• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Peavy Traded

Lou

Quality minor league bats are more rare than quality minor league arms. It's how two minor league bats got two starting pitchers earlier this month, one whom is an ace.

I think it depends on which position they play, quality SP prospect probably has the most value follow by SS and C, non-power hitting/speed OF and 1B should have the least value.

The Red Sox will get Giants prospects Edwin Escobar and Heath Hembree in the deal, pending approval.

From what I can tell the Red Sox got two crappy pitching prospects...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=escoba001edw

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=hembre001ric

Escobar might be good, only 22, pitched well in AA last year, could be a back end SP in a couple year.

I hope not, that would be a very strange way to come up with a top 100 list. I think that would be more like a Scott Stradling Popularity Contest. It would basically be filled with Angels prospects, because I don't follow the minor leagues like you happen too. Would you have traded Russell for Sarmardzija? (I had to look up the spelling, that is a bullshit last name)

Yes. Aces only. 

How many Rondons did it cost them?

That will be the new currency.

1 Rondon = High A Prospect w/no power.

More valuable than an All Star Closer with 10 years MLB experience.

Less valuable than a Grichuck, a #5 rate prospect in the #29th rated minor league system.

Got this from the ESPN story comments.

Mark Droese · Operations at Brooksource

I'm a Giants fan. Hembree was thought to be he Giants next closer and was close to making the 25 man roster this year. He throws hard (95+ mph). Escobar is a high prospect within the organization and also thought to be close to making the team as a starting pitcher. The thought was that he'd be in the big leagues, possibly as earlier as next year. On its face, the Giants gave up a lot to get Peavy - too much in my opinion. I do think the Giants hopes on Escobar have diminished so, so that is likely why he was expendable.

Got this from the ESPN story comments.

"I'm a Giants fan. Hembree was thought to be he Giants next closer and was close to making the 25 man roster this year. He throws hard (95+ mph). Escobar is a high prospect within the organization and also thought to be close to making the team as a starting pitcher. The thought was that he'd be in the big leagues, possibly as earlier as next year. On its face, the Giants gave up a lot to get Peavy - too much in my opinion. I do think the Giants hopes on Escobar have diminished so, so that is likely why he was expendable."

-Giants Shane

Prospects serve two functions. One: To replenish your big league club with players who are as good as or better than the ones you currently have, and two: To use as trade chips to obtain players who are as good as or better than the ones you currently have on your team.

It's always been this way. The Giants used their prospects in one of these two ways, and so did the Angels.

That will be the new currency.

1 Rondon = High A Prospect w/no power.

More valuable than an All Star Closer with 10 years MLB experience.

Less valuable than a Grichuck, a #5 rate prospect in the #29th rated minor league system.

Lots of shortstops out there with power are there?