wednesday against PHI rather than CJ if he stinks the place up again.  With Thursday,  August 14 off also, we could get by with a four man rotation until the critical first game against Oak on Friday, August 22.  Will Skaggs be back by then?  Or at all this season?  We need to pray that a different CJ shows up next Thursday.

Edited by LAAMike

that wasn't the CJ that has been very solid for the better part of his contract so far. 

that was some dude barely hitting 90 on the gun throwing a pretty weak breaking ball and locating everything down the middle.  If Tampa didn't bunt for a couple of hits, they could have gone for 9 runs instead of 6. 

Hopefully, this is a mechanical issue that he developed when his ankle was injured.  My concern is that his arm isn't right.  He's not going to drop off that quickly unless it's one of the previous.  With his history of injury, I am fairly worried.  Right now he looks like the guy we saw in the second half of 2012 right before he needs to clean the elbow out. 

We're gonna need another starter. 

Nailed it

his stuff just doesn't look right. Fastball is down, his breaking balls have no bite to it. Definitely concerned that his arm isn't right.He's a guy who always has struggled with his command and always will, so any loss in effectiveness/velocity on his pitches will result in disaster. We're seeing it happen right now

Edit: His pitch usage has drastically changed this season as well. The slider used to be go-to breaking ball, but he's only throwing it 10.3 %, 2nd lowest of his career. His lowest percentage was back in 2012...when he dealt with the bone spurs.

He's been going with the curveball more this season, while throwing his changeup 12.5% of the time (way up from the 5.9% last season)

His game log on BrooksBaseball shows him throwing NO sliders in yesterday's outing. No clue if he's trying to compensate for a barking elbow or not, but the slider is a pitch that causes stress on the elbow. Just interesting that he's throwing it a good 8% less than he did last year.

Edited by bloodbrother

It's not even the lack of strikes I'm worried about, his velocity was way down yesterday. Could be hiding an arm injury of sorts. Similar to 2012 when he had the bone spurs in his elbow for the second half. Would not be surprised to hear he has an injury. Either way, this team needs another starter and soon. 

CJ had a very productive stretch. Bad mouth him now if you will, but dude was was a decent signing until about 5 weeks ago.

This is where im at. Im not s fsn of his, but he was pretty good for us in 12, our best pitcher last year, and was pretty rock solid up until last month.

I get that he sucks right now, and who knows, may have something serioudly wrong in that he sucks all year. I dont know. But you csnt write him off yet. Seriously.

Especially with no real alternative available...

whew...I was worried there wouldn't be anyone to bitch about with the bullpen issues mostly resolved, Ibanez released and the lineup pretty set...glad CJ stepped up to the plate.

Or, maybe it's just a little rough patch and the most consistent starter the Angels have had the last two years will work through this bump...much like he has done in the past

whew...I was worried there wouldn't be anyone to bitch about with the bullpen issues mostly resolved, Ibanez released and the lineup pretty set...glad CJ stepped up to the plate.

Or, maybe it's just a little rough patch and the most consistent starter the Angels have had the last two years will work through this bump...much like he has done in the past

Well except it's basically been going since the beginning of June, so it's not quite "a little rough patch",  and there are legit red flags like his velocity. And bloodbrother also brought up his pitch usage being pretty different, which might be something.

But don't let that ruin your bitching over other people "bitching"

Edited by jshep

lol

A "little rough patch" is 3, maybe 4 starts where you put up a 5.00 ERA and then figure out what was going on and go back to pitching well. CJ has a 7.90 ERA since June. That's 9 starts, with only 2 quality starts mixed in. In other words, basically a third of his entire season.

Yeah, that's a little rough patch.

Would Colon really pass through waivers? I know that contract doesn't look great but I think someone would claim him (and the Mets may even consider not pulling him back). If he didn't, he'd be a pretty good option if the Mets ate a few million off what he's owed next year.

Would Colon really pass through waivers? I know that contract doesn't look great but I think someone would claim him (and the Mets may even consider not pulling him back). If he didn't, he'd be a pretty good option if the Mets ate a few million off what he's owed next year.

Probably wouldn't get to us....the AL wild card contenders would block him for sure and he'd have lots of teams willing to claim him, unless the Mets put him on Irrevocable waivers...

Mets are absolutely loaded with SP talent. Remarkable how many options they have for 2015:

Matt Harvey, Niese, Wheeler, Gee, Montero, deGrom, Syndergaard, Colon. Even Mejia could be converted back.

Colin's last outing was wretched. Mets would be wise to trade him for some marginal prospect. 1 week ago they were willing to eat $2 million for a better prospect hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/25/mets-willing-to-cover-2-million-of-bartolo-colons-contract-in-trade/