• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The trade many of us wanted

I'd say Chuck answered it pretty well.  

Nate Smith lacks the fastball but couples it with pretty decent offspeed offerings which could make him a solid back-end SP in the big leagues with further refinement.  

Nate Smith has a fastball???   He is fun to watch with those two different curves and the off-speed pitch.

You know the guy I cant quite figure out.  Harrison Cooney.  Dude isn't striking out anyone but his stuff all looks like it could take a huge step forward.

Nate Smith has a fastball???   He is fun to watch with those two different curves and the off-speed pitch.

You know the guy I cant quite figure out.  Harrison Cooney.  Dude isn't striking out anyone but his stuff all looks like it could take a huge step forward.

Cooney's a really under rated prospect.  He throws a very good fastball, usually 93-95 as a starter and higher as a reliever.  He's adding weight, so it's possible he could climb higher.  The issue is his fastball doesn't move much and he doesn't bother hiding it.  Here it is, hit it if you can.  With such good heat, most minor leaguers won't sit on it and take him deep.  They'll make contact but won't do much with it.  Both his slider and change up are inconsistent.  He'll spin them up there and sometimes he gets the desired result, other times they end up being "show me" type of pitches.  What I like that Cooney does most of all is that he keeps the ball down and on the outer half.  It keeps hitters at this level from taking him deep most of the time.  But that success only applies until you get to AA/AAA when hitters will go oppo more frequently.  Then he'll need to adjust. 

If it were me, I'd never bother putting him in the pen.  It looks like his command only improves later in the game, so he'd be highly inconsistent in one inning spurts.  

Cooney's a really under rated prospect.  He throws a very good fastball, usually 93-95 as a starter and higher as a reliever.  He's adding weight, so it's possible he could climb higher.  The issue is his fastball doesn't move much and he doesn't bother hiding it.  Here it is, hit it if you can.  With such good heat, most minor leaguers won't sit on it and take him deep.  They'll make contact but won't do much with it.  Both his slider and change up are inconsistent.  He'll spin them up there and sometimes he gets the desired result, other times they end up being "show me" type of pitches.  What I like that Cooney does most of all is that he keeps the ball down and on the outer half.  It keeps hitters at this level from taking him deep most of the time.  But that success only applies until you get to AA/AAA when hitters will go oppo more frequently.  Then he'll need to adjust. 

If it were me, I'd never bother putting him in the pen.  It looks like his command only improves later in the game, so he'd be highly inconsistent in one inning spurts.  

The Angels have done a pretty interesting job of going after college pitchers who weren't really all that polished.  You watch Cooney pitch and you see the inconsistencies but you see the results he's getting and you sorta dream a little on what he could be, thus my comment about him being a guy who's stuff could take a major step forward.  I wouldn't call him raw because he repeats his actions really well and he's got a clue where the stuff is going but you can see so much room for him to grow...     Just a really interesting arm.   I'm sort of goofing on my Nate Smith lovefest but I really do like watching him pitch. 

Although, a healthy Trumbo would be nice in our lineup. 

Really? Just found this at USA Today:

Arizona Diamondbacks OF Mark Trumbo was hitless in four at-bats Friday, July 25, to extend his slump to 3-for-24. He is now hitting just .191 overall this season.

Not quite Jeff Mathis territory, but it's getting close to the same zip code.

Really? Just found this at USA Today:

Arizona Diamondbacks OF Mark Trumbo was hitless in four at-bats Friday, July 25, to extend his slump to 3-for-24. He is now hitting just .191 overall this season.

Not quite Jeff Mathis territory, but it's getting close to the same zip code.

But.....but he hit 5 HRs in 7 games in his re-hab

The Angels have done a pretty interesting job of going after college pitchers who weren't really all that polished. You watch Cooney pitch and you see the inconsistencies but you see the results he's getting and you sorta dream a little on what he could be, thus my comment about him being a guy who's stuff could take a major step forward. I wouldn't call him raw because he repeats his actions really well and he's got a clue where the stuff is going but you can see so much room for him to grow... Just a really interesting arm. I'm sort of goofing on my Nate Smith lovefest but I really do like watching him pitch.

There are two types of prospects the Angels chase more than anyone, at least to my knowledge. Collegiate closers and Cape Cod League standouts.