Sign in to follow this  
fan_since79

Stock Market: The Thread

14 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

We are overdue for a recession, currently the longest period between end of previous recession and now since the Great Depression?

are you sure? we just had a whopper of one in 2008.

the market often self-corrects, and maybe that's what we're due for. a recession is pretty damaging.

Markets are getting killed on new Chinese tariffs and Trump's order for U.S. companies to get out of China (not sure how he can do that), lower manufacturing report, Trump's new war with Fed Chairman Powell, and last but not least, Powell's weak speech at Jackson Hole. 

Investors are rushing  into bonds, and the 10-year Treasury yield is about to go under 1.5%, which is staggering to me.

On 8/23/2019 at 11:40 AM, fan_since79 said:

Markets are getting killed on new Chinese tariffs and Trump's order for U.S. companies to get out of China (not sure how he can do that), lower manufacturing report, Trump's new war with Fed Chairman Powell, and last but not least, Powell's weak speech at Jackson Hole. 

Investors are rushing  into bonds, and the 10-year Treasury yield is about to go under 1.5%, which is staggering to me.

A lot of the market volatility is headline-driven and not driven by meaningful economic data.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

A lot of the market volatility is headline-driven and not driven by meaningful economic data.

Well when you have algos running the market that's what happens.

17 hours ago, halomatt said:

So is it time for me to refinance my home mortgage?   I'm at 4.5% for a 30-year.  I'm kinda a financial idiot, so use small words.  Thanks.

Don't go to a big box company. If you go to a broker, you should be able to get somewhere around 3.75% for free.....or just minimal closing costs.

6 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

When FS79 isn’t afraid we are long overdue for a correction. Been a fun ride up but I’m more curious what kind of landing it will be. 

Negative interest rates from the Fed.

They're talking a Dow of 32,000 sooner rather than later. Apple has been blowing through one price target after another. Microsoft, Google, Facebook, all soaring into the stratosphere. Crazy days.

I think it was Greenspan who called this sort of thing "irrational exuberance". Then the bottom dropped out. Do you recall the Dow at 6,500? That was in March of 2009.

AAPL is still strong. Keep that stock forever. Every year a new iphone comes out and idiots like you and me buy them. If the airpods was a separate company, it would be a fortune 500. That's crazy!