• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

NBA Free Agency

nando714

Lakers aren't going to do shit until Kobe is off the books. They have money with Pau likely gone, but no one is going to want to waste their time here unless it's Lance Stephenson types that get paid and the Lakers are dumb enough to do it.

I guess the Lakers feel "confident" after meeting with Melo.

It's LA or NY imo.

Isn't his wife a tv personality or something like that? I think that will play a huge role. Not much going on in Dallas or Houston in her area of business I assume?

There is a clause in Nash's contract that allows them to extend his $10M owed over 3 years. That would free up $7M this year. Plus they would still have a mid-level exemption I believe.

It's not all gloom and doom this offseason for the Lakers. They have a chance to put something together real quick for a final run with Kobe that won't jeopardize the future.

Ok so they spread that Nash contract over 3 year so that's 3 mil on the books this year(Nash will have to be cut then). They still need to sign Randle who will cost in the 3 million range. Kobe's contract is 24 million. I forgot about Sacre, that's about a million. So that's 31 mil for Kobe, Randle and Sacre. Leaving 31 million to spend. If Melo decides them that's another 24 million leaving 7 million to spend. Still don't see how this is a championship caliber team with Kobe, Randle, Melo and 7 million in cap space.

Ok so they spread that Nash contract over 3 year so that's 3 mil on the books this year(Nash will have to be cut then). They still need to sign Randle who will cost in the 3 million range. Kobe's contract is 24 million. I forgot about Sacre, that's about a million. So that's 31 mil for Kobe, Randle and Sacre. Leaving 31 million to spend. If Melo decides them that's another 24 million leaving 7 million to spend. Still don't see how this is a championship caliber team with Kobe, Randle, Melo and 7 million in cap space.

I have yet to see it reported that Melo will only sign for a max deal. I know the Knicks can offer that... but they are the Knicks. I have yet to hear he refuses to sign for anything less.

Also, Melo can sign a deal with an opt out after 2 years so that he can sign a max deal after Kobe leaves. Or is that against the rules?

Edited by xboom28x

Just read that the Lakers offered the max deal. Even if Melo accepts, Lakers still can add a mid level exemption at $5M and a veteran's exemption at $1M. If the team has Melo, Kobe and Randle, someone will come for that mid level exemption that can produce and be the 4th guy.

It's the way the NBA salary cap is configured. With 30 teams in the NBA, players and agents think that each team should have at least one max contract. If a struggling franchise can't get a 2nd tier player to come to their town, they offer a max deal to entice them. See Joe Johnson and Rudy Gay.