• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Bullpen

RallyMo

agreed.

But, at the same time, jepsen could have been a huge help before. Hawkins is still very solid, just didnt make a mark here. Burnett was horrible luck. Etc

Not defending him. He should have focused on the pen long ago.

I've always thought his big weakness was his failure to ensure we had enough pitching depth. Sometimes you get by with that and find success where it seemed highly unlikely (see Matt Shoemaker). But he's certainly corrected that with the bullpen this year, even if the cost was too high. The depth there now is ridiculous.

Grilling has surprised me. He obviously won't keep this pace, but his numbers are outstanding, and his peripherals back it up.

I'm a little surprised that he's been this good too, but I think JD knew what he was doing with this one.  Maybe he won't keep it up, but maybe he will.  He was outstanding in Pitt the past couple seasons and just got banged up at the beginning of this season.  Seems that his success right now has more to do with him being healthy then pitching over his head.  I might be overly optimistic, but we might just be seeing 2012-2013 Grilli instead of April-May 2014 Grilli.  Meanwhile, Big Ern has a 10 ERA and a .342 BAA.

I'll hand it to JD, this bullpen is nails right now.  It's impressive how completely and totally he's overhauled it in the past couple months.  But it begs the question: what took him so long!?!?!  

What did the July bullpen ERA end up being? 

It has to be in the 1.70's, or even 1.60's.

I can't remember even the 2002-2008 bullpens ever having a month this good, and there were quite a few dandies.

Not only the ERA, but stranding inherited runners was excellent as well. 

Thank you Jedi, thank you Butcher, thank you Scioscia, and most of all thank you pitchers! 

Edited by Angel Oracle

I can't remember even the 2002-2008 bullpens ever having a month this good, and there were quite a few dandies.

Thank you Jedi, thank you Butcher, thank you Scioscia, and most of all thank you pitchers!

Eric Kay ‏@EKayAngels 10m

For month of July, #Angels bullpen led A.L. in games (27), wins (9), IP (96), K (95) and ERA (1.69)...Ranked 2nd with 12 saves.

Woah. Super positive post by AO. Things must be going really well for the pen..