• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sick Bullpen?

Chuck

I mean seriously, our bullpen is pretty sick whether you thought we gave up too much to get Street or not. Let's keep focused on that in this thread (not the prospects we gave up). 

For the first time since the days of Percival, K-Rod, Shields, Donkey and Weber we can boast one of the best bullpens in the big leagues. 

Street, Smith, Grilli, Jepsen, Morin, Thatcher (loogy) and Rasmus (or Salas) for mop up duty. #SICK

One of our biggest voids has been filled, already boasting a top offense and top 5 starting rotation. 

Let's not forget Santiago....and  couldn't DDLR could still build up strength and be back this season?

Bedrock could be better in Sept after working on a few things..

I like the depth.

Edited by Homebrewer

Bingo! Exactly what I have been arguing. Street makes better. But can we be that much better than 1.65?

Bullpen's ERA since acquiring Grilli:

If you take away the outings from Hill and Rucinski it's 1.22

Maybe we could've used another arm to replace Rasmus/Salas, but did we really need a "shutdown closer"

I am stoked about this team and this bullpen is a part of it. The recent additions are great. I hope Rasmus stays. He has been stellar recently and deserves a shot at being mop up. Really though. He would be our mop up guy. You know, the guy with an ERA under 3. Ya, this team is going places

I definitely would not call our rotation top 5. Not even sure it is top 5 in the AL.

meh. Id agree, but you can also argue for it. Outside of the dodgers, you have oakland and...maybe detroit? Cinc, pitts, st lou....kc is having a good year...but not a whole lot

The difference is, were close to most of them (weve given up 40 more runs than the dodgers), but we have a better offense than almost all of them, and not a nightmare bullpen.

Detroit last few seasons is a good example of bullpen depth..

Bingo! Exactly what I have been arguing. Street makes better. But can we be that much better than 1.65?

It isn't really about lowering the ERA of the bullpen, but making the bullpen deeper.  Even if you get a solid starter to add to the rotation (which certainly would have cost more then Street did) you still have the chance of that starter having a bad game on any given day.  With a deeper pen you don't have to worry about pulling a starter if they aren't cutting it.  Having a deep pen is something that will help you every single game.  Adding a SP is something that MAY give you help every 5 games.

Edit:  I'm stoked we added Street.  It would have sucked to spend a ton on a SP and then possibly lose in a one game playoff that the pitcher we got didn't even play in.  The addition of Street makes it so that we can pull whoever starts that game very early on if they aren't cutting it and almost ensures the game can be closed out.

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

pretty solid pen........let's see if everyone can perform well and, actually, as the old saying goes, many hands make for light work........

so if all the pen guys can perform it means none of them should be over-worked down the stretch.

and in a game like last night's 16 inning win, we need them all........

this pen line up should allow the Halos to shorten games for the starters the rest of the way which really helps the rotation towards season's end.

I am hoping Scioscia will mix and match with this group and not resort to 'formula' managing using this guy in one defined role and that guy in another.

with a pen this deep, you can afford to play the match ups and keep the other side off stride and always guessing..........

I am convinced when the other team KNOWS that pitcher X is coming in for the 8th and pitcher Y for the 9th, well, if they make game substitutions the manager does that with that 'formula' and potential match up in mind........when you mess with them and mix it up, the other side will have to guess what's going to happen rather than just KNOW.

The point of trading good prospects should be to get an impact player in return. The fact is that Street makes the bullpen better but will only pitch about 30 innings. His potential impact on the team really isnt that great. 

It isn't really about lowering the ERA of the bullpen, but making the bullpen deeper.  Even if you get a solid starter to add to the rotation (which certainly would have cost more then Street did) you still have the chance of that starter having a bad game on any given day.  With a deeper pen you don't have to worry about pulling a starter if they aren't cutting it.  Having a deep pen is something that will help you every single game.  Adding a SP is something that MAY give you help every 5 games.

Edit:  I'm stoked we added Street.  It would have sucked to spend a ton on a SP and then possibly lose in a one game playoff that the pitcher we got didn't even play in.  The addition of Street makes it so that we can pull whoever starts that game very early on if they aren't cutting it and almost ensures the game can be closed out.

Bullpen's ERA since acquiring Grilli:

If you take away the outings from Hill and Rucinski it's 1.22

Maybe we could've used another arm to replace Rasmus/Salas, but did we really need a "shutdown closer"

how about inherited runners scoring?

The point of trading good prospects should be to get an impact player in return. The fact is that Street makes the bullpen better but will only pitch about 30 innings. His potential impact on the team really isnt that great.

Frieri only pitched 31 innings for us this year.

No big deal, right?

Not sure how WAR works for pitchers, much less relievers, but Frieri gave up 22 runs in 31 innings with us. Street has given up 4 runs in 33 innings so far. Frieri's WAR with us was -.5. Street's WAR so far has been .5. That is a 1 game difference from Frieri at his worst to Street at his best. Street won't keep pitching the way he has been and he's not replacing Frieri, he's replacing Rasmus. By WAR standards he'll win us less than a game than what we have now

Not sure how WAR works for pitchers, much less relievers, but Frieri gave up 22 runs in 31 innings with us. Street has given up 4 runs in 33 innings so far. Frieri's WAR with us was -.5. Street's WAR so far has been .5. That is a 1 game difference from Frieri at his worst to Street at his best. Street won't keep pitching the way he has been and he's not replacing Frieri, he's replacing Rasmus. By WAR standards he'll win us less than a game than what we have now

How do you know he won't keep pitching the way he has been? Are you his doctor and know of but can't disclose possible injuries due to doctor/patient confidentiality laws?

I'm very against this trade, but this is an actual case of what people said the Wells deal was at the time. It makes us better but wasn't a smart deal. Still, that's a pretty epic bullpen to have at our disposal.

If one person said at the time that the Wells trade made us better it was one too many.

Yeah I'm not saying I completely agree with what we gave up for him, but I do think he will make a big impact.  Yes he may only pitch 30 innings, but he will be huge in the playoffs and in the big games that we need to win to get there. Plus we will have him all next year.  

I'd trade Jepsen but the value you list for him is probably well above what other teams willing to pay.

Jepsen probably better on our roster than trading him for whatever we could get for him at this point.

Jepsen is a pen depth guy not really even a set up guy........not much value.