• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Best Player of This Generation

Pujols didn't debut until 2000.

so total war is unfair. Is there an average WAR?

Total WAR is not unfair. It is the total value a player has produced. All that list shows is that during the years that Jeter played, he has the fifth highest total. It says nothing about how good he was in any given year, or what his average season was like.

Clearly Pujols and others were better during their prime, but there's no way around the fact that Jeter was a pretty valuable player over the course of his career.

The best player isn't always the face of a generation of baseball. Ichiro, Pujols, A-Rod, Vladdy were all better than Jeter. But Jeter was the most marketable.

There will never be any doubt that Trout is the best player of his generation. By the end perhaps of any generation. But someone else can be the face of the generation, like Harper or Stanton.

And I'm guessing that's fine with Trout. He just likes to play. The other stuff is just what it is, other stuff, not baseball.

Total WAR is not unfair. It is the total value a player has produced. All that list shows is that during the years that Jeter played, he has the fifth highest total. It says nothing about how good he was in any given year, or what his average season was like.

Clearly Pujols and others were better during their prime, but there's no way around the fact that Jeter was a pretty valuable player over the course of his career.

It is when you compare a player for 20 years to another who has played 14.  That is six years of 0 WAR because he didn't play.  That is my point.  I can understand a fair comparison of two players playing over the same time frame.

dammit. I almost said the same thing about griffey sr and bobby until I read this.

BRB. Have to set my vcr to tape murder she wrote. Tom selleck is gonna be on this one and I dont want to miss it.

dammit. I almost said the same thing about griffey sr and bobby until I read this.

BRB. Have to set my vcr to tape murder she wrote. Tom selleck is gonna be on this one and I dont want to miss it.

I wouldn't consider Bonds of the same era as Pujols.  Didn't Bonds play only 5 years of Pujols tenure?

Generation maybe too broad of a definition.  For most purposes a generations is like a 20 or 30 year period.  In that case Bonds would be considered the same generation.  But the periods of Pujols time and Bonds time would be unfair to compare since their times only crossed for five years.

I wouldn't consider Bonds of the same era as Pujols. Didn't Bonds play only 5 years of Pujols tenure?

Generation maybe too broad of a definition. For most purposes a generations is like a 20 or 30 year period. In that case Bonds would be considered the same generation. But the periods of Pujols time and Bonds time would be unfair to compare since their times only crossed for five years.

Generation is a false stat.