• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bowden's Blockbuster for Street....

DMVol

Whatever value the likes of Segura, Hellweg, and Pena had on the trade market and therefore the organization was used up in half a season of Greinke for zero gain.  It was a net loss to the org.  To me, that's not a good trade.  Granted, it's not a disaster as those players are showing little to nothing at the major league level and keeping them would have little to no benefit to the major league club.  

That trade proposal by Bowden is as horrific as I've encountered.  Alvarez along has a good chance of being better than street in two years.  And wtf do we need Grandal for?  The platoon we have is good for 6th best WAR in baseball at the C position.  

Trading a boatload of what little minor league depth we have for a reliever and a C we don't need?  OK.  

Segura could still become someone. But so far he looks like the only one. To clarify, thats why I said I still support it. What I meant by being burned on the deal, I mean the fans not the team. As in it didnt work out, so (some) are hesitant to pull the trigger on someone else because theres no clean cut 'guarantee'

He could be a league average stick with wheels, but he was blocked.  I'm not saying he is a bad player, but I fully believe that Dipoto got absolute max value out of those guys.

I can't believe that once upon a time someone gave Jim Bowden the keys to a major league baseball team

Bowden isn't even the only head-scratching case of "how did he become a GM?!"

060212-MLB-White-Sox-Ken-Harrelson-PI-AA

Whatever value the likes of Segura, Hellweg, and Pena had on the trade market and therefore the organization was used up in half a season of Greinke for zero gain. It was a net loss to the org. To me, that's not a good trade. Granted, it's not a disaster as those players are showing little to nothing at the major league level and keeping them would have little to no benefit to the major league club.

That trade proposal by Bowden is as horrific as I've encountered. Alvarez along has a good chance of being better than street in two years. And wtf do we need Grandal for? The platoon we have is good for 6th best WAR in baseball at the C position.

Trading a boatload of what little minor league depth we have for a reliever and a C we don't need? OK.

I agree the trade is horribly lopsided but in Grandal's defense he is quite possibly the best pitch framer in baseball (possibly better than Molina).

A trade for Grandal could free us up to move Iannetta (one of the worst pitch framers) in a different deal but overall the Bowden suggestion is pretty dumb in terms of the players involved.

Lindsey for Street is an approximately even trade. Street will likely not even be worth picking up his option next year. $7 million for an approximately 0.8 WAR reliever is actually a negative investment.

Grandal for a couple of prospects sounds about right depending on who they are.

EDIT: I seriously doubt the Padres would trade Grandal when they could form a platoon of Grandal and Austin Hedges. That platoon would be the highest rated defensive duo of catcher in possibly the history of baseball.

Edited by ettin

Thank God this isn't real.

Seriously man, you should state that in the original post.

I'd thought we'd gone mental for a second. Trading 5 freaking prospects for a reliever! Not to mention the fact that our bullpen is much improved of late!

I wish we had another Segura, Hellweg, and Pena, only to make that trade again.     That was one of Dipoto's best moves, talk about maximizing value.

Liked the trade at the time. Still like it today. Liked it even when Segura was on fire. I know I'm in the minority but I still like the Haren trade (Reagins).

That being said I wouldn't trade too much for Street.

Bowden seems like a really good guy and is pretty good on camera. He was a really bad GM. Reading columns from him is like reading columns from Ruben Amaro Jr. 

Liked the trade at the time. Still like it today. Liked it even when Segura was on fire. I know I'm in the minority but I still like the Haren trade (Reagins).

Haren was a different deal....We had control over him for 2 1/2 years, could have been 3 1/2 if we had exercised his option.....We had Greinke for 2 months....He was ok, wasn't his fault that we didn't make the playoffs, but any way you slice it, you have to factor in that we didn't make the playoffs...."Go for it" makes sense at times but there is an inherent risk with it....if you don't make the playoffs, it has to factor in how you evaluate a trade(s).....

Personally, I still think the Greinke deal was a mistake. Segura will be a good SS at the league minimum. Not an all star but still quite good. Ariel Pena and John Hellweg would have been great AAA depth to have.

I do however like that Dipoto is willing to take risks.

And as for the Angels in 2-3 years, things will work out if we don't go giving it all away. Rondon at SS, Yarbrough or Lindsey at 2B, Green or Cowart at 3B and Cron or Pujols at 1B gives you a good enough infield. Trout, Calhoun and Ham in the OF will likely be the same value it is right now.

So offensively speaking, the Angels will still be a force to be reckoned with. On the pitching side of things, the hope is that in 3 years or do, Richards and Skaggs will be a 1-2, Sean Newcomb will be here and guys like Nate Smith, Kyle McGowin, Hunter Green and Ricardo Sanchez will be filling out the rest of the depth.

Anyone notice no one complains about trading Segura anymore? Maybe it as Scout alluded to, his one half of a season where he looked like the second coming of Jeter faded quickly. Now his. 587 OPS is quietly going unnoticed.

His head is still ringing from the bat he took from Ryan Braun.

Haren was a different deal....We had control over him for 2 1/2 years, could have been 3 1/2 if we had exercised his option.....We had Greinke for 2 months....He was ok, wasn't his fault that we didn't make the playoffs, but any way you slice it, you have to factor in that we didn't make the playoffs...."Go for it" makes sense at times but there is an inherent risk with it....if you don't make the playoffs, it has to factor in how you evaluate a trade(s).....

With the BS two wild card system I would only be in favor of a mid season rental trade if the team were in Oakland's position (or better) before the Samardzija deal happened. They were already favorites for the division and had a surplus of talent. The objective of the rental would be improve the playoff roster, and insurance to keep the division lead, not an attempt to catch up while behind for the division. 

Edited by ScottLux

Bowden seems like a really good guy and is pretty good on camera. He was a really bad GM. Reading columns from him is like reading columns from Ruben Amaro Jr. 

bowden is anything but a really good guy. he got fired for skimming the bonuses of international players. that is a dirtbag move.