• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

FoxSports: Just a Bit Outside: Why going all out for the second wild card spot just doesn't make sense

ettin

Good article: http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/why-going-all-out-for-the-second-wild-card-spot-just-doesn-t-make-sense-072314

This further supports the reasoning behind why we paid more for Huston Street. Starting pitchers in Wild Card play off games have traditionally withered in later innings (after the 6th) requiring the bullpen to step in and hold the opposing team at bay.

OK seriously, if ANYONE thinks thats the goal, you are a fool.

We didnt need Street for that, we already had it... the goal it to pass Oakland.. thats why the deal was made

when the Hades did 2 games out in July become a foregone conclusion? This is just stupid, it really is

Wow rage much Flop? Who pissed in your cheerios this morning?

I merely said that adding Street supports one of the points the article made about extensive use of bullpen arms in a Wild Card playoff. I didn't say it was the reason that is why I used the word "support".

Of course the goal is to pass Oakland. That should be readily apparent to anyone, anywhere. However if we do get into a one-game Wild Card playoff adding Huston Street increases the odds of our surviving that game and continuing on. ANYONE should be able to see the logic in that.

We didnt need Street for that, we already had it... the goal it to pass Oakland.. thats why the deal was made

when the Hades did 2 games out in July become a foregone conclusion?   This is just stupid, it really is

But how do you really feel?

when the Hades did 2 games out in July become a foregone conclusion?   This is just stupid, it really is

Getting Street improved the Angels chance to pass Oakland and also to win the WC game, especially based on the info in the article. Brilliant!

The rage, as it was put, is simple... we have seen a lot of people on this board imply or come out and clearly state both directly and indirectly that we are playing for the wild card.  This article may not have directly said this, but many here have.  This post seemed inline with that thinking or reasoning for posting it.  If i mistook that i apologize, but i cannot abide those who are already giving up on the division... that i wont apologize for.

The rage, as it was put, is simple... we have seen a lot of people on this board imply or come out and clearly state both directly and indirectly that we are playing for the wild card. This article may not have directly said this, but many here have. This post seemed inline with that thinking or reasoning for posting it. If i mistook that i apologize, but i cannot abide those who are already giving up on the division... that i wont apologize for.

Fair enough Flop. For the record the article indicated that no matter who wins the West any other team winning the 2nd Wild Card would have to face either the Angels or the A's and will face a difficult battle in either of those team's home parks.

I do agree with you that we are more than perfectly capable of winning the Division. But if we don't and we win a Wild Card spot we are still better positioned by adding Street to win that one-game playoff game.

I agree with the article in a sense, I just think the term "giving up your future for a coin flip"  is a little flippant. I mean there has to value on making a game that has a 50% chance of making a run into the post season and it would merit making some moves.

I agree with the article in a sense, I just think the term "giving up your future for a coin flip"  is a little flippant. I mean there has to value on making a game that has a 50% chance of making a run into the post season and it would merit making some moves.

reason 836 why the added wildcard was a terribad idea.

reason 836 why the added wildcard was a terribad idea.

Vintage Selig. If they were going to add another round to they playoffs, it should have been a minimum best-of-three, with either a 1-1-1 setup or 1-2. One game in a sport with outcomes as screwy as baseball doesn't prove anything.

So if we play really well down the stretch but lose out the division but comfortably win the first wild card by 8 or 10 games, is it really a coin flip? I get that anything can happen in a one game playoff, but we proved all season long that we were a better team. I am assuming that the wild card team with the better record gets home field advantage. We would absolutely be favored in that game, unless we face Felix and then it will be a pick em. A lot has to go against us to make that be the case. I am assuming of course that the M's won't comfortably win the wild card and will have to battle it out until the last couple of games to make that happen. If that isn't the case then the West will literally have the three best records in the American league. I just don't see how the second wild card will have it wrapped up before the last game or two of the season. I also have a feeling that the Mariners will not hold on to win the wild card.

So if we play really well down the stretch but lose out the division but comfortably win the first wild card by 8 or 10 games, is it really a coin flip? I get that anything can happen in a one game playoff, but we proved all season long that we were a better team. I am assuming that the wild card team with the better record gets home field advantage. We would absolutely be favored in that game, unless we face Felix and then it will be a pick em. A lot has to go against us to make that be the case. I am assuming of course that the M's won't comfortably win the wild card and will have to battle it out until the last couple of games to make that happen. If that isn't the case then the West will literally have the three best records in the American league. I just don't see how the second wild card will have it wrapped up before the last game or two of the season. I also have a feeling that the Mariners will not hold on to win the wild card.

Yeah, it pretty much is a coin flip. The best we could hope for would be a 60 per cent probability of winning that game and it's more likely to be around 50.

I said it at the time and I'll say it again...I hate the one-game playoff. I can almost live with the second wildcard, but at least make it a best-of-three series.

I like the format, but instead of a one game playoff, I'd make it a best of three, then make both the ALDS &ALCS best of 7. It'd require a deeper pitching staff and further put the WC winner at a disadvantage while also improving the chances of WC1 beating WC2.

The more playoffs, the better. Making one fame playoffs into best of three and making 5 game playoffs into best if 7 seems like a great idea.