• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hobby Lobby

you all seem to keep forgetting that hilary will fix everything that's wrong with obamacare beginning jan. 2017.

I remember a few months ago some website ranked by % the chances of those going for the democratic and republication nominations in 2016.  I died a little inside when I realized our choices may realistically (i.e. 3rd party has no shot) come down to a Clinton or Bush.

Edit - Some quotes from Ginsburg's dissenting opinion.  I'm pulling these from another board so if they're wrong or inaccurate let me know as I don't have time to read through her dissent right now:

"It bears note in this regard that the cost of an IUD is nearly equivalent to a month's full-time pay for workers earning the minimum wage."

"Would the exemption…extend to employers with religiously grounded objections to blood transfusions (Jehovah's Witnesses); antidepressants (Scientologists); medications derived from pigs, including anesthesia, intravenous fluids, and pills coated with gelatin (certain Muslims, Jews, and Hindus); and vaccinations[?]…Not much help there for the lower courts bound by today's decision."

"Approving some religious claims while deeming others unworthy of accommodation could be 'perceived as favoring one religion over another,' the very 'risk the [Constitution's] Establishment Clause was designed to preclude."

"The court, I fear, has ventured into a minefield."

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

I remember a few months ago some website ranked by % the chances of those going for the democratic and republication nominations in 2016.  I died a little inside when I realized our choices may realistically (i.e. 3rd party has no shot) come down to a Clinton or Bush.

Edit - Some quotes from Ginsburg's dissenting opinion.  I'm pulling these from another board so if they're wrong or inaccurate let me know as I don't have time to read through her dissent right now:

"It bears note in this regard that the cost of an IUD is nearly equivalent to a month's full-time pay for workers earning the minimum wage."

"Would the exemption…extend to employers with religiously grounded objections to blood transfusions (Jehovah's Witnesses); antidepressants (Scientologists); medications derived from pigs, including anesthesia, intravenous fluids, and pills coated with gelatin (certain Muslims, Jews, and Hindus); and vaccinations[?]…Not much help there for the lower courts bound by today's decision."

"Approving some religious claims while deeming others unworthy of accommodation could be 'perceived as favoring one religion over another,' the very 'risk the [Constitution's] Establishment Clause was designed to preclude."

"The court, I fear, has ventured into a minefield."

Why not? People have the freedom to choose to work for a company or not. 

It's humorous to me that Libs are acting like drama queens over the "slippery slope" that might occur with the court's narrow ruling today, yet they don't see slippery slopes as an issue when it comes to gun control laws.

And visa versa with Cons. 

It's humorous to me that Libs are acting like drama queens over the "slippery slope" that might occur with the court's narrow ruling today, yet they don't see slippery slopes as an issue when it comes to gun control laws.

And visa versa with Cons. 

As with most things, the middle ground is usually the best solution. My concern is about employers now feeling emboldened about tailoring benefit packages and even work environments to align with their religious beliefs, thereby forcing them on their employees. Sure, employees have the option of working elsewhere, but the economy isn't exactly brimming with job opportunities, and I can see some employers using this as an excuse to impose their wills on aspects their employees' lives in areas where they have no business venturing. The example of the Jehovah's Witnesses isn't as far fetched as one might believe. Maybe a JH-owned business sets up a benefit package that doesn't cover blood transfusions in the event of surgery or a serious accident. Maybe a scientology-owned business offers no mental health coverage. At what point does a business become an extension of the church the owners attend? If I go to work for a church, for example, I know what I'm getting into. If I were a Hobby Lobby employee, I would have no idea about any of this were it not for the news media coverage. It reminds me of the church-run day care center in Oklahoma that tried to bar state health inspectors from coming in because it was a "ministry" (incidentally, they were breaking just about every day care law possible). Somewhere there has to be a firm line between the two. You're either a ministry or a business, but not both.

We haven't heard the last of this, and it's going to be a long and ugly ride, IMO.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

if you amortize an iud it's not too expensive. $100 a year or so since they can last 5 - 12 years.

have you ever had a condom break on you? it's panic with all hands on deck. the worst thing is it's not uncommon. iud's have a very low failure rate.

This might be a really stupid question. But if IUDs are so expensive, why not just use condoms? Or that sponge Elaine Benes is so fond of?

because elaine bought up the rest of the available stock when the company announced they were going out of business.

As with most things, the middle ground is usually the best solution. My concern is about employers now feeling emboldened about tailoring benefit packages and even work environments to align with their religious beliefs, thereby forcing them on their employees. Sure, employees have the option of working elsewhere, but the economy isn't exactly brimming with job opportunities, and I can see some employers using this as an excuse to impose their wills on aspects their employees' lives in areas where they have no business venturing. The example of the Jehovah's Witnesses isn't as far fetched as one might believe. Maybe a JH-owned business sets up a benefit package that doesn't cover blood transfusions in the event of surgery or a serious accident. Maybe a scientology-owned business offers no mental health coverage. At what point does a business become an extension of the church the owners attend? If I go to work for a church, for example, I know what I'm getting into. If I were a Hobby Lobby employee, I would have no idea about any of this were it not for the news media coverage. It reminds me of the church-run day care center in Oklahoma that tried to bar state health inspectors from coming in because it was a "ministry" (incidentally, they were breaking just about every day care law possible). Somewhere there has to be a firm line between the two. You're either a ministry or a business, but not both.

We haven't heard the last of this, and it's going to be a long and ugly ride, IMO.

Again, the narrow scope of this ruling makes all the slippery slope "what if's" just kind of ... dramatic.  It's not like Ford, GE, Walmart, etc. can follow suit.  

And anyone who doesn't do research on a company they're considering going to work for deserves what they get.  The internet makes this pretty easy.  Go to Hobby Lobby's website and look under their "Our Company" section.  The first thing they list under things they're committed to is, "Honoring the Lord in all we do by operating the company in a manner consistent with biblical principles."  If you're not down with that ... great!  Go work at Michaels.  Go work at Hobby Town.  

It's just a joke that employers are even involved in healthcare in the first place.

But I do agree with you.  We haven't heard the last of this, and it's going to be a long and ugly ride.

because elaine bought up the rest of the available stock when the company announced they were going out of business.

Elaine and that girl Jerry was dating who dumped him when she found out he changed the size 34 on his jeans to a 32.

if you amortize an iud it's not too expensive. $100 a year or so since they can last 5 - 12 years.

have you ever had a condom break on you? it's panic with all hands on deck. the worst thing is it's not uncommon. iud's have a very low failure rate.

That's when you're like "oh my God this condom just started to feel awesome". You know what has happened but you chose to be in denial about it at that moment.