• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

slumping or schedule?

floplag

im seeing a lot of people talking about some of the bigger names slumping etc... which is of course true, but lets not forget we had a gauntlet coming out of the break that would eat many teams alive.

since the break we have played 13 games all against potentail playoff teams, in that stretch we are 7-6.  not awesome, but not bad considering the teams and pitchers we have faced either.

in addition to that we have not lost ground in the division in a time when the As have been playing cupcakes and going 7-5

so guys are not lighting up the scoreboards,, could be clumps, could be level of competition, either way im looking at the big picture.   this next week is huge for us. 

i think 2 of 3 in TB is expected especially since they are going to be a little down about recent events.. , and i think id like a split with the 4 game set with the dogs or going 4-3 these next 7 to put us at 11-10 for that 21 game stretch.

The As have a couple tricky matchups over the next week as well but even assuming they win 5 of 7 that still eaves is no more than 3 out at the end of the gauntlet.   if we can hold our ground over these next 7 against TB and the Dogs, the pendulum swing to us a little i think

i for one am going to be very interested in how Oaks offensive numbers trend following the recent deals as i suspect they drop off a little, will the added pitching make up for it will be the biggest factor there.

Flop, I would say they are slumping. Hitters like Trout, Albert and Hamilton are SUPPOSE to perform against very good pitching. I am not saying there shouldn't be some drop in performance, but they aren't suppose to be this bad, especially Trout. We signed guys like Albert and Hamilton to get us over the edge and perform against the top level of competition and they are for the most part failing in that department, especially Hamilton. At least that is my opinion. We are 7-6 which isn't awful especially considering we have lost all but two of those games by a single run. If that trio was being even somewhat productive, we would be talking about us being 9-4 or 10-3.

You are correct, im just saying that under the circumstances if they slump a bit its not that big a shock, and that if we can overall hold our ground playing this level of competition with them slumping... we will be in a better place when they come out of it hopefully against the As directly :) 

You are correct, im just saying that under the circumstances if they slump a bit its not that big a shock, and that if we can overall hold our ground playing this level of competition with them slumping... we will be in a better place when they come out of it hopefully against the As directly :)

Yep, good teams win games when they aren't playing well.

The entire middle of the lineup is providing little to nothing. That is not schedule related when even David Freese is going 4-5.

You can't expect the lineup to be scoring lots of runs against ace starting pitching like Bud Norris (4-0, 0.43 ERA)

I see it as both.

A lull after 4 days off, combined with facing 3 rock solid staffs for the past 13 games, likely contributed; although yes the 2-3-4 hitters should be expected to perform better than they have out of the ASB gate.

Hopefully, that starts up in Tampa.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to get out of Baltimore with yesterday's win, some good momentum to take into Tampa.

Edited by Angel Oracle

When the playoffs come we can't lose series, well outside of the last two weeks, we had one a ton of series in a row. Including series against the A's, Mariners, Tigers, Toronto. I am thinking we will be fine. The offense has hit a bit of a bump in the road and we are still holding on and not falling back.

If this team has aspirations of going deep in the playoffs, the level of competition shouldn't matter.

Of course it matters. Even the best teams will play around .500 ball or slightly better against tough competition.

It doesn't excuse poor play, but a bad team would not have gone 7-6 during this stretch with their offense being effectively useless.

It will still come down to the starting pitching. Weaver and Wilson must pitch to their career numbers because the rest of the rotation is not used to pitching 170+ innings. The pen has been a revelation. Hopefully, Trout doesn't extend his slump like the one in May. He is still the key to the whole team.

You can tell Adam is pumped up because he actually posted something about the way the team is playing instead of something along the lines of, "we need more mexicans"

I think we have a satisfactory amount of Mexicans, but I'm open to suggestions.