• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Not so fabulous Fabio

I know I complain about JD giving too much in trades, and I still think he hasn't always made the best use of organizational currency, but biggest major league impact he's traded away to date are Jean Segura and Jordan Walden.   

Well Jose Rondon will be the next Alex Rodriguez.

Anyhow, I assume that you are only talking about prospects? Ervin Santana is still a pretty good player. Tyler Chatwood was good in 2013. But yeah, I hear your point.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Well Jose Rondon will be the next Alex Rodriguez.

Anyhow, I assume that you are only talking about prospects? Ervin Santana is still a pretty good player. Tyler Chatwood was good in 2013. But yeah, I hear your point.

You mean Tyler 'David Copperfield' Chatwood?  Even Troll Daddy would have to agree that his 2013 performance was an impressive show.  

I actually forgot about Ervin and have a hard time considering him part of the equation because of how bad he was in 2012.  

I don't blame the Walden trade, it was essentially Frieri/Grilli. I guess you can say we lost because Hansen wasn't shit, but Walden sucked when we traded him. With Segura, I'm still in wait and see mode. If the dude goes lifetime .270 and just average I won't think much of the trade....hell, I'd still do it. 

I know I complain about JD giving too much in trades, and I still think he hasn't always made the best use of organizational currency, but biggest major league impact he's traded away to date are Jean Segura and Jordan Walden.   

That's a fair point. I prefer to look at trades in terms of whether we could have done better at the time, rather than how any prospects given up turned out. For example 2008 Brandon Wood for Jose Molina would have looked terrible at the time and we could have done infinitely better, even though we would have "won" that hypothetical trade in terms of MLB performance. Could we have got a pitcher for more value at the time than Hanson for Walden? Probably not. Could we have done better than a Greinke rental for the haul of prospects we gave up? I tend to think so, but I don't look at that as an awful trade as some others do.

That's a fair point. I prefer to look at trades in terms of whether we could have done better at the time, rather than how any prospects given up turned out. For example 2008 Brandon Wood for Jose Molina would have looked terrible at the time and we could have done infinitely better, even though we would have "won" that hypothetical trade in terms of MLB performance. Could we have got a pitcher for more value at the time than Hanson for Walden? Probably not. Could we have done better than a Greinke rental for the haul of prospects we gave up? I tend to think so, but I don't look at that as an awful trade as some others do.

I actually totally agree.  When you make a trade, you are using organizational currency of which there is only so much.  Sure, it stings when a prospect turns into a productive major leaguer, but that doesn't change their value at the time of the trade.  It's why I didn't like the freese trade but can at least stomach the Street trade a little more.  Neither are my favorite thing though. 

Good point about segura and walden doc.

I liked/like the grienke trade. Had we gotten into the playoffs, people would have liked it more. Had we resigned grienke, people would have liked it more.

Another way to view it, if we had finished 12 a few games worse than we did, and still had segura here on the bench (for argument sake) and whoever else we flipped still in the minors, dipoto and arte would have been accused of not doing anything.

As much as I agree that trading for rentals is risky, at the same time I also agree that teams who are very close sometimes need an extra piece. It wont always work. Doesnt mean you shouldnt try it.