• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Stock Market: The Thread

None of what's going on should really bother your average investor.  If you're retired or near retirement your asset allocation should reflect that with a good chunk of your investments in fixed income investments.  If you aren't and you're in it for the long haul then you continue to sock away what you can, ride the ups and downs and change your asset allocation as you age.   Unfortunately people are going to pull money out because of fear but they won't end up getting back in at the right time.  Studies show that people who invest on emotions and try to time the market cost themselves returns in the long run.  

1 hour ago, mrwicked said:

i love clearance sales on equities. 

it's expected volatility.

all it means is we are back to october 2019 levels. another way to look at it: since early October stocks had rallied 11% (ie a lot). we just gave that back. oh well. 

Except that Joe 401k has been buying equities at higher levels than that since October.  But point taken.

1 hour ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

None of what's going on should really bother your average investor.  If you're retired or near retirement your asset allocation should reflect that with a good chunk of your investments in fixed income investments.  If you aren't and you're in it for the long haul then you continue to sock away what you can, ride the ups and downs and change your asset allocation as you age.   Unfortunately people are going to pull money out because of fear but they won't end up getting back in at the right time.  Studies show that people who invest on emotions and try to time the market cost themselves returns in the long run.  

*This guy* is close to, if not retiring, then at least quitting my soul-sucking job.  I have been deathly afraid of a really big pullback on the market (I was thinking of a Trump fuck up, not a virus) that would hinder my asset goal, so I have been very conservative the last half year.

I just checked my 401k as of last night, and I am down only $863 for the month.  Since I am heavily in fixed income, I assume I will actually be positive after month-end dividends.

I also have other accounts where I have lost some money.

If I play it right and get back into the market after the virus runs its course, I can actually do well.

6 hours ago, yk9001 said:

It shot up right at the end.

People must be expecting good news over the weekend.

Either that or the damn thing is just way oversold, and the buyers are pouring back in to snap up cheap companies. 

We'll see, but it could simply be a relief rally and then we drift back down, especially on any negative news about the virus. Still a lot of unknowns.

Down 900 one day, up 1,294 the next.

Down 875 yesterday, up 891 today.

This feels a bit like 2008 when we had these wild swings day-to-day. I remember an energy fund I had at the time dropping 16% one day, then rising 15% the next. The market is not healthy at all, not even remotely. I've been reading more and more analysts predicting a very big downturn, like 40-50% in the next few months. That would be devastating to millions.

One bad sign is that when the Fed initiates emergency 50bp cuts, it's always followed by a severe market turndown. Every single friggin time.