• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Point/Counterpoint - Beating a Dead Horse: The Street Trade

One thing is for certain. As long as Smith and Street are healthy, this team is not going to lose very many 7th inning leads. I would say 6th inning leads, but as amazing as he's been the last few months,  I know that the moment I trust Jepsen, he'll let me down.

Gott

5.1 ip

0.00 era

0.375 whip

Alvarez

1.29 whip

I am not quite as bothered by this trade as I was last week, in part because it looks like this Gott kid could have some upside. I wouldn't be shocked if he was putting up Alvarez type numbers in AA next year.

At the time I was OK with it but not loving it. Now I like it. If giving up some future average / above average MLB talent gets us a good playoff run you have to go for it. This team has a 3 year window before Pujols skills sky rockets down (my opinion) as his contract sky rockets up (fact). 

We have a fantastic bullpen now.

My biggest complaint is this should have happened during the offseason. 

You can't really say they did nothing in the offseason. Low level signings like Rapada, Lyon, and Carson. Big signing of Smith. Rule 5 choice of Moran. Trade for Salas and J. Alvarez. There was the hope that Burnett, Maronde, and DDLR would be of help. If Mulder was able to contribute to then rotation the Santiago and Shoemaker are pen pieces and injury starters. They certainly didn't anticipate the complete meltdown of Frieri. Combine this with the thought that they might get contributions from the Morin, Bedrock, Alvarez trio and it's tough to argue they didn't try, especially knowing that teams hold their pen arms to get better value at deadline time.

You can't really say they did nothing in the offseason. Low level signings like Rapada, Lyon, and Carson. Big signing of Smith. Rule 5 choice of Moran. Trade for Salas and J. Alvarez. There was the hope that Burnett, Maronde, and DDLR would be of help. If Mulder was able to contribute to then rotation the Santiago and Shoemaker are pen pieces and injury starters. They certainly didn't anticipate the complete meltdown of Frieri. Combine this with the thought that they might get contributions from the Morin, Bedrock, Alvarez trio and it's tough to argue they didn't try, especially knowing that teams hold their pen arms to get better value at deadline time.

If you call dumpster-diving (with the exception of Smith) trying, then OK. But we can be thankful that Jerry rectified the situation in July rather than falling apart in September.

If you call dumpster-diving (with the exception of Smith) trying, then OK. But we can be thankful that Jerry rectified the situation in July rather than falling apart in September.

Well he could have signed Brian Wilson or Grant Balfour or Joe Nathan. Or traded for Jim Johnson or Heath Bell. He actually got lucky that waiting on Tanaka forced him not to spend too much on RP. He got the best of the bunch and tried to do what he could. It's tough to anticipte that every single lefty you acquire wil disintegrate along with your closer.

Including Jepsen's stats after opening night in here to avoid the likely jinx from starting a new thread:

42.1 innings, ERA and WHIP both around 0.80

Stats over past 14.2 innings:

5 hits, 17/1 Ks/BBs, 0.00 ERA, WHIP around 0.40, 21/10 GB/FB

Smith, Jepsen, Street is how it should stay.

Grilli is emerging as a solid #4 option.

Morin's slump and Thatcher's inability to get lefties out are the two concerns currently.

Maybe Dipoto overspent, but the voice from above was to get to the post season.  I haven't had as much confidence in a decade as I do now from the 7th inning on.  A solid bullpen is what was needed and it looks terrific now.

Great trade.  I'm in the "Lou camp" - worry about 2016 and 2017 next year and the year after.