• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Help me out, farm system nerds:

yk9001

If you follow me on twitter, you know I don't follow the farm system.  But I seem to remember our farm being rated like 30th a couple years ago.

Yet Cron and Calhoun must have been in that farm at that time, and are raking for us now.

What gives?

Can't tell if you are totally trolling or not but the pitching from our farm system has been absolutely trash.

To answer your initial question...a lot of it is projection and Cron and Calhoun were college guys who aren't projected to have star potential - their projected ceiling was serviceable major leaguer.

True with Calhoun, he and Trumbo would be comparables, but not so sure about Cron.....Cron wasn't a great "tools" guy but was rated pretty highly...1st round guys are generally pretty good players....and you can see now what everybody saw in college---the guy can flat out rake....he looks like Adam Dunn on defense but he can rake....

Edited by DMVol

Can't tell if you are totally trolling or not but the pitching from our farm system has been absolutely trash.

The twitter part was trolling, but if we can get two pretty darn good players like Cron and Calhoun out of the system, it couldn't have been too bad.

Just because our farm was (and still is) rated 30th out of 30 teams doesn't mean that there's nobody there. It just means that 29 teams have more talent/potential than us.

I don't think any of the associated sites (BP, Sickels, etc) had Calhoun or Cron as more than average players. Cron still might not be. We'll have to see if the pitchers adjust and how he adjusts to that.

Calhoun, FWIW, was underrated (and probably still is by many *ahem Scioscia*).

I subscribe to BP and most of their prospect guys expect Newcomb to have a decent ceiling, but obviously, it's way too early to know.

The twitter part was trolling, but if we can get two pretty darn good players like Cron and Calhoun out of the system, it couldn't have been too bad.

Most teams have more than two every season.  It still is really bad.  One difference is that Dipoto has done a good job of signing 4A players that can help the lack of depth.

True with Calhoun, he and Trumbo would be comparables, but not so sure about Cron.....Cron wasn't a great "tools" guy but was rated pretty highly...1st round guys are generally pretty good players....and you can see now what everybody saw in college---the guy can flat out rake....he looks like Adam Dunn on defense but he can rake....

I don't think Cron has been projected to be much more than a 1b/DH type with some pop. Still not sold he is going to be any more than that.

Cron was never rated highly on BA, BP, etc. Don't think he made any top 100 prospect lists. 1B tend to have a tougher time being rated highly unless they simply mash with their bat. Cron didn't offer much in the way of defensive ability or base running ability, and his bat wasn't elite

Calhoun was just simply overlooked because his tools didn't stand out and he was never one of the younger guys at each level he played at. Sometimes that needs to be overlooked when a player is putting up great numbers at each level in the minors, and that's all Calhoun did

Calhoun is a bit of a late bloomer (full time player at 26), but like I said in another thread, we still don't really know what his ceiling is. He's got plate discipline, 20+ HR power, decent speed, and good contact ability, so at the very worst I say he's a .280/.350/.450 guy

If you follow me on twitter, you know I don't follow the farm system.  But I seem to remember our farm being rated like 30th a couple years ago.

Yet Cron and Calhoun must have been in that farm at that time, and are raking for us now.

What gives?

I stop reading right there.

I don't follow the farm system as much as most of you but everything people have said about Cron is that he projects to mostly be a DH or a 1B with poor defense.  I don't usually see guys like that popping up on top prospect lists but that doesn't mean some of the guys on there aren't poor defenders.  

As far as Calhoun goes if at the very worst he puts up an .800 OPS over a full season that would put him top 50 in all of baseball if the season ended today.  His OPS is currently higher but he isn't a qualified batter due to PA's.