• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols using the whole field

It seems to me one of the recent improvements for Pujols with his improved offense is the return, at least in part, of his ability to use the whole field. His game-tying double yesterday is a good example. But more than that, he's been doing better at taking the ball where it's pitched and beating the shift with hits. Nice to see. 

Was just gonna post something about pujols

By signing 5hat comtract, he invited the magnifying glass. And lets be honest, he hasnt lived up to the hype.

That said, hes quietly having a better year than I thonk most realize. If he wasnt named albert pujols, his offense numbers would be pretty good. He also still plays great defense at 1B. He should have been beaten with a belt for some of his baserunning mistakes, but all in all hes been pretty good this year.

His baserunning blunders I think are a result of this teams aggressiveness on the basepaths, and forcing the opposing team to make a perfect play.

No doubt Pujols is a better hitter when he puts the ball where it's pitched. Home runs are great, but sorry to say his pop just isn't what it used to be.

It will be interesting to see his development, because he does adjust.

His baserunning blunders I think are a result of this teams aggressiveness on the basepaths, and forcing the opposing team to make a perfect play.

No doubt Pujols is a better hitter when he puts the ball where it's pitched. Home runs are great, but sorry to say his pop just isn't what it used to be.

It will be interesting to see his development, because he does adjust.

i don't think his homerun numbers as an angel have been bad or even a problem really. the two biggest factors for pujols' decline have been health and a poor approach at the plate, namely pulling everything. hitters rolling the ball over to third is usually symptomatic of a dead pull approach, which is itself a symptom of trying to hit homeruns. 

pujols was known for having a great linedrive swing and going up the middle/the other way with pitches, which allowed him to hit for an incredibly high average, and the combination of his strength and approach allowed him to hit a ton of homeruns.

many hitters become dead pull hitters as they age because they're starting earlier to make up for lost bat speed. maybe this is the case for pujols and maybe it isn't. personally, i don't believe he has a "slider speed bat" yet. i'd like to see his approach go back to up the middle/the other way and see where his numbers went. 

as an example, i don't think yesterday's double was indicative of an approach change. from what i saw, he was late and jammed inside and he took it off the handle of the bat to right field.