• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Paul George snaps lower leg in half during Team USA scrimmage

xboom28x

It was bad. I got sick to my stomach. I don't have a link. Don't really care to post it. I'm sure it's on YouTube already.

They cancelled the scrimmage after that play. We talk on here about a guy getting injured playing in a HR derby, when basketball players are at extreme risks of serious injuries like this playing in meaningless FIBA tournaments.

Terrible injury. Hope he can come back strong from it and there goes the Pacers 14/15 season. Reports say the stanchion he landed on is closer than they are for NBA games and some pictures posted seem to agree.

Seems that the floor footprint for this arena is small and won't allow for an NBA-style stanchion.  The one they used here was nearly sitting in the adjacent tunnel and still puts the stanchion over two feet closer to the baseline.  Really unfortunate accident.  Reminded me of Theismann.

george's father saying his son will miss the entire season, which i don't think surprises anyone.

if you're an NBA gm, do you allow your players to participate in tournaments like this and the olympics? it's a tough call. 

To me Shaun Livingston's looked way worse. His leg bent the wrong way at the knee when he landed after a breakaway and the camera shot on it was clearer. George's looked bad but it was a lower leg break where his leg bent at the ankle. Don't get me wrong it was bad but Livingston's looked like a career ender.

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

Reports are out that GMs are unanimous in no longer wanting their players to play internationally. If it can't be agreed upon in the next CBA, expect future contract language to state such for individual superstars.

Pardon my ignorance but how is this different than World Cup soccer? Why do clubs let their players play that?

Pardon my ignorance but how is this different than World Cup soccer? Why do clubs let their players play that?

No ignorance at all and a good question. I have never checked the FIFA bylaws, etc. so can give you just a fan perspective that may be partially correct, or maybe even wrong.

To my knowledge, under FIFA country takes precedence over club except for friendlies and exhibitions during the season where clubs have had a say whether a player can play or not. For the most part, country managers work with clubs to ensure health and fitness of players.....if a club says a player isn't fit he likely misses whatever match is going to be played. At the same time, and just personally speaking, there is much more importance and nationalism for players playing for their country and it's even kind of self policed where players that are older will retire from country level playing, but continue to play club level or simply say they want to only play club level.

It's kind of a different mentality, country prestige is huge in soccer (especially with tourneys only happening every four years) and you get players that want nothing more than to play in a WC or big event for their country. We have patriotism here, but guys in the NBA look out for their wallets and rightfully so. There were a few key and serious injuries in qualifying and even during the WC.....the same or worse than George, but it's just accepted as sport. Where here the first thing that happened after the injury was a knee jerk to ban or change international games and even Ramona Shelbourne and Brian Windhorst had some "news report" about how far back the goal post was that George hit and the touchline. It's sensationalism at its finest. But I also understand owners that are business men and trying to protect their investments.