• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Stock Market: The Thread

54 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

No. 

Guy at work is real into this stuff, tried to get me to set one up a few weeks ago. I figured "ill get to it, let me do my taxes first, then Ill ask more questions"

He made it sound super simple, but he didnt factor in how lazy I am. (Like asking for stock tips on here)

If the guy at work was good at it he wouldn't be guy at work trying to sell you on his stock picking skills he'd be guy on a yacht snorting lines off someone else's ass or at least guy in nice house with trophy spouse.  If you're in it for the long haul go with index funds and if you want a true set it and forget it approach go with a target retirement date fund. In recent years almost 90% of actively managed funds (i.e. the professionals who manage millions or billions of dollars for a living) have been out performed by their respective indexes. 

6 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

If the guy at work was good at it he wouldn't be guy at work trying to sell you on his stock picking skills he'd be guy on a yacht snorting lines off someone else's ass or at least guy in nice house with trophy spouse.  If you're in it for the long haul go with index funds and if you want a true set it and forget it approach go with a target retirement date fund. In recent years almost 90% of actively managed funds (i.e. the professionals who manage millions or billions of dollars for a living) have been out performed by their respective indexes. 

To be fair, the guy at work isnt doing it to get rich (me neither), but more just taking some money thats just sitting in a savings acount, not doing anything, and seeing if i can do something better with it.

I have deferred comp, maybe im better off just increasing my payment into that? But I always assumed this was the time to by, in general. When stocks are down, before they rebound.

There's nothing wrong with buying individual stocks it just carries more risk than some other options available to investors.  Owning stock in a few companies has you less diversified and those companies could under perform their industry, deal with management turnover, fraud (Enron which is obviously a rare and extreme case, not the norm) and so on which impact the stocks performance.  An S&P 500 index fund owns the underlying stocks in the 500 companies that make up the index, covers pretty much every industry and many of those companies doing business all over the world so it's diversified.  You're never going to outperform the market like you could with individual stocks but historically over any 30 year period you're looking at ~10% annualized returns with dividends reinvested.  You can tell what I prefer but whatever route you go kudos to you for doing it because too many people don't take advantage of compounding returns and the time they have before retirement. 

10 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

To be fair, the guy at work isnt doing it to get rich (me neither), but more just taking some money thats just sitting in a savings acount, not doing anything, and seeing if i can do something better with it.

I have deferred comp, maybe im better off just increasing my payment into that? But I always assumed this was the time to by, in general. When stocks are down, before they rebound.

Spend the money on hookers and blow.  Just remember to wear a mask for the hookers, because safety first.

18 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

There's nothing wrong with buying individual stocks it just carries more risk than some other options available to investors.  Owning stock in a few companies has you less diversified and those companies could under perform their industry, deal with management turnover, fraud (Enron which is obviously a rare and extreme case, not the norm) and so on which impact the stocks performance.  An S&P 500 index fund owns the underlying stocks in the 500 companies that make up the index, covers pretty much every industry and many of those companies doing business all over the world so it's diversified.  You're never going to outperform the market like you could with individual stocks but historically over any 30 year period you're looking at ~10% annualized returns with dividends reinvested.  You can tell what I prefer but whatever route you go kudos to you for doing it because too many people don't take advantage of compounding returns and the time they have before retirement. 

Nah fuck all that.

join the autists over at Wallstreetbets and trade options.  Puts all day baby.

SPY 200 4/25

On 3/11/2020 at 6:39 AM, Lhalo said:

Cruise lines are all down around 50%. If our government bails them out I’m going to be livid. When was the last time you saw an American working on a cruise ship? If they go out of business then oh well. Tough shit. 

A good article on why we shouldn't bail them out.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/economics-cruise-ships

9 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

Kind of like being at the craps table, you are looking to follow the trend?  Put when the market starts tanking and calls when it is rising?

I was half joking, but I doubt the market is going to recover anytime soon. We're still in the early stages of Covid 19

On 3/20/2020 at 4:36 PM, Lhalo said:

A good article on why we shouldn't bail them out.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/economics-cruise-ships

Lol @ zerohedge.com (a proven conspiracy site), but I agree that cruise companies shouldn't be bailed out. They have a long history of underpaying and mistreating employees, as well as hiding behind the excuse of "international waters" to cover up murders, rapes, and disappearances that happen on board ships. It's a slimy industry.

11 hours ago, Taylor said:

Lol @ zerohedge.com (a proven conspiracy site), but I agree that cruise companies shouldn't be bailed out. They have a long history of underpaying and mistreating employees, as well as hiding behind the excuse of "international waters" to cover up murders, rapes, and disappearances that happen on board ships. It's a slimy industry.

Although I enjoy cruising, I tend to agree with you. These ships seems to be breeding grounds for all manor of viruses. Get that under control first.

Also, cruises are a luxury thing, not a necessity like air travel.

58 minutes ago, Tank said:

Although I enjoy cruising, I tend to agree with you. These ships seems to be breeding grounds for all manor of viruses. Get that under control first.

Also, cruises are a luxury thing, not a necessity like air travel.

On 3/20/2020 at 6:00 PM, NrM said:

I was half joking, but I doubt the market is going to recover anytime soon. We're still in the early stages of Covid 19

Nobody has any real idea when the market will hit bottom. It could be tomorrow, or the Dow may drop another 10,000 points before things turn around.

On March 9, 2009 when the Dow hit rock bottom at around 6,500 there were stories in the financial media saying we might go down to 5,000 or lower before the carnage was done. Those predictions were wrong of course, as were the recent articles at the beginning of the year that the Dow was headed on a fast track to 30,000 and then beyond. It's pure speculation.

But if you want my own estimate, I'd say we'll be looking at Dow 14,000 very soon. That's another 26% down from here. Keep your powder dry. Cash is okay right now.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

Nobody has any real idea when the market will hit bottom. It could be tomorrow, or the Dow may drop another 10,000 points before things turn around.

On March 9, 2009 when the Dow hit rock bottom at around 6,500 there were stories in the financial media saying we might go down to 5,000 or lower before the carnage was done. Those predictions were wrong of course, as were the recent articles at the beginning of the year that the Dow was headed on a fast track to 30,000 and then beyond. It's pure speculation.

But if you want my own estimate, I'd say we'll be looking at Dow 14,000 very soon. That's another 26% down from here. Keep your powder dry. Cash is okay right now.

I don't think anyone here does