• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

PEPBOYS - anyone ever had them install a car battery?

I usually go to Sears for their batteries.  It's been a while, so not sure on what they charge for installation if any.  You can do it yourself easy.

But the important thing if your battery went dead is to check your alternator.  As long as Pep Boys checks that, when putting your battery in for free, then it should be good.  If they don't check that, then you are really rolling the dice.

This is a Hyundai Tucson 2005. One dealer replaced the original battery in June 2012. After I went to Tuttle Click Irvine for simple oil change I've had 3 instances of dead battery. Coincidence?

Maintenance in Feb this year, dead battery within 10 days (March). Again in April and just recently today. I would need to go back to the Hyundai dealer for warranty purposes I guess. BUT they "tested" the battery after first occurrence (after being jumped and driven from MV to Irvine Auto Center) and claimed the battery was fine... 2nd time I didn't bother to go there.

I see Auto Zone will test batteries for free (while it's in the car). So I might have it jumped and drive over there tomorrow. If  the alternator was bad I don't think the battery would stay charged for long periods - true?

This is a Hyundai Tucson 2005. One dealer replaced the original battery in June 2012. After I went to Tuttle Click Irvine for simple oil change I've had 3 instances of dead battery. Coincidence?

Maintenance in Feb this year, dead battery within 10 days (March). Again in April and just recently today. I would need to go back to the Hyundai dealer for warranty purposes I guess. BUT they "tested" the battery after first occurrence (after being jumped and driven from MV to Irvine Auto Center) and claimed the battery was fine... 2nd time I didn't bother to go there.

I see Auto Zone will test batteries for free (while it's in the car). So I might have it jumped and drive over there tomorrow. If  the alternator was bad I don't think the battery would stay charged for long periods - true?

If you have AAA call them, they will send a battery truck out and test everything for you.

What exactly is happening before/after these dead batteries occur?  If your alternator was bad, jump starting the battery would not help.  The lights would flicker and the car wouldn't be driveable.

Almost all car batteries are under warranty for something like 6-8 years.  You should be able to get a prorated refund or credit toward a new battery. 

Stuff I found on Edmonds regarding this make/model:

1)One more thing to check. There was a problem on some Tucsons with a mis-aligned underhood switch that is connected to the alarm/security system. If it is misaligned, the security system is constantly drawing power but there are no outward signs that is doing so. Worth a look.

2)Took it into the dealer and they changed the computer that controls the security system. But I still had the problem. Finally, they changed the Drivers Door Master Switch (all the buttons in the driver side door armrest). They told me that Hyundai told them that they havd found that a bad door lock switch has sometimes caused this. On my repair slip they mention Case # 3707735. This has taken care of the problem. You guys may want to talk to you dealers about this

3)ALSO TBS 07-90-007 I have that radio but just now getting the dead battery syndrome and

TBS 06-90-015

OK  this car is low mileage b/c everything is so close here. So typically not on the road for more than 20 minutes. I drive daily though. I thought at one point it was a product of locking/arming (key fob) the doors so I just did the basic lock. Short drive yesterday no problem. Today dead battery.

It's just odd the problem started so recently - my driving habits haven't changed.

Have you been able to jumpstart your way out of trouble? 

And is it an "easy" jump start where it turns right over?

Yep. Had to pay a towing service twice. Turned right over. That's when I went back to TC the 1st time after their service to have them check it. You know they do the multi-point inspection which is supposed to include the battery? They let me wait 3 hours and found nothing wrong. Not sure what they were doing other than testing the battery...

PS the "service" was a basic oil change..

Edited by 2002_halos_II

Hyundai's tend to have issues with battery drain.  The security system could definitely be doing it.  Usually you can take it to a mechanic to diagnose the issue for ~$100 and they will refund the diagnostic cost if you get the car fixed by them.  I wouldn't take it to Pep Boys though.  Better to take it to a local mechanic that someone you know recommends.

Semi off topic but stuff like this is why I am always against people buying Hyundai.  They might seem like a nice kit for less money but you get what you pay for.

Yep. Had to pay a towing service twice. Turned right over. That's when I went back to TC the 1st time after their service to have them check it. You know they do the multi-point inspection which is supposed to include the battery? They let me wait 3 hours and found nothing wrong. Not sure what they were doing other than testing the battery...

Only takes about two minutes to test the alternator.  If the battery is fine and so is the charging system then you definitely have something draining the battery.  You can hook up a voltmeter to the battery cables while the car is off to see if it is showing drain.

Then take out fuses one by one to see if the drain stops.  Once it stops look up the fuse you removed to see which system is draining it.

Edited by nate

If the car turns right over with a jump start, the battery is only moderately discharged. 

My money is on the security system.  I would disable the security system temporarily by pulling the fuse and see if your battery troubles go away.  Then you know what the culprit is and can find the cheapest place to fix it. 

IF that's the cause, forget going to the dealerships.  Look on Yelp for a reputable repair shop that specializes only in automotive electrical. 

I don't have AAA. I checked into that once and the cheapest rate didn't include much. Towing within 7 miles IIRC ?!?

(I thought of towing so the dealer could diagnose a dead car...)

AAA is well worth the membership fee. It seems like wasted money until you actually need it. Even if you never get towed you can recover the cost of the dues by taking member discounts.

If your battery is dying that often, then it's probably not the battery.  You really need to have the alternator and possibly wiring checked.  Might also be a wire connector that easily comes loose and then reconnects itself.

I just bought a new car instead. Problem solved.

AAA is well worth the membership fee. It seems like wasted money until you actually need it. Even if you never get towed you can recover the cost of the dues by taking member discounts.

Their DMV services are also a big plus.  

And you can get free maps. Yes I still like to plan my trips on a large map and show my kids how we are getting to where we are going. Extremely useful is the LA freeway map so when you look at the Long Beach Fwy and it says Long Beach/Pasadena you can show your kids where those cities are located. Sometimes they don't show direction until you are about to get on the Fwy.

I have the extended towing (100 miles), it costs a little more but it takes away the concern of where my wife or I break down considering we live in a desert.

I have purchased batteries from Walmart and Sam's Club with free installation. No problems with either one and Walmart stands behind their warranty.

Problem with Walmart is the long wait to get it done. And their prices are not so low now. Sam's club was a lot faster and the price was similar for what I believe was a better quality battery.

With the heat here in the desert we change batteries just about every 3 years no matter what. The summer just drains them.