• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bowden's Blockbuster for Street....

DMVol

I assume it's ok to copy it since it's on the free ESPN LA website....Pretty much cleaning out the farm...why do we need a catcher?

San Diego Padres-Los Angeles Angels

Padres receive: 2B Taylor Lindsey, 3B Kaleb Cowart, SS Jose Rondon, and RHPs R.J. Alvarez and Victor Alcantara

Angels receive: C Yasmani Grandal and reliever Huston Street

The Angels have the second best record in baseball behind only the Oakland Athletics, and if it weren't for 12 blown saves by their bullpen, they would have the best record in the majors. GM Jerry DiPoto has done a great job upgrading the bullpen the past couple weeks with the acquisitions of Jason Grilli (from the Pirates) and Joe Thatcher (from the Diamondbacks), but why stop there? A blockbuster to get one of the game's best closers, in Huston Street, would be huge.

Street, 30, is controllable though 2015 at an affordable $7 million per season. He's also having a career year, with 23 saves, a 1.13 ERA and a 0.78 WHIP. Add Street to the Angels' bullpen, and the team can start printing postseason tickets.

Grandal, who, at age 25, has yet to fully develop, would be the long-term catcher for the Angels and would benefit from playing under Mike Scioscia, a former All-Star catcher. Grandal has struggled the past two years at the plate, but his career numbers -- 16 homers, 64 RBIs and a slash line of .246/.349/.409 in 455 at-bats -- are still respectable. He would benefit from a change of scenery. He's a smart, good kid who I think would thrive in the Angels' environment, though he'd probably have to settle for a backup role this year.

In return, the Padres load up on prospects as their rebuilding program under the new GM gets under way.

Terrible trade idea and supporting article.

Gut the farm for a guy that pitches one inning every couple of days or so?

I also hate when articles say stuff like, "If it weren't for 12 blown saves...." No shit. If the Angels scored more than their opponents they would also have the best record. Bullpens are going to blow games, it happens. Saying if they didn't ever do that that the team would be the best is pretty redundant.

To be fair, street will cost more than anyone one here has really admitted so far.

That said, it wont be what this is suggesting

Very true....the reality is you could probably get him for something less than Bowden is proposing but it will be more than most on those board would find acceptable.....the Pads are in good shape with Street....the don't have to trade him since he has a 2015 option and there will be a good maket for him if they decide to move him....

Either Street or Benoit would cost Lindsey and Cowart. I'm in favor of standing pat. No bullpen move makes the Angels better than the A's for remainder of the year or punches their ticket to October. The best you hope for is that the Angels win their one game playoff and play the way they're capable of against Oakland.

The Angels already look like a playoff team and no RP changes that.

Too a point I agree scotty. But the lack of depth arms wise still scares me

Heres another problem. Guys like cowart and lindsey may help us in 2 years. It may take them another year or two to figure it out.

At that point, weaver will be gone, cj too. Maybe we replace them with equal or even better guys. But pujols will be older, as will hamilton. Trout will still be trout, and likely calhoun too. But aybar and kendrick will be gone, etc etc.

Not saying at all we cant contonue to build and patch...but so will everyone else. My only point being, I dont see us near term being any better off over the next two or three than we are now.

Were all still burned by the grienke deal. It didnt work out, but I still rhink it was the right move. And none of who we gave up has really bit us, except one half year of segura (so far).

If we have to overpay, agreed, stand pat. But personally, if we have the depth at 2b, I wouldnt mind flipping one and a cowart to lock up the pen. 'Lock up' is a stretch because nothing is guaranteed. But street in the 9th with smith for the 8th and maybe a possible 7th to plate grilli and jepsen etc is pretty great

Plus I used to loclve reading street and smiths baseball mag when I was a kid...its a sign

Anyone notice no one complains about trading Segura anymore? Maybe it as Scout alluded to, his one half of a season where he looked like the second coming of Jeter faded quickly. Now his. 587 OPS is quietly going unnoticed.

How are we still burned by the grienke deal?

Segura isn't what he was last season plus he was blocked by Aybar.

Hellweg isn't exactly lighting it up either and I think he had tj surgery

Pena 5-6 4.86 era 91k 54bb in 86ip

Still too early to give it a final grade....Segura still can turn it around after a fast start, he is very talented....the pitchers, who knows...we'll see....

Still too early to give it a final grade....Segura still can turn it around after a fast start, he is very talented....the pitchers, who knows...we'll see....

The pitcher's will probably have to carve out a career in the bullpen. Maybe they become good relievers. Whoop dee doo

Segura is still young enough and he has the upside/potential, but obviously the team is doing fine at SS with Aybar

Anyone notice no one complains about trading Segura anymore? Maybe it as Scout alluded to, his one half of a season where he looked like the second coming of Jeter faded quickly. Now his. 587 OPS is quietly going unnoticed.

I wish we had another Segura, Hellweg, and Pena, only to make that trade again.     That was one of Dipoto's best moves, talk about maximizing value.