• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Stock Market: The Thread

On 1/18/2018 at 6:53 PM, Warfarin said:

NASDAQ crashed due to the dotcom bubble.  Of course, there's a gigantic cryptocurrency bubble forming (and possibly beginning to deflate) right now.  We'll see if that has any impact on the stock market at large...

yep. poof.

what's crazy is people were mortgaging their houses to buy bitcoin when it was like $18k a coin. it's now down to the mid $3ks. 

ouch. 

https://www.coindesk.com/a-year-ago-today-bitcoins-price-was-at-a-record-20k

I think I mentioned something similar before and it sounds terrible but when I had friends who don't invest much bringing up cryptocurrency that's like getting stock advice from the guy in line behind you at the grocery store.  One buddy was telling me this time last year he put a bit in and while it was near the top luckily for him it wasn't much and he can afford to lose it.  Another buddy bought before the peak last year and had put in a lot.  He could have taken his gains but didn't so now he's looking at huge losses if he sells and praying for a comeback.

On 12/16/2018 at 9:05 AM, Angel Oracle said:

Unfortunately, CDs aren’t at nearly a good enough level to move money into them, yet.

Robinhood as of last week had a plan for 3% interest on savings accounts with no minimum.

That was rolled back when federal regulators stepped in and said, "Not so fast!".

I'm going to keep an eye on it however, to see if they can redo it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/15/robinhood-to-re-brand-savings-account-plan-after-widespread-criticism.html

On 12/16/2018 at 9:05 AM, Angel Oracle said:

Unfortunately, CDs aren’t at nearly a good enough level to move money into them, yet.

I've been in t-bills most of the year in my after tax account.  A month or so ago, one year T Bills were approaching 3.00%.  Now around 2.65%.

Tax free at the state level.

I am praying for a fed rate hike.

17 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Robinhood as of last week had a plan for 3% interest on savings accounts with no minimum.

That was rolled back when federal regulators stepped in and said, "Not so fast!".

I'm going to keep an eye on it however, to see if they can redo it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/15/robinhood-to-re-brand-savings-account-plan-after-widespread-criticism.html

Come on, dude.  

T bills

Tax free at state level

Backed by the US government

Frigging Robin Hood?  The junk that Matt Money Smith peddles on the radio?

Come on, man.

50 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

So T Bills in a Roth account?

You aren't getting the tax benefits of t bills in a Roth.

I checked my brokerage account today.  One year T bills are getting 2.67% YTM.  If you can do better elsewhere (not Robinhood, and I wouldn't even put my money in Bank of Kenesaw CDs or some other skeevy bank) for cash, use it.  If not, T bills.

If you need any evidence that this market is being manipulated, the 800-point drop in the past hour since the Fed announced an EXPECTED rate hike is a perfect example.

Especially in light of the good news for markets that the Fed anticipates only two hikes next year, rather than the expected three. A normal market would be rising nicely today.

They ran this thing up in the morning, and at the announcement which was totally expected, crashed it in a matter of seconds. Look at today's chart.

Laughable. I'm still in the market as my horizon is 10-15 more years and in the long term I will make some nice profits. 

Edited by fan_since79

18 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Wonder if some computerized accounts auto sell when a rate hike hits?   What else causes such a steep drop, when it was announced there would only be 2, and not 3, rate hikes in 2019? 

Tomorrow might answer that question, if we see a big jump up in the stock market.   

All reason seems to have abandoned this market.

Down again big time today with no end in sight. 

I'm still invested, but yesterday I shaved some positions and added to cash. Took money out of growth fund. "Balanced" funds are not too bad right now, as many of them have 30-40% in bonds which are doing well. 

7 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

All reason seems to have abandoned this market.

Down again big time today with no end in sight. 

We just did a shitload of tax loss harvesting today with this crappy market.  There are tons of reasons for selling right now.

Give me the reason for investing right now.  I am all ears.  

And I need better than "Because the market is down a lot" and "oversold".

Give me real, legit reasons for investing right now.

I'll be buying if the Dow falls below 20,000. Before then, nope.

A big drop tomorrow, and I'll be shaving some more of that growth fund I own. The market IS oversold, but that doesn't mean a thing because these are irrational times.

Apple at a P/E of 13?!  Ridiculously cheap, but given the irrationality of markets, it could still fall a lot more.

When they run out of sellers, the rally will be nuclear.

16 hours ago, yk9001 said:

We just did a shitload of tax loss harvesting today with this crappy market.  There are tons of reasons for selling right now.

Give me the reason for investing right now.  I am all ears.  

And I need better than "Because the market is down a lot" and "oversold".

Give me real, legit reasons for investing right now.

My reason for investing now and in any other situation I've seen during my lifetime is that I invest for the long term.