• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Lock Richards Up Long-Term?

Lock up long term a guy that you have control over for 4.5 years that has only pitched good for half a season?

I couldn't imagine teams like the DBacks giving Ian Kennedy a long term deal with his top 3 Cy Young finish years ago.

Technically it's been a full season now.   Richards posted a 3.59 ERA over 80 innings the second half of last year.  I'm not saying lock him up now, but he's been a lot better than people realize for a bit longer than just this season.

From what I have heard, it's the splitter and slider that causes a majority of UCL issues not the delivery motion. I'm not sure how true that is, but it makes sense considering the rash of TJ injuries over the past 8-10 years. The splitter was supposed to be an off-speed pitch. Some 6-10 mph slower than a pitcher's fastball. However, over time, it appears that guys are throwing 90+mph splitters and sliders because their fastball is in the upper 90s. An elbow can't sustain that over a career.

I don't know Richards' repertoire. But if he uses the slider and/or splitter frequently enough, then I would think he would have a greater chance of sustaining the injury.

Count me among those who think the Angels should wait. Right now they basically have him on a year-to-year, club-controlled basis for four years after this one. When those our years are done he'll be heading into his age 31 season. So basically locking him up is a means by which the Angels could get a couple more years from him in his 30s. Not worth the risk.

Let's revisit the question in a year or two.

That inverted W stuff is being discredited left and right first by Paul Nyman and most recently Dr James Andrews.  Here's a pretty decent link that had links to a bunch of different TJ story articles http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?tag=james-andrews

Richards has a couple things I hope really help him out -- mostly his usage at an early age.  GR was a RP for his first two years he barely pitched a combined 50 innings his first two years and didn't top even 100 innings until age 21, he didn't get over 150 innings until he was age 23.  If Andrews is right and guys getting abused at an early age is the biggest factor towards injuries the Angels may be in a good spot.  

I think when it's all said and done every pitcher is one pitch away from a potential career ending injury but, the Angels development of Richards is probably about as solid as anyone could have done.

I'd wait but it has to do less than injury than it does his service time.  I do wish they'd limit his pitch counts a bit.

Thanks for the link.  Interesting read.

What's with the jumping the gun today?  No need to buy out his arb years.  This is his first reason season that he has pitched really well.  It would be wise to go year to year and see if he progresses and is really the pitcher he is right now.

I'd definitely wait until he has a couple more reason seasons under his belt.

jk I agree with what you said