• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register will start charging people to read online

I subscribe to the LA Times and its only $18 a month.  Not $2 a day!

I have no problem with paying a subscription for online newspapers.  I am surprised they didn't start doing it sooner.  The internet has been forcing newspapers out of business, this maybe one way they can survive.

Yep, they do, but I just don't think their coverage is worth $2 a day. I also thought others should be advised.

I don't have a problem with them charging for content. I happily pay for places with great, unique content. Hell, I deliberately pay the monthly price at Baseball Prospectus instead of the cheaper annual price because I want to support them more. But $38 a month or whatever for the digital edition of the OCR? Hell no!

Why in the world did they make it all or nothing with such an expensive price? The only thing I read the OCR for is the Angels coverage. If they just charged $5 a month to view just the sport section, I'd sign up for it. Maybe I am alone in that because, frankly, their coverage is not great. Fletcher is a good beat reporter, but at the end of the day, he is just doing stories that the other beat guys are doing. Mike DiG at LA Times and Alden on the Angels site provide all the same info. That would mean I'd actually be paying for hacks like Jeff Miller and Mark Whicker, which actually makes me rethink whether or not I'd pay that $5 I suggested.

I just don't see the all-or-nothing pricing model working.

BTW, I applaud these newspapers for doing this.  We can discuss whether we like (fill in the blank OC Register writer), but it is asinine to put sweat into a product and give it away for free.

Agree. I subscribe to the online version of three newspapers and have no problem paying to read the content that costs these publications a lot of money to research/cover, write, and publish.

Steve Bisheff was the primary reason I stopped getting the Register way back when, so I've grown accustomed to not reading their work.   I'd still read it at the office when I was based out of Irvine, loved Sam Miller and was happy when he joined BB Prospectus.  Jeff Fletcher's posts here made me consider taking another look at the OCR but, I guess that ship has sailed now.

I do wish them well.  The OCR always reminds me of growing up in OC, and as others have stated, their coverage of local prep Sports was always very good.

BTW, I applaud these newspapers for doing this.  We can discuss whether we like (fill in the blank OC Register writer), but it is asinine to put sweat into a product and give it away for free.

Except when it is the best Angels fan website - then it is expected to be free.

I wondered this too.

They will piss people off to tweet something interesting and relevant only to have it paywalled.

I'm not sure they can even do that. 

I guess that would mean the stuff Fletcher tweets nowadays will be limited? 

I miss the days when the first thing you did in the morning ... was grab the newspaper and a cup of coffee.

I usually grab the wife and leave the paper and coffee for later.

Checking their FAQ the subscription price is $7 a week or $2 for 24 hours. If you choose the weekly subscription they bill once every 5 weeks which comes to $35. I am still not interested at that price but it is $1 per day for the digital content as a subscriber.

http://www2.ocregister.com/faq/#q3

I'd like to see the local newspapers get together and offer folks a small monthly fee to read their papers collectively. I'd pay that. I never read an actual newspaper, but that's partly because its cost went up and up and up and so did the ad content. 

This paywall model is not going to work. $2 a day for non-subscribers is $60 a month. Who is going to pay $60 a month? Did they have an online only subscription that I didn't see?

I don't want the actual paper, just would like to read an Angels article now and again. Yet, a lot of their stuff comes from AP anyway.

The Register has been a joke for a while.  It is always behind the LA Times, the OC Weekly etc when it comes to breaking newsworthy stories.  Absent the work of one or two reporters (Whiting for one), the stories are usually uniformative and cumulative of other news agencies.  I can't imagine that this will be a good move in the long run. 

I usually grab the wife and leave the paper and coffee for later.

Checking their FAQ the subscription price is $7 a week or $2 for 24 hours. If you choose the weekly subscription they bill once every 5 weeks which comes to $35. I am still not interested at that price but it is $1 per day for the digital content as a subscriber.

http://www2.ocregister.com/faq/#q3

I was a subscriber (daily) for years and always got a discount. When that "discount' period ended, I just requested the same price and I got it:)