• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hypothetic Trade Ideas

Regarding Price.  The Rays are 9.5 games out of first and 9.5 games out of a wild card.  Price will have one more year of arbitration before becoming a Free Agent.  If he doesn't sign a King Felix type extension, I can see them trading him before the trade deadline to get a max return.  

Do the Angels have enough to get him.  Probably.  But it probably would not be worth it on the Angels side, because it would include some of our good young talent, both in the MLB and high end prospects.

Starting pitching will be a premium at the trade deadline this year, like all years.  Look at what the A's gave up.  

On the SP shopping List...

Cole Hamels PHI
Tyson Ross SD
David Price TB
Ian Kennedy SD
Dallas Keuchel HOU
A.J. Burnett PHI
Phil Hughes MIN
Collin McHugh HOU

On the RP shopping List...

Huston Street SD
Glen Perkins MIN
Addison Reed ARI
Jonathan Papelbon PHI
Joakim Soria TEX

Papelbon

Street

Benoit

Reed

Back end help is what we need

I feel comfortable with our SP right now.

A solid rotation in the playoffs of

Richards

Weaver

Wilson

Skaggs/Shoe/Santiago

Depending if we go with a 3 or 4 man rotation

Skaggs could end up in the pen? Shoemaker Imo is a better starter than reliever. Although he was impressive last night on very short notice

Forgot about Jon Lester~ I might be open to Lester and Koji and toss 4 suspects at the Sox. I do believe Lester will bail out of everywhere if he becomes a FA he will go to NY and follow the Cashe'.

Boston does look like a team that is ready to sell.  10 games out.

FA's next season:

Lackey

Peavy

Drew

Dempster

Lester

Pierzynski

Gomes

Ross

Miller

Badenhop

Of the group.  Lester does look tempting.  And considering that next season they need a catcher.  And looking at the depth chart, their outfielding skus to a point that Shuck might be a huge improvement.  (And not saying it's going to be Lester for Shuck, just commenting on how bad their OF situation is)  

But for a rental, I can see a mutually beneficial trade between the two teams.

honestly im not really interested in any starters.. cost is too high, and we really dont need anymore in that regard in my opinion.

i would much prefer to go after relievers and shorten the games as to me the bullpen is the one thing that has hurt us the most without question.

give me 1 or 2 good bullpen guys over any starter right now and were in the post season.

Ian Kennedy

3.71 ERA

2.93 FIP

9.7 K/9

2.3 BB/9

He's also pitched better on the road (3.40 ERA) than he has at Petco. Dunno what he'd cost, but I'm sure it'd be a lot less than Price. If the Angels were looking to acquire a starter, he'd be my choice.

Edited by SoWhat

Dipoto isn't interested in starters either. And as for Price vs. Richards, I'll take Richards. His stuff is better, he's younger, cheaper and doesn't come with the hype of orevious success.

The most likely trade we'll see is for Benoit. It's likely going to cost Taylor Lindsey/Grant Green/Alex Yarbrough and Cowart. I think it'll probably end upbeing Lindsey and Cowart for Benoit which is too high of a price to pay but if you want a shut down bullpen, that's what it costs.

Personally, I'd stand pat. Prices are inflated at the deadline and no RP will likely be the difference between a divisional playoff birth and having to go through a one game playoff. It sucks but Oakland just looks too good right now to keep the Angeks from winning the West. In a 5 or 7 game series though, we can beat them.

You guys are all well versed with our major leaguers so I won't get into those. But we have some minor leaguers worth holding onto and worth trading.

Worth trading: Lindsey. We have 2B depth, he's a good 2B but Yarbrough should be equally as valuable, Green can be special someday and Kendrick's a cornerstone under contract for another year.

Stamets. He's a great defensive shortstop. But he hasn't been able to consistently hit or take advantage of his outstanding speed. Guys like that are a dime a dozen. I like him though, he has the tools to be very good. Also, Rondon is the real deal.

Do NOT trade: Yarbrough, Cowart, Rondon or young pitching. Yarbrough's trade value isn't as high as Lindsey's because he's a level lower, doesn't have the same discipline and isn't a former 1st rounder. But in the major leagyes Yarbrough may be just as good if not better. Trading him wouldn't get us fair value. Cowart's value is too low right now anyway, you don't trade guys with upside at their lowest value. Rondon has everything it takes to be a major league SS, he just needs a couple more years of development.

You know a lot more about the farm than me, so I'm curious as to what makes you think Yarbrough will be the better player. Both seem kinda similar, but Lindsey has the better plate discipline and power, so what is it that makes you prefer Yarbrough? Edited by SoWhat

i think benoit goes back to detroit.

i like ian kennedy, tyrson ross is pretty underrated, but i think the padres want to keep him.

cliff lee is gettable for money. cole hamels is not. the problem with amaro is he perpetually thinks they're "in it". he's really bad.

i'll take richards now over price. one of the mistakes the angels have made over the last few years is paying guys for what they have done with other teams. that's multiplied when they're out of their prime years. 

we'll see what, if any, moves we make.

You know a lot more about the farm than me, so I'm curious as to what makes you think Yarbrough will be the better player. Both seem kinda similar, but Lindsey has the better plate discipline and power, so what is it that makes you prefer Yarbrough?

As a prospect, I like Lindsey better for obvious reasons but once they're major leaguers all the hype goes out the window and all that counts is production. Yarbrough will hit for a higher BA while Lindsey will have a higher OBP. Lindsey has slightly more over the wall power but Yarbrough will frequent the gaps more often. Lindsey is left handed but Yarbrough is a switch hitter. Defensively, Lindsey has the quicker first step and has more range to his glove side while Yarbrough has more range going up the middle and a slightly better arm. They're the same age.

Lindsey's value is higher and will get more in a trade, but as major leaguers, I think you'll see the same production. Lindsey will hit .270/.340 with 25 DB 10 HR 5 SB and average defense. Yarbrough will hit .290/.330 35 DB 5 HR 10 SB with average defense.

In terms if value, I believe they'll be roughly the same player. But if teams are willing to pay for one more than the other, I'd take full advantage.

What about a package for Kennedy and Street/Benoit? Kennedy is a borderline 2.

I've also heard we wouldn't have to give up much if we pay most of lee's salary, thoughts?

Lee is on the DL, so no trade now, but checking his stats, they are good.  Don't know how/why he went to the DL though.