• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Meanwhile, down on the farm...

Just in case you believe that there might be bullpen help at AAA, the Salt Lake Bees blew not one, but two saves last night at Cashman Field, blowing a 7-3 lead in the last two innings to tie the game and then blowing a one-run lead in the tenth, losing to the Las Vegas 51s 9-8 in ten innings.

The pitchers carrying on the "Angel way" were Yoslan Herrera (8th and 9th) and Fernando Nieve (10th).

The good news is that J. B. Shuck is hitting .330 for the Bees.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

There is bullpen help on the farm.  Bedrosian, Alvarez, Reynolds and Diaz.  You won't find a better quartet in all of minor league baseball.  As far as RP go, with the exception of 2B, that's the only spot where the Angels have an over-abundance of depth. 

Diaz has some nasty shit. 90 mph changeup? And according to some at BP, that's his third best pitch.

He might be this year's version of '02 K-Rod.

It's hard to hear the scout talk over the ambient noise, but the first pitch was 100.

Edited by Mark68

Brennan Boesch, last 28 days: 1.195 OPS

Ahhh, good ol' minor league numbers

I was about to say it's too bad they (read: Fangraphs or Baseabll Reference) don't have park factor adjusted stats for the minors. 

Another banner performance by the SLC pen tonight.  

Dane de la broken got one out while walking three guys and Brandon Sisk failed to record an out while giving up 2 runs on 2 hits.  Berg also gave up a run, a walk, and a hit.  Any one of those guys could be up on the big club if they just found a way to get their act together.  

Our new hope is the one and only Kyler Newby.  

please.  PLEASE! get us just one more reliable pen arm.  please.  

Another banner performance by the SLC pen tonight.  

Dane de la broken got one out while walking three guys and Brandon Sisk failed to record an out while giving up 2 runs on 2 hits.  Berg also gave up a run, a walk, and a hit.  Any one of those guys could be up on the big club if they just found a way to get their act together.  

Our new hope is the one and only Kyler Newby.  

please.  PLEASE! get us just one more reliable pen arm.  please.  

So I just looked it up, and there have been more Kylers in baseball than I expected.

7 with the first name Kyler besides Newby. He does have a chance at being the first Kyler in the big leagues though!

You're right Mark68, Diaz is absolutely filthy.  I know the Orioles did just about everything in their power to trade for him 3 years ago when his value was down and the Angels wouldn't bite.  I think they had it in mind that he was going to be a reliever the whole time, sort of like how they see Alfonso Alcantara right now. The kid is hitting 100 as a starter and isn't having as much success as he should, so it's almost a given he'll end up in the pen.  I was hoping Sappington would remain a starter but after this year you gotta figure they'll move him to the pen as well.  The Angels have so much relief pitching in the minors. 

As for Borenstein, the guy needed to be moved away from AAA pitching.  The environment was in his favor but at this point he's just not ready for it.  He'll make the adjustments in time but at least this will temper some expectations a bit.  He still has the power bat from the left-side that you love to see coming off the bench late in a game. 

If this is Jairo Diaz that everyone is talking about, yes, he "isn't having as much success as he should".

In fact, his minor league numbers, outside of rookie league and 6 innings in AA this year, are downright horrible.

Could we be talking about a different Diaz?

Edited by fan_since79

Same guy different role, different year, different approach. It's the whole point of the minor leagues, to refine your game and adjust. Right now, he looks different than years past. I don't know if he needs to be promoted, but I do think putting him in a late inning or closer role and limiting him to 1 inning might tell us more about where he is.