• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: Why is Mike Trout not in Home Run Derby? It was Scioscia's call

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-angels-mike-trout-home-run-derby-20140714-story.html

Mike Trout is the consensus best player in baseball. He would have been a natural for Monday night's Home Run Derby -- he has more home runs than any of the 10 contestants -- but he rejected an invitation.

"A lot of guys were giving me crap about it," Trout said Monday.

His Angels teammates?

"Around the league," Trout said.

Trout, 22, left little doubt that his decision reflected the wishes of Angels manager Mike Scioscia. Trout said he would welcome another opportunity to participate.

"If I get another chance, and if I said I wanted to do it," Trout said, "Scioscia would be against it, but he would support it."

According to Trout, Scioscia is concerned that taking so many hard swings in such a limited amount of time could hamper his performance and heighten the risk of injury.

"I don't think it will mess up my swing," Trout said.

Agree.  No reason to risk injury, anecdotal or not, it is 50+ extra swings for no reason.

I'm guessing the marketing alone using success at this event as the promotion would be a reason. Not that he needs it, but it could earn him more dollars.

Remember that Trout did have some minor back issues earlier this season. I think it's pretty reasonable for Scioscia to remember that, then remember that Trout has played basically every day since coming back from those issues, and conclude that 15-40 max effort swings in a meaningless event is an unwarranted risk.

I'm guessing the marketing alone using success at this event as the promotion would be a reason. Not that he needs it, but it could earn him more dollars.

It doesn't really help him.  He already has tons of recognition.  It just helps MLB which F helping them at the expense of Trout.

He does. SOSH does not have the authority to prevent Trout from participating. SOSH probably told Trout it wasn't a good idea to participate and that influenced Trouts decision.

That's certainly the way it sounds.

For every example of someone tanking after the HR derby, there are twice as many who stay the course on how they were playing prior to the Derby.

As for the back injury earlier this season, Sosh has had plenty of chances to rest Trout if he really needed it. He could get just as injured on one swing in this All-Star game, or crashing into a wall in left field as he could taking glorified batting practice.

Trout, 22, left little doubt that his decision reflected the wishes of Angels manager Mike Scioscia. Trout said he would welcome another opportunity to participate.

"If I get another chance, and if I said I wanted to do it," Trout said, "Scioscia would be against it, but he would support it."

So the author offers his opinion while quoting Mike Trout as saying MS wouldn't want him to do it but he would support it.  And then it's MS's fault.  

AW.com 101.

Edited by Inside Pitch

For every example of someone tanking after the HR derby, there are twice as many who stay the course on how they were playing prior to the Derby.

As for the back injury earlier this season, Sosh has had plenty of chances to rest Trout if he really needed it. He could get just as injured on one swing in this All-Star game, or crashing into a wall in left field as he could taking glorified batting practice.

You can't be serious.  One is helping the Angels win games, one isn't.

Nate, if it was an issue and needed rest (aka an All-Star break) Mike could have given him a day off. It's not like the offense has been puttering or he can't give a day off to his best player because Pujols and Hamilton are on the DL or something. His "back issue" is not an issue if he has been playing every day.

Nate, if it was an issue and needed rest (aka an All-Star break) Mike could have given him a day off. It's not like the offense has been puttering or he can't give a day off to his best player because Pujols and Hamilton are on the DL or something. His "back issue" is not an issue if he has been playing every day.

Again you can't be serious.  Rest your best player and hurt your team so he can participate in the HRD.  That is ludicrous.

Again you can't be serious.  Rest your best player and hurt your team so he can participate in the HRD.  That is ludicrous.

I'm not saying to rest him just so he can play in the Derby. But if he needed rest, as you suggest he might because he hasn't had a day off in a while, Sosh could have given him a day off if back was actually still bothering him.

Yeah, that describes the home run derby so accurately. 

Wow.  Just wow.  

Have you watched batting practice during a regular season game? These guys do that in every ballpark throughout the season. It is indeed glorified batting practice.