• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hunter Green

• 2 weeks later...

Green has a VERY long way to go.  His upside indicates he should've been drafted in the first round, but considering how raw he is vs most other high schoolers, I know understand why he dropped into the 2nd round.  It isn't like the Angels signed one of the premier lefties from California, Texas or Florida, the kid is from Kentucky.  You'd be hard-pressed to find any competition out there even among traveling teams that could match up to your average high school team in California, so he comes from a background of having easy success.  You also have to figure that coaching there isn't quite on par with California or professional pitching coaches, so there's a lot Hunter has needed to learn to catch up.

But as I've been told before, it usually all washes out by around AA.  Players that are more talented but from lesser competition make up ground and find themselves on equal ground with many of the warm weather kids after 2-3 years of minor league ball.  Now of course, there are always exceptions.  Trout being THE exception, but also pitchers competitive pitchers from DII and JC's will usually have things click for them only about a year later.  Case in point, Sean Newcomb.  He'll probably have a bit of an adjustment period his first year coming from a talent-starved collegiate area. After that his talent should take over. 

I feel Green will be fine long term, just need to be really patient.