• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto: Angels not likely to make any more trades

Stanton?  Price?  All available for any scrubs we don't want.  

Ha...exactly.  :)

I wonder what it would take to get Stanton?  Something like Richards and Calhoun as a starting point, but I don't even know what else we could offer beyond that that would make sense...

EDIT: ...and you know what's crazy?  Calhoun and Richards are both older than Stanton...

Edited by jsnpritchett

Ha...exactly.  :)

I wonder what it would take to get Stanton?  Something like Richards and Calhoun as a starting point, but I don't even know what else we could offer beyond that that would make sense...

EDIT: ...and you know what's crazy?  Calhoun and Richards are both older than Stanton...

Oh please.  For a guy like Stanton, the trade would center around Shuck.  And probably a guy like Cron.  Because Cron in the NL is a perfect fit.   :P

no more 'trades' but there may be some acquisitions...........

or some near trades for 'future' considerations.

expect some rotation guys (or even pen guys) at the end of their contracts to be moved by the trade deadline.

the deal would be something like a low level prospect (going nowhere - but would still qualify as a 'trade' I guess) and cash considerations for a month-plus rental guy.

the cash considerations would be equivalent to a month or two of the guy's salary IN ADDITION to the final 30 to 40 days that his new team would now be required to pay.

Don't know a full list but am sure there are back / mid rotation guys who fit this description and the guy's current club -- particularly a small/mid market payroll team could shave some payroll dollars, perhaps up to half of the guy's 2014 contract (cash considerations) plus the remaining month plus on $6-7 million dollar contract.  Old club would use September call ups at the major league minimum to back fill.

One pen guy who could fit this description is Wade Davis of KC, a LHP set up guy who is at the end of multi-year contract at rotation price (he got bumped out of the rotation due to ineffectiveness but has sort of re-tooled his career as a LHP pen guy and has been effective in that role) who KC likely does not have plans to sign again anyway and to get the kind of money he's getting now will need to be very effective with a contending team (KC was in contention but have fallen off the past week and have about a week or so to be deemed 'buyers' or 'sellers' at deadline time) and will need to sign with a larger market team who's payroll is big enough to pay a LHP pen depth guy decent money.

IMO, (but then Billy Beane somewhat proves otherwise each year) the big difference between perennial contending teams and the big market clubs vs. the others is the ability to spend a lot of money on the last five roster spots on the 25 man roster........small market teams simply cannot do that --  they can barely spend the money for a decent starting 9 plus a rotation.

I believe Dipoto.  Right now they're going to wait and see what happens with CJ Wilson.  If he can't get it figured out, or is Skaggs, Shoemaker or Santiago lose all remaining effectiveness we'll see the Angels make a strong push for Cliff Lee. 

But if Wilson comes back strong, the Angels will stick it out with who they have. 

I believe Dipoto.  Right now they're going to wait and see what happens with CJ Wilson.  If he can't get it figured out, or is Skaggs, Shoemaker or Santiago lose all remaining effectiveness we'll see the Angels make a strong push for Cliff Lee. 

But if Wilson comes back strong, the Angels will stick it out with who they have. 

The trade deadline will have passed before Wilson returns. Any decisions on trades will have to be made in the next ten days.