• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cliff Lee

He has playoff success and can dominate a game. I would give up Santiago a Cowart type and another guy.

I don't know, Phillies would have to eat a lot of money. Lee is owed up to $52,500,000 the next two years, if his option for 2016 vests.

He might be available, and cheaper than price due to his contract.

Aside from how he can bolster the rotation, it would be priceless to see the youtube video of stamm if we were to win it all with lee, hamilton and cj. Throw in pujols and freese...it....it...it would be too perfect almost

Shit, now that you put it like that, get it done Dipoto!

Major buyer beware here.  

It's doubtful his option will vest unless he has an excellent 2015.  So you are stuck with about 33mil for 1.5 years of service.  

And he's on the DL with a strained elbow.  

To me, the best way to do this is to take on all his salary and not give up any young pitching.  Even Santiago.  

There is just too much risk to do so.  

As I've said all along, in regards to Cliff, I would love him on the team, just don't know what it'll take to get him. I do think this team could really use another stud pitcher. Richards, Lee, Weaver, Wilson, and Skaggs is pretty damn effective. Only question for me would be the pen, I think Morin, Smith, Jepsen, Thatcher, and even Roth in the long-man role is very solid, but I'm not sold on Grilli. 

Think about it, Trout, Hamilton, Lee, Richards, Weaver, Skaggs, Calhoun, Howie, Aybar, Pujols...

The problem here is that the Phillies, who do not use an abundance of advanced metrics in their trade evaluations, probably look at Cliff Lee as a primary trade chip despite the fact that he has been recently injured and carries a very significant salary.

I'm a little worried they will be asking for more than they can realistically get for him. However if the Phillies decide to reboot (finally) this may be a real option for us as Lee is a difference maker (when healthy) and I certainly don't think Arte would be afraid to break the bank in trying to win.

Halos would be able to get him without giving up much of anything if they took on the entirety of his contract. Arte's call if he wants to fork over $20+ million for another guy over the next few years

Only way we'd get him. Don't have the young talent for a trade without giving up a piece we're currently relying on. 

Probably not going to happen. Arte's already committed to paying several old mf's in ridiculous contracts. 

I don't know, Phillies would have to eat a lot of money. Lee is owed up to $52,500,000 the next two years, if his option for 2016 vests.

I just looked over a contract summary to see what it would take for the 2016 vesting to kick in. The summary I read didn't make it clear whether it was a player option, team option or joint option. An article I read says that it automatically vests if performance milestones are met. He has a $12.5M buyout for 2016 that becomes guaranteed with 200 IP in 2015 or 400 IP in 2014-'15. Thus far, within a week or so of the All Star break, he has 68 IP for 2014. He would really have to rack up some innings for the buyout to become guaranteed, and at age 35 that may not be much of a possibility.

I presume that the 2016 contract for $27.5M has the same vesting provision as the guaranteed buyout. $12.5M is a lot of money to pay someone to go away.

If the Angels bite on Lee, my concern is for 2015. They would be stuck with him on the roster no matter how bad he is, and that is a lot of money to sink into a pitcher who may well become a dead loss by next season ($24M). I can't imagine the Phillies eating most of that unless they get something significant in return.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I dont think necessarily lee is a good target. Hes older and super expensive. The only reasons I mentioned him were because with his contract he might be cheaper prospect wise (and we can afford to add payroll, lets be honest), and like insaid, it would be pretty epic for ranger fan to have to watch.

But who else does anyone see out there who might be available? Someone mentioned hammels. Its tough because theres a bunch of teams somewhat close to the second wild card so there wont be as much movement.

Rockies, pads might be a fit. No idea what Cinc plans to do with cueto, hes an FA after this season. I still think st lou is a fit with their arms and our bats. After that, maybe TB? (Doubt it though).

Edited by ten ocho recon scout